Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 41  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXI: Another Dinner Party! - Mafia Win Flawlessly  (Read 108902 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXI: Another Dinner Party! (Newbie Priority Game - Day 1)
« Reply #500 on: January 29, 2013, 04:57:39 am »

Okay, so some reads:

First Kooshie. Her early defensiveness and eagerness to please read a bit scummy to me, but her slightly awkward defense read a little more like Newbie Town than Newbie scum. I think overall that leaves her on a very slight scum read.

Next sudgy. I think sudgy has become my biggest scumread, for a few reasons:

He's said a lot and given a lot of reads without actually giving many reasons or cases. That is, he seems to be saying a lot without saying much, and the reasons he has given haven't been that substantial. For example, raerae asking questions, raerae unvoting. Granted, a lot of that happened in semi-RVS, but the reasons were carried out of RVS. Then in his #435, he gives a view on everyone, and is giving "pretty big" reads, but very few reasons, or just other people's reasons. He's currently voting Kooshie without giving any of his own reasons, just talking about liopoil's "evidence", which is consistent with classic scum sheeping.

On that note, I still think this was scummy:

I'm fairly certain that either liopoil or kooshie are scum.  They both seem pretty scummy to me, but with liopoil having a fairly-convincing argument against kooshie I'm pretty sure they couldn't both be it.

I just think this certainty is more likely to benefit scum sudgy than it is Town sudgy, and it also comes after sudgy called EFHW out for being certain of something:

Something I noticed, is that EFHW seemed awfully certain that raerae is mafia...  Why is that?

Also note that EFHW's "certainty" of raerae's scumminess was based on the same reason that sudgy said raerae was scummy.

So it seems like if sudgy is scum, then he is following liopoil into the Kooshie lynch with the aim of blaming lio for it tomorrow and pushing for the lio lynch. I think this is enough for me to Vote: sudgy and see what people think.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 29, 2013, 09:16:05 am »

Sudgy is my second highest scum-read.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 29, 2013, 10:35:25 am »

I want a night to go off of (like my rl games.) So I Vote: No Lynch

Starting at night will usually not benefit any strategy, as there won't be anything to go off of.  Also, I don't think going no lynch will be good, the whole thing with having an odd number of people and such.

What's the odd number of people issue?

Let's say we have a no lynch.  There are 9 players, and during the night one of them will (usually) be killed.  So there's eight alive after that, and we need five people to lynch.  All we've done is decreased the number of town.  We could go on like this, but then as there's less people that number will get in the way more.  If there's 6 people, there's 4 needed to lynch, and if there's still two mafia everybody else still has to agree on the vote (yeah, this will happen with 5 people with two mafia, but you get the idea).  And if we no lynch again to get the numbers right we've just lost a second townie.

Basically, it's a lot harder to pull off a vote and messes with how the whole game works (at least for me).

Sorry, Sudgy, but I don't really follow what you're trying to say.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 29, 2013, 10:36:30 am »

So I was just going to change my vote to sudgy, I have made it clear my top three scum reads are efhw, sudgy, and koshie. Then I realized I voted for mail-me for lurking. This is every player in the game I haven't played with, I'm worried I have tunneled the new players and I want to go back and reread the other players, I suggest the rest of the veterans do the same.

While I stand by my previously mentioned scum reads and would support a sudgy lynch I'm not ready to cast my vote till I make a reread of the vets.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 29, 2013, 10:40:04 am »

while I have a few strong scum reads I would be okay with lynching mail-me for the lurking and providing no reads upon return.

vote: mail-mi FTFY   8)

If you have strong scum reads, why would you prefer to lynch someone just for lurking?

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 29, 2013, 10:41:00 am »

@mcmc I see our posts crossed in the mail (so to speak!)

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 29, 2013, 10:44:32 am »

Reads, not as helpful as I was hoping, time to do some reading.

EFHW - Sounds like our personalities are going to clash until she figures out I'm just sassy and not actually upset at anything, seems like she's reasonably thinking things through though, I look forward to reading more from her

Jimmmmm - Null, his post count is almost as high as mine but I don't remember anything in particular he's discussed, will have to reread

Kooshie - seems a little shady for the defensiveness, eager to please, lurking until called out, seems to be looking for other people to tell her what to have reads on, giving her a little more wiggle room for being new though, not ready to vote yet

liopoil - seems helpful with pushing things along, not real sure yet

mail-mi - needs to talk more, I don't have a read yet

mcmcsalot - trying to push the day along (in a good way), getting reads out, not being overly aggressive, seems towny

Robz888 - doesn't seem interested/invested in this game yet, was posting elsewhere on Friday but didn't post here other than one post super early in th AM, waiting to read until he posts more

sudgy - overzealous town, super excited about jumping on anything remotely scummy, I appreciate the enthusiasm

So I was doing my reread of raerae, she has pushed hard against lurkers this whole game infact after this post all she has commented on is robz lurking. While I agree with robz needing to post more you also need to post more. In this your big post with reads you say this isn't going to be helpful and then you give null reads on just about everyone. You mention you need to read more on people, this sounds to me like potential scum pushing for lurkers and not giving any real reads.
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 29, 2013, 10:45:26 am »

.... Then I realized I voted for mail-me for lurking. This is every player in the game I haven't played with, I'm worried I have tunneled the new players ...

That is so interesting.  When you don't know people, it's easier to imagine them in negative ways.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 29, 2013, 10:49:00 am »

while I have a few strong scum reads I would be okay with lynching mail-me for the lurking and providing no reads upon return.

vote: mail-mi FTFY   8)

If you have strong scum reads, why would you prefer to lynch someone just for lurking?

I can explain this, this is sort of similar to the people claiming no lynch. No lynch is definitely not what we want but if it is too hard to get a good case for scum on D1 lynching a major lurkers is always a good alternative. I was simply saying that I felt confident I'm my reads but if a consensus could not be reached I would support lynching a lurker as a good D1 alternative, worst case scenario mislynching a lurker saves a potentially more active town member.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 29, 2013, 10:50:30 am »

So I was just going to change my vote to sudgy, I have made it clear my top three scum reads are efhw, sudgy, and koshie. Then I realized I voted for mail-me for lurking. This is every player in the game I haven't played with, I'm worried I have tunneled the new players and I want to go back and reread the other players, I suggest the rest of the veterans do the same.

While I stand by my previously mentioned scum reads and would support a sudgy lynch I'm not ready to cast my vote till I make a reread of the vets.

I'm kind of in the same boat, nothing has really jumped out at me as scummy from you, raerae or Robz (except the obvious lurking).

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: January 29, 2013, 11:01:17 am »

Jimm, I would suggest a simple reread of us all, upon doing so I found hard evidence to support or dissuade most of my reads. One thing that I want to point out and correct me if I'm wrong, Jimm lives in Australia and has quite a different time zone from us. This explains why he posts during odd times and stays out of the often heated evening conversation. If anyone else lives in a time zone that isn't forum time est it would be good to let us know.

Now as for my reread, I gave my conclusion on raerae, Jimm I have a very strong town read on you, you have agreed with me in much but you have not sheeped me, you have provided reads/reasons above and beyond the ones already given for people.

Robz, he has done none of the things of the things I look for scum robz to do and has done a few things I look for town robz to do, I'm not going to say these things because I don't want robz to know what they are.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 29, 2013, 11:08:50 am »

One thing that I want to point out and correct me if I'm wrong, Jimm lives in Australia and has quite a different time zone from us. This explains why he posts during odd times and stays out of the often heated evening conversation.

This is correct, although I sometimes work nights, which is why I'm here now.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 29, 2013, 11:13:59 am »

My reread of liopoil also provided evidence similar to what I was feeling, I save a slight town read on him, he has done a good job of posting reads and his summary of the koshie case was helpful, my reason he is not as strong a town read as Jimm is because his reads do seem more like sheeping than original ideas.

I would say my current reads lie here:
Scum: sudgy, koshie, efhw
Slight scum: raerae, mail-mi(slight scum due to responses after lurking not for lurking)
Slight town: robz, liopoil
Town: Jimm
Reads go left to right most scum to least

So now I am confident with vote: sudgy

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 29, 2013, 01:05:40 pm »

Here is my list:

Scum: Liopoil, then Sudgy

Town: (in increasing order of towniness, but really all very close together)

mail-mi, mcmcsalot, raerae, Robz, Jimmmmmm, Kooshie, EFHW (of course!)

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 29, 2013, 01:27:34 pm »

I have real life stuff until late this evening, I'm in CST so it'l be semi-late for the forums, and I look forward to addressing mcmc's analysis of my reads post and the possible sudgy lynch. I aalso just realized I never gave my jimmmmm reread. That'll be updated and posted as well.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 29, 2013, 02:08:34 pm »

Vote Count 1.9:

Kooshie (2): liopoil, sudgy
Robz888 (1): raerae
Mail-mi (1): kooshie
liopoil (1): EFHW
sudgy (2): Jimmmmm, mcmcsalot

Not Voting (2): Robz888, mail-mi

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

Deadline is 4:30 p.m., forum time, on Monday, February 4.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 29, 2013, 02:22:34 pm »

Isn't Jorbles just the perfect name for a butler?   :)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 29, 2013, 02:44:30 pm »

Next sudgy. I think sudgy has become my biggest scumread, for a few reasons:

He's said a lot and given a lot of reads without actually giving many reasons or cases. That is, he seems to be saying a lot without saying much, and the reasons he has given haven't been that substantial. For example, raerae asking questions, raerae unvoting. Granted, a lot of that happened in semi-RVS, but the reasons were carried out of RVS. Then in his #435, he gives a view on everyone, and is giving "pretty big" reads, but very few reasons, or just other people's reasons. He's currently voting Kooshie without giving any of his own reasons, just talking about liopoil's "evidence", which is consistent with classic scum sheeping.

All of my first votes were trying to move the game along.  They weren't serious, they didn't have any reasoning, and if they started to turn into something I would unvote.  I realize I probably should have given my reasons for my "pretty big" reads, but I was just thinking of saying my reads without saying anything else.  I did say my reasons for voting for Kooshie.  They were the same as liopoil's.  I just didn't want to restate everything that he had already said.  I thought his argument showed kooshie was scummy.

On that note, I still think this was scummy:

I'm fairly certain that either liopoil or kooshie are scum.  They both seem pretty scummy to me, but with liopoil having a fairly-convincing argument against kooshie I'm pretty sure they couldn't both be it.

I just think this certainty is more likely to benefit scum sudgy than it is Town sudgy,

I would still be open to other ideas if we lynch kooshie and he's town.  Liopoil seemed kind of scummy, then he shows that Kooshie was also scummy.  To me, that seems like evidence that one of them is scum.

and it also comes after sudgy called EFHW out for being certain of something:

Something I noticed, is that EFHW seemed awfully certain that raerae is mafia...  Why is that?

Also note that EFHW's "certainty" of raerae's scumminess was based on the same reason that sudgy said raerae was scummy.

So it seems like if sudgy is scum, then he is following liopoil into the Kooshie lynch with the aim of blaming lio for it tomorrow and pushing for the lio lynch. I think this is enough for me to Vote: sudgy and see what people think.

I can't say much on this other than that I was just trying to help the town in finding scum.  As I said, I think both Liopoil and Kooshie are acting scummy, so I was just saying that it would probably be a good idea to lynch one of them.

I want a night to go off of (like my rl games.) So I Vote: No Lynch

Starting at night will usually not benefit any strategy, as there won't be anything to go off of.  Also, I don't think going no lynch will be good, the whole thing with having an odd number of people and such.

What's the odd number of people issue?

Let's say we have a no lynch.  There are 9 players, and during the night one of them will (usually) be killed.  So there's eight alive after that, and we need five people to lynch.  All we've done is decreased the number of town.  We could go on like this, but then as there's less people that number will get in the way more.  If there's 6 people, there's 4 needed to lynch, and if there's still two mafia everybody else still has to agree on the vote (yeah, this will happen with 5 people with two mafia, but you get the idea).  And if we no lynch again to get the numbers right we've just lost a second townie.

Basically, it's a lot harder to pull off a vote and messes with how the whole game works (at least for me).

Sorry, Sudgy, but I don't really follow what you're trying to say.

Alright, one more try, it's basically saying, "Let's kill a random town member instead of try to figure out who the mafia is, then make it harder for us to lynch the mafia."  If there was an even number of people alive during the day, however (like if the doctor saves someone), then it might be good to do a no lynch to make it easier to get a vote pulled off.

And to make my big post even longer, I'm on the east coast, so it's PST, A few hours behind forum time.  I can mostly go on (these are in my time) in the later afternoon and the evening on weekdays (although I can manage some other times sometimes), and most of the time all of the weekends.  I do sometimes have things on Saturdays, though.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 29, 2013, 03:56:49 pm »

And to make my big post even longer, I'm on the east coast...

Oops, west coast.   :P
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Kooshie

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 29, 2013, 05:23:10 pm »

I'm on forum time, but I usually can't post much on weekdays until 3 or 4:30 pm

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 29, 2013, 05:27:54 pm »

I would be okay with LALL today. It's been proven to work surprisingly well. Would also consider a sudgy lynch now that kooshie probably won't be lynched today. I need to re-read sudgy.

For LALL I don't think robz deserves his V/LA pass anymore. It's been a couple days since and his posting hasn't increased much.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 29, 2013, 05:36:05 pm »

Even numbers of players is bad for town. Missing one of our chances to hit scum hurts, but in combination with this it is a terrible idea. Here's why even number are bad: (adding to sudgy).

A larger percentage of town members are needed to get a lynch when it is even. Right now we need 5/7 of the townies to lynch scum. after a no lynch the number of votes required to lynch stays the same, and the number of townies goes down. This makes it so 5/6 of the townies need to agree to lynch scum. Even if we lynch town today, we need 4/5 townies to agree to lynch scum, which is slightly better.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 29, 2013, 05:51:39 pm »

Vote Count 1.10:

Kooshie (2): liopoil, sudgy
Robz888 (1): raerae
Mail-mi (1): kooshie
liopoil (1): EFHW
sudgy (2): Jimmmmm, mcmcsalot

Not Voting (2): Robz888, mail-mi

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

Deadline is 4:30 p.m., forum time, on Monday, February 4.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 29, 2013, 08:46:44 pm »

I'm in Mountain Time so I'm just a couple hours behind.

Finally, some reads for me.
Scum: Sudgy (been reading his posts, agree with y'alls), Kooshie because of very hasty defense and
Slight scum: Robz because he's off v/la, raerae
I have no idea: Everyone not listed
Slight town: Jimmmmmm, mcmcsalot
Town: Me, and EFHW.

So, I Vote: Sudgy

P.S. what does LALL mean? I looked for it on the Mafia Lingo, couldn't find it.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 29, 2013, 09:31:13 pm »

For LALL I don't think robz deserves his V/LA pass anymore. It's been a couple days since and his posting hasn't increased much.

I agree with this, but not sure it makes him scum.

Town: Me, and EFHW. 

So, I Vote: Sudgy

P.S. what does LALL mean? I looked for it on the Mafia Lingo, couldn't find it.

LALL: lynch all lurkers, I believe. 
Thank you for the vote of confidence  :)

I'm willing to VOTE: Sudgy now and take up Liopoil later.  This puts Sudgy at L-1, so from what I understand, no one else should vote against him until he has a chance to say one more thing.  Is that right?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 41  All

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 20 queries.