Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Seaside or Prosperity?  (Read 14400 times)

Gorbacz

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Seaside or Prosperity?
« on: September 13, 2011, 01:59:23 pm »

New Dominion addict here. Got the base set, Intrigue and Cornucopia, curious about which expansion to buy next: Prosperity or Seaside? I'll leave Alchemy fot the last...

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: Seaside or Prosperity?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 02:11:51 pm »

IMO, seaside is the best expansion. I'm not a huge fan of prosperity, which I think introduces too many power cards. Seaside has lots of really good $3 cards, as well as cards that let you start your turn with more cards, and generally allows for more cool combo stuff, which I think makes the game more interesting and fun.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 02:22:51 pm »

I think Seaside is the most fun expansion, but you should eventually get 'em all.  All the sets have fun cards that help shape the game into what it is today.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 02:52:09 pm »

Seaside is my favorite expansion, too.  Even if you took the Duration cards out, many of which are among my favorites, it would still probably be my favorite expansion.

Prosperity is great for introducing Colony games, which lengthens the game just enough that a lot of fun engine strategies really pay off.  But if I were to put the four full-size expansions in a strict ranking, it would probably rate last by a nose.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 03:41:48 pm »

Prosperity is the best expansion, full stop. It enlarges the strategy space more than any of the others. (It's funny to see Prosperity dinged for introducing "too many power cards" when Ambassador and Sea Hag from Seaside are the #1 and #2 most important power openers in the 2p game.)

But you can't go wrong with any expansion other than maybe Alchemy. I predict you'll be happy either way, and eventually you should definitely get both ;D

edit: OK, actually Sea Hag is probably only the #3 most important power opener after Masquerade, but Masquerade isn't from Prosperity either!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 04:02:56 pm by guided »

HLennartz

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 03:45:57 pm »

I'd go with Seaside first. It's more fundamental, and also, I think the new dimension that Prosperity adds to the game is more fun after you've experienced all the stuff that comes before it.

...(It's funny to see Prosperity dinged for introducing "too many power cards" when Ambassador and Sea Hag from Seaside are the #1 and #2 most important power openers in the 2p game.)...

Possibly since Prosperity's theme is "big scale," its cards feel especially powerful.

Gorbacz

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 06:09:39 pm »

Oh, I intend to collect'em all (OCD collector kicking in...now, where are the promo cards?) but I have to prioritize my spendings, alas.

It's just the matter of what comes first. Great game, really.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 06:16:28 pm »

Oh, I intend to collect'em all (OCD collector kicking in...now, where are the promo cards?) but I have to prioritize my spendings, alas.

It's just the matter of what comes first. Great game, really.

I ordered the promos off of Boardgamegeek... they were 1 cent + $4.99 shipping each.  I searched around for better deals on ebay and such and couldn't find any, but maybe someone else has a better idea.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Saucery

• Thief
  • Respect: +82
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 02:47:57 am »

In my opinion prosperity adds the most strategic depth and is by far the most bang for your buck.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 03:46:34 am »

Buy either this month, then the other the next month.

That's how I did it.  ::)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Buggz

• Spy
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 04:23:16 am »

Buy all six sets while you're in the shop because you're thinking "Oh well, I'm going to buy them all at some point anyway".

That's how I did it.

heatthespurs

• Spy
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 04:31:39 am »

Buy either this month, then the other the next month.

That's how I did it.  ::)

Great idea. For me, though, next month have been reserved for Hinterland!  :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:33:57 am by heatthespurs »

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 11:35:10 am »

The first two sets I bought were the base game and Prosperity.  I later added Intrigue, Cornucopia, and Seaside in that order. 

Now that I have played all of them, I really appreciate why everyone loves the Duration cards in Seaside.  They really add a cool element to the game.  It also has some powerful attack cards that are popular.

However, I am very glad that I bought Prosperity early on.  I definitely don't recommend Prosperity to someone new to the game, but by your description of what you already have, that is not an issue for you.  My wife and I love Prosperity because it adds the Colonies and Platinums.  For us, it adds so much more depth to the game, and allows you to really investigate different stategies more because it usually lengthens the game.  It has a number of cards that cost $7, which also gives you more choices when you hit the dreaded $7 rather than $8.  And it has some cards in it that have become very popular among Dominion players, including Goons, Mountebank, City, Grand Market, Peddler, Watchtower (the best reaction card), and King's Court.  We actually use the Colonies and Platinums whenever we possibly can in our games, even if we don't have the suggested 5 Prosperity cards in the game.

Basically, I believe that it boils down to what you like about the game.  If your favorite thing about it is how fast each game plays, then you will enjoy Seaside more.  But if you like the idea of your games being a little longer and allowing you to explore more options in a game, then I definitely recommend Prosperity as your next expansion.  Either way, though, I am sure you will be pleased.

Gorbacz

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 12:49:34 pm »

Thanks folks, I'll ask my gaming group if they are ready to move on to a new style of game that Prosperity offers - if not, I'll stick with Seaside until they get the hang of the game.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.