Dominion > Rules Questions

Talisman + Sir Martin

(1/15) > >>

Saposhiente:
What happens when you have a Talisman in play and you buy Sir Martin? Do you first gain the copy and then buy whichever knight is below it if you have enough money? Does Talisman not work at all because two different Knights are not "copies" (also meaning that Menagerie and Fairgrounds synergize with knights)? What if you buy a $5 knight with Talisman in play and the next knight revealed is Sir Martin? Does Dame Josephine change any of this?
Also there's a typo in the rulebook for Knights: It says that Sir Martin costs $1 instead of $5.

eHalcyon:
The Knights are all differently named, so they do indeed synergize with Menagerie and Fairgrounds, as well as Harvest.

I don't remember hearing a specific ruling on this, but I expect that Talisman would not ever gain you an additional Knight.  Let's simplify the question by playing a Highway first, so that all Knights cost $4 or less.

With Highway and Talisman in play, you buy Sir Martin.  Talisman says that you when you buy a card costing $4 or less, you gain a copy of it.  So now you gain a copy of Sir Martin via Talisman.  Now that that's taken care of, you should gain the copy of Sir Martin that you bought.  But Sir Martin has already been gained and now the top Knight is Dame Natalie!  There is no longer a copy of Sir Martin to gain, so that's the end of it.

(Dame Josephine changes it slightly in that, if Dame Josephine is the card you are trying to buy -with Highway in play- you would gain her through the Buy and not through Talisman.)

A similar thing should happen with Ruins, if you are so inclined to buy Ruins.  If you buy a Ruined Village with Talisman in play, you will only get two Ruins if the next one is also a Ruined Village.  If it is an Abandoned Mine, you only get the first Ruined Village.

I DO recall an official ruling about Ruins with Ambassador that follows this principle as well.

Drab Emordnilap:
What if I buy Sir Martin with Talisman in play and Trader in hand? Can I reveal Trader to gain a silver when I would gain the Sir Martin (from Talisman), and then finish buying and gaining Sir Martin?

eHalcyon:

--- Quote from: Drab Emordnilap on January 04, 2013, 05:18:24 pm ---What if I buy Sir Martin with Talisman in play and Trader in hand? Can I reveal Trader to gain a silver when I would gain the Sir Martin (from Talisman), and then finish buying and gaining Sir Martin?

--- End quote ---

Ooh.  I would say yes.  But that's getting crazy enough that I am not confident.

ednever:

--- Quote from: eHalcyon on January 04, 2013, 05:23:33 pm ---
--- Quote from: Drab Emordnilap on January 04, 2013, 05:18:24 pm ---What if I buy Sir Martin with Talisman in play and Trader in hand? Can I reveal Trader to gain a silver when I would gain the Sir Martin (from Talisman), and then finish buying and gaining Sir Martin?

--- End quote ---

Ooh.  I would say yes.  But that's getting crazy enough that I am not confident.

--- End quote ---

I think that's right. Pretty cool.

Talisman gains you a copy of a card you bought (sir M). Trader gains you a silver instead of the card you would have gained (in this case from the buy)

So:
Buy sir M
Gain a second Sir M
Gain Sir M, replace with Silver
Gain sir M (still available in the stack)

I think that's right. It all depends on the order you activate that cards.
Key is talisman first, then Trader.

Ed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version