Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 41  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXI: Another Dinner Party! - Mafia Win Flawlessly  (Read 108847 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Mafia XXI: Another Dinner Party! - Mafia Win Flawlessly
« on: January 05, 2013, 11:17:41 pm »

Welcome to Mafia XXI: Another Dinner Party!

Spectator thread QT available on request - please PM me and I will send you the link.  Thanks!

This game is specifically for new mafia players.  Newbies will be given priority sign-ups, and appropriate considerations taken to ensure new players get the most out of their mafia experience.

This game will most likely include some non-newbies, due to requiring enough players to play the set-up.

A player will be considered a newbie if this game would be their first, second, or third game ever played.

Game state:

Day 1 (Opening Post)
Night 1
Day 2 (Opening Post)
Night 2
Day 3 (Opening Post)

Players (newbies marked with *):
0 - ashersky
1 - raerae*
2 - sudgy* - Vanilla Townie - Lynched D3
3 - liopoil* - Mafia Goon
4 - mcmcsalot* - Mafia Goon

5 - EFHW* - Vanilla Townie - Shot N2
6 - mail-mi* - Vanilla Townie - Lynched D1
7 - Kooshie*
8 - Jimmmmm - Town Cop - Shot N1
9 - Robz888 - Vanilla Townie - Lynched D2

Back-ups Priority List: yuma, Eevee

Co-Mods: Jorbles

Basic Mafia Ruleset

The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

Game Rules:

General Gameplay and Etiquette:
1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind.  Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.  Mafia members may communicate at night and during the confirmation stage.
3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to all mods by the posted deadline (generally 48 hours from Night start during the first few Nights; later Nights may have shorter deadlines).  If we do not receive your PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.  In case of multiple submissions, the last valid one before the deadline will be used.
4. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
5. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mods know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
6. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 24 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.

Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:
1. A simple majority (rounded up) of all living members must agree on one person for a lynch to occur prior to deadline.
2. Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.  Further votes will also be ignored.
3. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post during twilight.
4. Please submit votes as: Vote: PlayerName.  Votes will NOT be counted if they are not bold or do not follow this syntax!  Obvious abbreviations or nicknames will be counted so long as they are unambiguous.
5. Please submit vote revocations as either Unvote: PlayerName or Unvote. Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
6. You may Vote: No Lynch - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a lynch.
7. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post in the game or in Quicktopics, except for twilight.  This means that you do not even get a “Bah” post. The dead in this game are silent, but will be invited to the Spectator Quicktopic.
8. Do not edit or delete posts.  We don't want some players having more information than others.  If you want to clarify posts, feel free to double post.
9. This game will have "bankable deadlines."  See http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Bankable_deadline for more information.  The rules for calculating deadlines are as follows:
- All Days are guaranteed to be at least three days and at most eighteen days long.
- Day 1 is set to last for eighteen days.
- Day 2 and each subsequent day will last for:
--- three days, PLUS
--- all unused days left over at the end of the previous Day;
--- up to a maximum of eighteen days.

9.  This game will have 12 day days and 48 hour nights.

Miscellaneous/Mechanics:
1. Bold, maroon text is reserved for the Mod.  No invisible/small text is allowed, nor is cryptography.
2. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mods privately.  Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
3. The Mods may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently.  Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed.  These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
4. Please bold all requests to the Mods so that they don’t get missed.
5. Prods of missing players will be issued automatically after 48 hours of no activity or upon request after 24 hours of no activity.  A prodded player has 48 hours to respond or risks replacement.  A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to replacement without further notice.
6. Rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill.
7. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread.  Treat this game as a commitment.  Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.

Helpful Links:[/b]
TO CLARIFY, I AM NOT A MODERATOR OF F.DS IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.  IN THE CONTEXT OF THIS GAME, I AM MODERATING THAT THE RULES ARE FOLLOWED AND HIDDEN ACTIONS ARE COMPLETED PROPERLY.

GAME SET-UP, ROLES, AND NEWBIE SPECIFIC INFORMATION LISTED IN NEXT POST
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:24:13 pm by ashersky »
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Mafia I: Another Dinner Party! (Sign-ups Open)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 11:19:29 pm »

This game will use the F11 set-up.  (http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=F11)

The set-up will be chosen at random from these four options:

1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Townies.
1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies.
2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies.
2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies.

All possible PMs are listed here:

Role: Vanilla Townie

Abilities:
You have no special abilities beyond the right to vote.

Win condition:
You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

Role: Town Cop

Abilities:
Each night, you may investigate a player in the game by sending the mods a PM.  You will get results back in the form of “Town,” “Antitown,” or “No Result.”

Win condition:

Role: Town Doctor

Abilities:
Each night, you may protect one player in the game from one nightkill by sending the mods a PM.

Win condition:

Role: Mafia Goon

Abilities:
Factional communication:  During the confirmation stage and nights, you may talk with your partner here: Quicktopic Link.

Factional kill:  Each night phase, you or your partner may perform the factional kill.

Win condition:
You win when mafia obtain a majority of town or nothing can stop this from happening.

Role: Mafia Roleblocker

Abilities:
Factional communication:  During the confirmation stage and nights, you may talk with your partner here: Quicktopic Link

Factional kill:  Each night phase, you or your partner may perform the factional kill.

Role block: Each night phase, you may perform a roleblock on another player in the game.  You may block and kill the same night.

Win condition:
You win when mafia obtain a majority of town or nothing can stop this from happening.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:45:22 am by ashersky »

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 11:40:56 pm »

i'll be /in or co-mod, whatever is needed. But like someone mentioned, many of these players are in MXIX and may not want to join this game while still in it, but that is a. ok.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 12:16:33 am »

i'll be /in or co-mod, whatever is needed. But like someone mentioned, many of these players are in MXIX and may not want to join this game while still in it, but that is a. ok.

I'll wait to let it start at an opportune time.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 12:16:46 am »

Confirming in. But please not another new category. Just make it Mafia XX or whatever. Mafia X was newbie too.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 12:18:17 am »

Confirming in. But please not another new category. Just make it Mafia XX or whatever. Mafia X was newbie too.

Done.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXI: Another Dinner Party! (Sign-ups Open)
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 12:30:24 am »

Confirming in, but like I said, happy to surrender my spot to a newer player.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 12:44:40 am »

Done.

Thanks!

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 12:50:15 am »

Yes, confirming in. But if there is a sudden rush of new guys, obviously I'd be willing to surrender my spot. I'm no Robz!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 12:52:40 am »

Also yes, if there is a sudden rush of Newbies I'd hope veterans such as Robz will be first in line to give up their spot.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 01:03:46 am »

Also yes, if there is a sudden rush of Newbies I'd hope veterans such as Robz will be first in line to give up their spot.

Nah, you would just have to host a second newb game, and he'll just play in both.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 02:06:57 am »

Yay!  When I finally finish something I was doing for the last few weeks, there's a newbie game started!  I'm in as a newbie.  (Note: that thing I was doing for a few weeks was one-time.  I can verify with a 98.35% certainty that nothing else will pop up in this game)
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 02:29:05 am »

I have to disagree with the timing of this.

An easy way to scare of some newbies who are just starting (raerae, mcmcsalot are just a few games in; liopoil is playing his first game).

Mafia is a really fun game, but it's very easy to overcommit, and very overwhelming when you do.  I think this is a strong reason why Abra dropped out before completing his first game.

This game has GOT to wait until more games finish, we are pushing too many games at once, which can be fun and exciting for more veteran-y players, but has the very real possibility of putting off people who are interested in joining this hobby.

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 02:37:43 am »

I have to disagree with the timing of this.

An easy way to scare of some newbies who are just starting (raerae, mcmcsalot are just a few games in; liopoil is playing his first game).

Mafia is a really fun game, but it's very easy to overcommit, and very overwhelming when you do.  I think this is a strong reason why Abra dropped out before completing his first game.

This game has GOT to wait until more games finish, we are pushing too many games at once, which can be fun and exciting for more veteran-y players, but has the very real possibility of putting off people who are interested in joining this hobby.

100% agree.  I'm super in but I work 8-5 and I coach at least two days a week and I don't feel comfortable playing too many games at once.  At this point, two games is one too many and I'll back out without hesitation if I feel my RL responsibilities could suffer because of this.

Also, and kind of sidenote-y, was anybody friendly with Abra?  I think he was mostly before my time but if somebody could get in touch with him and get him to come back for this newbie game?

Also, also, can we keep veterans off the sign-up list until we get closer to the end?  It could be discouraging for new players if they see a sign up full or nearly full.  It's my experience that newbies are nervous and unless they know somebody in this subset of the forums, it can be intimidating to just pop in and say "Hey, guys, can I play too?"  Think back to the playground to relate to this one, guys.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 02:42:37 am »

Also, also, can we keep veterans off the sign-up list until we get closer to the end?  It could be discouraging for new players if they see a sign up full or nearly full.  It's my experience that newbies are nervous and unless they know somebody in this subset of the forums, it can be intimidating to just pop in and say "Hey, guys, can I play too?"  Think back to the playground to relate to this one, guys.

Ridiculous, unacceptable, and offensive.

raerae

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 02:44:23 am »

Fine.  Back out.  My spot is yours, Robz.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 02:59:04 am »

Maybe what she meant wasn't explained well; we've been talking about this in my living room for a bit.  The idea is to keep veterans off the list while it's in signups (or at least limit the two veterans, just Eevee/Robz is ok), but that if too few new people wander in after a long period for signups, we can invite in some older players and start things.

The argument is that a new player would come in and see that there's one spot left and an intimidating list of players some of them who have been in multiple games (I mean, Jimmm has finished 6 games, and is in RMM4 and DS9 currently).  It takes some chutzpah to decide to sign up and give playing this game with a set of total strangers a try.  Please don't say I'm wrong here, because I KNOW I'm not.  It is an intimidating act to jump into a community like this, it's why there are so many lurkers around f.DS in general who finally get to a place where they say "oh hey I've been lurking for 3 months but fiiiinally decided to make my first post."  Raerae is literally telling me right now that a not small subset of the veteran players are super intimidating (in the fact that they aren't conscientious or forgiving of the fact that new players have a different mindset often); and that this is really offputting.  If she didn't know me, and I didn't like you guys like I do, she would pack up and leave right now, honestly.  It makes me realize how exclusive our community is, and I think the focus of Mafia XXI should be to change that.

Jumping into new games can be more reassuring if the majority of those strangers are also as new as you are.  I really think this should be the more important goal of a newbie game, and that this goal should trump getting things filled quickly so that it starts soon.  We really should strive to be as accommodating to new players as possible.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:01:08 am by shraeye »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 03:04:49 am »

Maybe we should start a new thread to see how many newbies there are out there who would play a newbie only game (ie no Robz, no Eevee, no me unless I need to make up the numbers).

raerae

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 03:07:15 am »

Maybe we should start a new thread to see how many newbies there are out there who would play a newbie only game (ie no Robz, no Eevee, no me unless I need to make up the numbers).

If we were on Facebook, I would 'Like' this.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 03:23:09 am »

I actually think a newbie only game would be more interesting than mostly newbies led by a couple of vets.

raerae

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 03:30:39 am »

I actually think a newbie only game would be more interesting than mostly newbies led by a couple of vets.

Why are vets needed to lead?  All you guys were new once.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 03:32:04 am »

They're not, that was my point.

raerae

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 03:34:05 am »

They're not, that was my point.

Sorry, must have misunderstood.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 05:38:40 am »

If newbies sign up, veterans are out.  Yes, even Robz.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 09:26:04 am »

I made this thread, but everyone ignored it.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=6329.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 41  All

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 19 queries.