Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Halfback  (Read 2501 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
Halfback
« on: January 06, 2013, 09:11:47 pm »

Halfback
Action - $4
+$1
+2 Buys
---
While a Halfback is in play, when you gain a card, +$ equal to half its cost in coins (rounded down)

Compare to Bridge and Haggler. The wording is such that even if you have multiple Halfbacks in play, you still only get the same bonus (to avoid sudden explosions of money). It's on gain instead of on buy so it can combo with workshop and remodel variants - although that may be too powerful.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
Re: Halfback
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 09:19:22 pm »

Interesting... so with $8 you can buy an $8, a $4 card, a $2 card and a $1 card (if you have the buys). Get's a bit crazy if you have Hagglers or Talismans in play as well. Could be interesting.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:32:36 pm »
+2

The wording is such that even if you have multiple Halfbacks in play, you still only get the same bonus (to avoid sudden explosions of money).

This wording doesn't work for what you want to do. Each copy of the card in play still triggers when you buy a card. Sure, they all check "Hey, is a Halfback in play?" when you do, but they each have the ability, and they each resolve independently.

The only way I know for sure to get around this is by wording it like "In games using this, when you buy a card with one or more copies of this in play,...". Any other wording will happen for every copy in play.

I guess you could do something like "When you buy a card, unless you've gained $ since you last bought a card this turn,..." but man is that even weirder.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 09:39:01 pm »

The wording is such that even if you have multiple Halfbacks in play, you still only get the same bonus (to avoid sudden explosions of money).

This wording doesn't work for what you want to do. Each copy of the card in play still triggers when you buy a card. Sure, they all check "Hey, is a Halfback in play?" when you do, but they each have the ability, and they each resolve independently.

The only way I know for sure to get around this is by wording it like "In games using this, when you buy a card with one or more copies of this in play,...". Any other wording will happen for every copy in play.

I guess you could do something like "When you buy a card, unless you've gained $ since you last bought a card this turn,..." but man is that even weirder.

How about exactly what's written, plus "If another copy of Halfback is in play, set this card aside after playing it.  During Cleanup, discard all cards set aside in this manner."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 03:49:41 am »

How about exactly what's written, plus "If another copy of Halfback is in play, set this card aside after playing it.  During Cleanup, discard all cards set aside in this manner."

I would probably put that in the 'on play text', then. Like

Halfback
Action - $4
+$1
+2 Buys
If this isn't the first time you played a Halfback this turn, set this aside. If you do, at the start of Clean-up this turn, discard this.
---
While this is in play, when you gain a card, +$ equal to half its cost in coins, rounded down.

Sakako

• Navigator
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 03:50:36 am »

Why not just do what Outpost does, and make it "While this is in play, when you buy a card, +$ equal to half its cost in coins (rounded down). This effect only happens once per buy."? Or something like that.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 03:52:23 am »

I think the best way would be just to say "While at least one..." or "While one or more...".

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 09:53:02 am »
+2

I think the best way would be just to say "While at least one..." or "While one or more...".

But if you have two copies in play, they still both work. Each copy has this ability, however you word it, and each copy will evaluate the statement "While one or more of this is in play...", and return TRUE. And so each copy will provide whatever effect the ability provides.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 05:59:27 pm »

But if you have two copies in play, they still both work. Each copy has this ability, however you word it, and each copy will evaluate the statement "While one or more of this is in play...", and return TRUE. And so each copy will provide whatever effect the ability provides.

Crap.

chester

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 06:21:58 pm »

It's on gain instead of on buy so it can combo with workshop and remodel variants - although that may be too powerful.

It can get wild with Haggler(s) in play and/or Border Village in the supply.  :)

Edit: Also Hoards.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:24:57 pm by chester »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 06:24:09 pm »

What about "If this is the first Halfback you played this turn..."

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 04:22:34 am »

Would there be any problem with this?

Halfback
Action - $4
+$1
+2 buys
If you have another Halfback in play, discard this.
---
While this is in play, when you buy a card, +$ equal to half its cost in coins, rounded down

It's a sub $2 effect after being played the first time, it's a terminal, and it doesn't draw, so I'm ok with you being able to draw it and play it twice in the same turn. Are there any ridiculous combos that I haven't thought of? Any infinite loops?

Also there are too many cards that it forms game breaking combos with if it's on gain, so it's on buy.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.