Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Open Ironworks for Villages with wharf on board??  (Read 1066 times)

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
Open Ironworks for Villages with wharf on board??
« on: January 05, 2013, 02:41:43 am »

I haven't tried posting here before, but an opponent took an opening that surprised me and then won, so I thought I'd try it out.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/04/game-20130104-232247-53a59d2a.html

cards in supply: Council Room, Ironworks, Nobles, Nomad Camp, Oasis, Shanty Town, Tactician, Village, Walled Village, and Wharf

I thought silver/silver was the best opening to get to the valuable expensive cards (wharf, nobles) quickly. My opponent opened ironworks/silver, which surprised me. Is that the correct opening in order to get villages to support the engine? I think it was a mistake to take nobles over wharf and gold on my T3 $6. Would Tactician have been worth pursuing instead/in addition to wharves, perhaps with oasis? Should I have bought gold sooner?

Also, can anyone see a reason to buy village over walled village on $4? I realize they're essentially equivalent, but walled is strictly better (excepting pedantic edge cases).

Thanks!
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Open Ironworks for Villages with wharf on board??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 03:15:38 am »

I think IW/Silver is the right call here. The important card is the Wharf, and you will likely get it in shuffle 2 with this opening. Of course it's a bit more likely to miss, but it's not that high.
And as you want this villages, it's basically a nonterminal Gold with +buy when you gain Villages, with some other options (Copper that gains you a Silver).

It's not that important to get the IW early on this board than on other Village/wharf boards, because there are 2 real Villages and Shanty and Nobles, so you can't get locked out of the Villages, but you also can't get locked out of the draw because of CR and Nobles.

I don't believe in Tactician here, the money comes from the Treasure, other things are too complicated (Village/NC, Oasis) considering that Wharf also gives you large starting hands without forced discards.

Village vs. WV.  Only 3piling, but that not really an issue at T4.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 05:44:50 am »

My opponent opened ironworks/silver, which surprised me. Is that the correct opening in order to get villages to support the engine?
Bear in mind that, as happened here, Ironworks can be used for +$1.  So it's not entirely about the Villages.

Would Tactician have been worth pursuing instead/in addition to wharves, perhaps with oasis?
Tactician is generally a bad fit with Wharf as you lose your large hands if you play the Tactician.  Oasis is not bad, but once you can reliably draw your deck you'd rather have the $2 from Silver.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 09:53:34 am »

Using IW for silver to get +$1 is very important, because your really need the wharves up.
Having said that, I am not so convinced that something which is basically Wharf+money with no villages isn't best here. But you definitely want to get 2 or really 3 wharves before gold, and certainly don't want to get nobles until quite late. So yes, T3 should be a wharf.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.