Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Possible Combo, Highway/Saboteur(Or knights, rogue etc)  (Read 2025 times)

Adrienaline

• Baron
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
Possible Combo, Highway/Saboteur(Or knights, rogue etc)
« on: January 04, 2013, 10:12:50 am »

I didn't keep the log, and I ended up losing the game anyway, but on a game on iso, I was losing quite heavily, and accidentally was reminded that Saboteur skips over everything $2 and less (after I had played about 6 Highways, it was a bit of an odd trashing/draw engine). I then used Highway more appropriately to make sure the Saboteur only hit my opponents provinces.

Is this normally viable, or does it only work under a few circumstances?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Combo, Highway/Saboteur(Or knights, rogue etc)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 10:14:37 am »

It's viable. Of course as always you have to look out for 3-piling on Duchies and Estates or something silly like that.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 10:36:39 am »
+1

Also, if you could play 6 Highways is likely that:
1. you can win by 3-pile as Davio said.
2. you can buy more than 1 province per turn and come back on pure green, without attacking (for instance, buying any $5 with +Buy should easily give you one more province and possibly more instead of "just" removing an opponent Province, getting him a Gold or Duchy -or Alt VP- to compensate).
3. your opponent also can buy more than 1 province per turn and 3-pile at any point.

I think it is rare that Highway->Saboteur is the best choice, it may be a desperate move, or something to compensate if you have extra actions but no +Buy nor gainer. UNLESS you can KC or at least TR the Saboteur, that can be a devastating turn and you can do it and then 3-pile for the win, getting a massive VP swing.

On the flip side, if you can pull it off fast, 2 Highways -> Saboteur will mess with your opponent engine by killing its 5s early, instead of its Provinces late. If your opponent has a good engine, it will quickly recover from a Province lost much more than a semi-built engine from losing its key $5 card.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 11:15:36 am »
+1

Highway/Sab isn't good enough on it's own, but as part of an engine which can reliably draw all or most of your deck, it can be devastating. Adding a couple of sabs, assuming you have the actions, will usually be a really strong move. Depending on the game state you want to look to destroy your opponents economy or engine or province/duchy points if you need to come back. Just keep track of how much things cost when you play your sabs.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 10:04:57 am »
+1

I really like Highway/Saboteur. It's one of the moments Saboteur can shine. Like pointed out it's really not that strong on its one. Only if you want to go for Highways either way and some villages.

Here I got back from 0-3 Provinces with Saboteur, but I was already going for Highway+Market and had Cities to draw most of my deck.
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20121028-100201-9b66c465.html
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 20 queries.