Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: MrEevee and me both playing a little random - so what should we have done?  (Read 1178 times)

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile

supply (after vetoing scrying pool (MrEevee) and councilroom):
Lighthouse, Menagerie, Warehouse, Baron, Caravan, Quarry, Contraband, Counting House, Harem, Expand

So Eevee starts 3/4 while I have 5/2. Suggestions?

Log is at the end of this paragraph (hi -Stef- ;-)). So I start contraband/lighthouse, he goes warehouse/baron which I consider the right choice as it helps connecting baron and estates plus it is a starting point for warehouse/menagerie things. He blocks gold on my contraband turns so I go for lighthouse/baron and warehouse/menagerie. However, from now on we tend to mirror the other, so after he got some caravans, I get some, too, whereas he got a contraband. I'm very unsure about the caravan thing as it antisynergises with menagerie pretty strongly. He gets an expand much earlier than I do (although I only have 1 terminal, i.e. baron - poor play on my part here) - and he plays expand not so well, I think. He invests in harems while I go for some provinces as soon as I can to get the lead and see how I can defend it. Finally I can after some interesting buying and blocking decisions.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 05:27:27 pm by lespeutere »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
+1

My thoughts are that I want maybe one silver, maybe one gold, one or more harems, but the basis for my deck should be a baron, a couple of warehouses, probably a decent number of lighthouses from spare buys, and a zillion menageries. Contraband is interesting, and maybe very good, but actually I think what I'd be blocking early is menagerie. I'm not sure about expand, without a village, but I'm much more likely to want it if I have a contraband. Ultimately, I think that you're both strategically decently close anyway, and as for how many harems/expands, warehouses, etc. etc. etc. it's going to be down to how the game develops.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
+1

Looking at our decks in the end of the game, I had a lot more warehouses and menageries, but still couldn't connect stuff very well at all in the end game. I don't know if that's poor deck construction or bad luck.

How should I have used the expand? I preferred chopping coppers to have more variety, more estates to match with a baron and slightly more points I guess. Targets at the 3 cost range (menagerie and warehouse) seemed strong enough anyways.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile

Expanding coppers seems ok-ish, but it's just a lot of $ you pay for this expand just to get rid of a few (2? 3?) coppers over a lot of turns. So if I'm using the term correctly, "opportunity costs" are too high for expand to use it as you did, imho.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
+1

I think the menagerie-caravan pairing is quite weak here. The caravan draws big hands full of copper that prevent the menagerie from firing. The warehouse can discard the copper however the copper is needed for coin since all those menageries and warehouses and caravans are in the deck instead of silver.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:40:46 am by DG »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.461 seconds with 20 queries.