Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXI: Another Dinner Party! - Mafia Win Flawlessly  (Read 108818 times)

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXI: Another Dinner Party! (Sign-ups Open)
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 11:02:09 am »

Abra left due to RL issues coming up. It had absolutely nothing to do with the amount of mafia he was in.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 11:53:21 am »

I'll be in if this starts after either the DS9 one ends or I am lynched or nightkilled. I don't want to be in two games just yet :P

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 12:00:47 pm »

This post is by sudgy in the Introduction section:

I didn't even notice the Introductions section (if it's called that?) so yeah, I'm sudgy.  I've already posted a few random things, and I'll probably play mafia when I have the time. So uh... Yeah...  I can't think of anything else to say...

Has anyone PMed him?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2013, 12:14:53 pm »

I didn't even notice the Introductions section (if it's called that?) so yeah, I'm sudgy.  I've already posted a few random things, and I'll probably play mafia when I have the time. So uh... Yeah...  I can't think of anything else to say...

Has anyone PMed him?

He posted on the last page. :P
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2013, 12:20:05 pm »

Has anyone PMed him?

He posted on the last page. :P
I skimmed through and didn't see his post. Woops. :P

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2013, 12:22:22 pm »

With newbies wanting to join, they may be encouraged by one newbie being here...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2013, 01:37:12 pm »

If you're going to exclude me or other veterans (which is not a course of action I agree with, but okay, it's your game), then please do go back to calling it Newbie Mafia I, or whatever.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 02:51:09 pm »

If you're going to exclude me or other veterans (which is not a course of action I agree with, but okay, it's your game), then please do go back to calling it Newbie Mafia I, or whatever.

If we actually have nine new players, I will.  I cannot imagine there will be, and don't expect to.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 04:28:42 pm »

PMs listed in the 2nd post.  That should be enough information for this.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 05:25:51 pm »

one suggestion from me, given that as this is a newbie game, is to not have bankable deadlines. Dont' get me wrong. I like bankable deadlines, but they are kinda abstract and can be hard to grasp, even for people who have already played with them. At the same time the newbie game I ran MX had one week deadlines, which were too short. So maybe two weeks or 10-12 day deadlines? Just to keep it simpler.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 05:36:47 pm »

Do I have to PM you to be in?  I thought that just saying something on the thread saying I'm in would work, but I'm not on the list...

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2013, 06:32:12 pm »

Do I have to PM you to be in?  I thought that just saying something on the thread saying I'm in would work, but I'm not on the list...

You are at #3 when I look...

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2013, 06:33:21 pm »

one suggestion from me, given that as this is a newbie game, is to not have bankable deadlines. Dont' get me wrong. I like bankable deadlines, but they are kinda abstract and can be hard to grasp, even for people who have already played with them. At the same time the newbie game I ran MX had one week deadlines, which were too short. So maybe two weeks or 10-12 day deadlines? Just to keep it simpler.

12 day days and 48 hour nights now noted in the OP.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2013, 06:49:05 pm »

The Archetype disease is spreading…

;)

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2013, 06:57:05 pm »

Oops, I was looking at the end of the list.  Sorry.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2013, 09:03:46 am »

Maybe it would help attracting newbies if you put the information that this is a game for them in the thread title?

bozzball

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2013, 09:04:52 am »

/in (2nd game)

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2013, 09:33:22 am »

in the OP it says newbies are marked with an asterix but they aren't. I think there are three of us. bozzball, sudgy, and I. Are raerae and mcmc still considered new?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:35:27 am by liopoil »

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2013, 09:36:51 am »

Also assuming based on the second post that the town cop and the sane cop are the same thing?

bozzball

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2013, 09:42:03 am »

Is the town told which of the 4 set-ups we have?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2013, 09:44:31 am »

I'm pretty sure the answer is no. We're not supposed to know the exact set-up but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out in certain situations.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2013, 09:47:11 am »

Also assuming based on the second post that the town cop and the sane cop are the same thing?

Yes. A sane cop is a normal cop, an insane cop receives the opposite results that a sane cop would, but there certainly wouldn't be one (or any other kind of cop) in a newbie game.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2013, 09:50:52 am »

What's the point of the insane cop? they'd just see the result "town" and realize that the person is mafia! Or do they not know that they are insane?

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2013, 11:14:40 am »

Also, also, can we keep veterans off the sign-up list until we get closer to the end?  It could be discouraging for new players if they see a sign up full or nearly full.  It's my experience that newbies are nervous and unless they know somebody in this subset of the forums, it can be intimidating to just pop in and say "Hey, guys, can I play too?"  Think back to the playground to relate to this one, guys.
I understood what she was saying, and I agree with her.  Maybe no one here ever set foot on a playground, raerae.  (BTW, playground bully references don't always go over well here, so if you continue to use them, make sure you're not a victim of bad timing.)

If this was supposed to be a newbie game, then clearly that changed. Hell, even the name of the thread changed.  That's fine, it's Ash's game.  But if it's no longer supposed to be a newbie game, then just say so. Otherwise, here's the mixed message that I see:

It's nice that there is a semi-definition of the term "newbie-game" in the OP, but that is lip service if the definition is not applied (uniformly) as the first filter for entry.

It's nice that there is a disclaimer that reads "Newbies will be given priority sign-ups..." but they weren't. Eevee and Robz are in at positions #4 and 7, and the thread is JUST NOW 36 hours old. (Yeah, I see the "if needed" phrase. It reads as a direct contradiction.  It's either a newbie game, by the definition, or it's not.)

It's nice that that same disclaimer contains a clause that reads "and appropriate considerations taken to ensure new players get the most out of their mafia experience", but that is just lip service if such considerations only begin after the Day 1 start.  Why wouldn't comfort level during the signup process be one of those considerations? Why wouldn't clear communication that newbs are wanted and truly prioritized be one of those considerations? 

Sure, I saw post #23, but here's the thing.  It's at #23.  It's not in the OP.  And if I am still truly wondering whether Ash really would remove Robz or Eevee, then what in the world would newbs be thinking? Let's look at the data available just in this thread:

a) Not a new category! Category changed. Thread name changed.
b) Mafia X was newb too! Hmm, not really: ashersky, Jorbles, Cuzz, GeoLib, Robz888, O, Captain_Frisk, Eevee, and Morgrim7/Voltaire
c) Ridiculous, unacceptable, and offensive! to the notion of just waiting to the end of sign ups to add veterans to the game
d) No response at all to the notion "if there is a sudden rush of Newbies I'd hope veterans such as Robz will be first in line to give up their spot." (BTW, Jim, a cogent, valuable, and commendable post)

Yeah, if I'm a newb, I don't think I'd be interested in this one.

So I ask: If a true newb game is desired, then why not phrase the disclaimer as "Newbies will be given priority sign-ups, and more experienced players will not be added unless needed to start the game"? WOW, now that's a novel concept, wonder why no one thought of it, or posted it?

Further, I submit that a new category (Newbie Mafia) is PRECISELY what we need to keep new players coming in, and feeling welcome.  We've recently had a little spike in that population, and we should do all we can to perpetuate it. I also suspect that the world will not end if there is a Mafia game on f.DS that any one player doesn't get to play in.

Edited to fix fragment in second sentence.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:43:59 am by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2013, 11:26:53 am »

Also, also, can we keep veterans off the sign-up list until we get closer to the end?  It could be discouraging for new players if they see a sign up full or nearly full.  It's my experience that newbies are nervous and unless they know somebody in this subset of the forums, it can be intimidating to just pop in and say "Hey, guys, can I play too?"  Think back to the playground to relate to this one, guys.
I understood what she was saying, and I agree with her.  Maybe none of  one here ever set foot on a playground, raerae.  (BTW, playground bully references don't always go over well here, so if you continue to use them, make sure you're not a victim of bad timing.)

If this was supposed to be a newbie game, then clearly that changed. Hell, even the name of the thread changed.  That's fine, it's Ash's game.  But if it's no longer supposed to be a newbie game, then just say so. Otherwise, here's the mixed message that I see:

It's nice that there is a semi-definition of the term "newbie-game" in the OP, but that is lip service if the definition is not applied (uniformly) as the first filter for entry.

It's nice that there is a disclaimer that reads "Newbies will be given priority sign-ups..." but they weren't. Eevee and Robz are in at positions #4 and 7, and the thread is JUST NOW 36 hours old. (Yeah, I see the "if needed" phrase. It reads as a direct contradiction.  It's either a newbie game, by the definition, or it's not.)

It's nice that that same disclaimer contains a clause that reads "and appropriate considerations taken to ensure new players get the most out of their mafia experience", but that is just lip service if such considerations only begin after the Day 1 start.  Why wouldn't comfort level during the signup process be one of those considerations? Why wouldn't clear communication that newbs are wanted and truly prioritized be one of those considerations? 

Sure, I saw post #23, but here's the thing.  It's at #23.  It's not in the OP.  And if I am still truly wondering whether Ash really would remove Robz or Eevee, then what in the world would newbs be thinking? Let's look at the data available just in this thread:

a) Not a new category! Category changed. Thread name changed.
b) Mafia X was newb too! Hmm, not really: ashersky, Jorbles, Cuzz, GeoLib, Robz888, O, Captain_Frisk, Eevee, and Morgrim7/Voltaire
c) Ridiculous, unacceptable, and offensive! to the notion of just waiting to the end of sign ups to add veterans to the game
d) No response at all to the notion "if there is a sudden rush of Newbies I'd hope veterans such as Robz will be first in line to give up their spot." (BTW, Jim, a cogent, valuable, and commendable post)

Yeah, if I'm a newb, I don't think I'd be interested in this one.

So I ask: If a true newb game is desired, then why not phrase the disclaimer as "Newbies will be given priority sign-ups, and more experienced players will not be added unless needed to start the game"? WOW, now that's a novel concept, wonder why no one thought of it, or posted it?

Further, I submit that a new category (Newbie Mafia) is PRECISELY what we need to keep new players coming in, and feeling welcome.  We've recently had a little spike in that population, and we should do all we can to perpetuate it. I also suspect that the world will not end if there is a Mafia game on f.DS that any one player doesn't get to play in.

THIS.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41  All

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 20 queries.