Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Which is the card you hate the most?  (Read 53968 times)

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Which is the card you hate the most?
« on: June 17, 2011, 09:59:52 am »

Which is the card that annoys you the most when you see it in the deck and opponent is going for it and successfully using it?

Mine is smugglers:i hate that one builds his deck based on what takes his opponent rather than his own plan, of course sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. If we both go for smugglers it leads to pretty miserable game.

Which cards makes you curse as you see it?

When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
Re: Which is the card you hate the most?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 10:10:50 am »

Swindler for sure!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 10:14:37 am »

Ambassador. I also don't like Black Market and tournament, among several others. But those are probably the top 3.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 10:17:07 am »

Saboteur.  Makes for an ugly, ugly game.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 10:37:40 am »

Swindler for sure!
QFMFT

Flip a coin to see who wins: the card.

MrFrog

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrFrog
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 10:54:04 am »

Ambassador. I'll never get along with it...

Eagle

• Baron
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 10:54:16 am »

Which is the card that annoys you the most when you see it in the deck and opponent is going for it and successfully using it?

Mine is smugglers:i hate that one builds his deck based on what takes his opponent rather than his own plan, of course sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. If we both go for smugglers it leads to pretty miserable game.

Which cards makes you curse as you see it?

I agree that smugglers is annoying..  "I worked for that gold, and he just got it for free!"

There's a list of cards that I don't especially like, saboteur, Treasure Map, swindler, etc.  But the only cards I usually decline are possession games, just because it's obnoxious..  and my most hated card for sure is Pirate Ship.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 10:56:20 am by Eagle »

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 11:08:14 am »

Smugglers does not bother me that much, as I try to time buying an important $5 or $6 card with when it's coming up in their deck, and, even if they get it, it doesn't usually hit well that often.

Possession is extremely annoying.  I lost to a level 0 player by one point after being ahead 3 Provinces when they King's Courted Possession.  I felt like I was being punished for having an efficient deck (or just being punished for failing to account for the possibility that KC + Possession could cause a huge swing, but that's another point).  And if both players have Possession and the kingdom cards are such that they're sabotaging their deck to prevent the other player from getting a big turn, well, that's not a whole lot of fun, is it? 

I'd have to go with Treasure Map.  I'd play with any of the other cards mentioned any day over Treasure Map.  When Treasure Map is in play, it brings back memories of games like Phase 10, where I'm praying for that Wild card to come along to complete my run.  Yes, sometimes there are cards in play that can help you make trashing two copies go quicker, but I'd rather just leave it out entirely.   

An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

Randal FTW

• Scout
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 11:18:46 am »

Smugglers AINEC. Pretty annoying when someone is leaching off your buys.

The only positive is that a lot of the people who abuse smugglers end up bloating their deck too much IME.
With No Power Comes No Responsibility

Stoc

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 11:22:01 am »

Treasure Map is number one for me, simply because it's "easy to get" for my opponents, and can win them the game outright if they're lucky.

Possession is a close 2nd for much the same reason. My current possession strategy is basically to make sure my deck never gets 'too good.' Rush green, try to pad my lead while intentionally cluttering my deck by taking duchies earlier than I otherwise would. It just generally makes for a very unsatisfying game, win or lose. Multiplayer is even worse because the value of Possession varies depending on the strength of the opponent behind you.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 11:27:58 am »

There are a number of anti-Possession deck types:

1. The really fast deck. Get a huge lead before the Possessions can catch up.

2. The really slow deck. Possessing a Gardens deck is usually not worth very much.

3. The really nasty deck. You want to Possess my Goons/Mountebank/Torturer? Much good may it do you.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 11:28:59 am »

Possession and Familiar are the top offenders for me, but Possession is actually proposed, so I voted for that. Anybody who's been on the recieving end of Possession/Golem deck understands how horrible this card is to play against. Worst of all, I think people are overvaluing because of how horrible it feels when someone plays it, and are playing it more than they should, especially considering it is incredibly hard to get. I see people going for Possession as they only Potion card, and it should please me, because they lose so much time I'm likely to win, but it still annoys me because they're going to play it at some point.

As for Familiar, well, I actually think, now that I analyse it, that it's worse than Possession. The feeling of having 2 and a Potion on second turn of a Familiar game is just that horrible. It's turn 3, and you've basically already lost. At least with Possession, you're only losing on turn 15 or so.

I used to hate Treasure Map, but I don't anymore, because the card is just weak. Sure, you can get lucky, and it's annoying when it happens, but more often than not, seeing my opponent buy Treasure Map when no enablers are available is a pretty good sign.

I'm not sure what's so frustrating with Smugglers though. Sure, it's a variance card that can be frustrating at times, but I don't see it being anywhere the other cards mentionned it, or other not mentioned such as Sea Hag or Ghost Ship.

Edit : reading those answers, I have to agree with Swindler and Tournament being really up there too.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:30:49 am by Teproc »
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 11:33:44 am »

Maybe I'm the only one, but I actually like possession. Jack Rudd points out that there are a lot of ways of dealing with possession on board. I find that often my opponents don't grasp this.

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 11:36:55 am »

My beef with possession is that I like to actually play the game, which I don't get to do when possession is being used.  Particularly when there's a KC on the board, but also if there's something as simple as Village to get two off in a single round.  I don't understand why outpost has the "no more than two turns" clause, but possession does not.  Just adding that line of text would make me hate the card much, much less.

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 12:00:19 pm »

I voted other because I hate tournament, but I can understand the frustration at possession; it's just not fun when the other person takes 4 turns in a row. I feel like possession would be a lot less hated if it had the outpost wording to prevent things like a king's courted possession.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 12:04:29 pm »

The only time I hate Possession is when Ambassador and/or Masquerade are on the board.  Normally I love seeing Possession, because I'm quite possibly better at defending against Possession than any other skill in Dominion.  Seriously, I have a better win rate when I don't buy Possession than when I *do* gain a Trusty Steed.

As for Saboteur, Smugglers, and Treasure Map?  They're swingy, but most of the time they're just too weak for me to care.

The card I hate above all else is Torturer.  It's a powerful card that leads to really unfun games if your opponent gets his/her chain off first, and I'm actually very bad at constructing Torturer chains, so that happens a lot.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 12:17:16 pm »

The card I hate above all else is Torturer.  It's a powerful card that leads to really unfun games if your opponent gets his/her chain off first, and I'm actually very bad at constructing Torturer chains, so that happens a lot.

I feel the same way about Ghost Ship.
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

Glooble

• Bishop
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 12:20:10 pm »

I used to really hate Goons and Minions for the same reason - I thought they forced you into a particular stratey any time they were on the board. I'm not a huge fan of boards that force a mirror match. Lately, though, I've found myself learning ways to counter Goons players without buying Goons, and I find the card annoys me a lot less. Same with the Minion.

I guess Saboteur is the most annoying card for me. I actually love Smugglers. I love the randomness it adds to the game.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 12:44:09 pm »

I am fine with all those cards, though Possession is a little *annoying* with King's Court out.

I actually really like Smugglers.  It helps alleviate the Turn 5 Wins that I loathe so much. 

I am OK with Treasure Map because the only people who buy it without support are bad enough that their chances of hitting the Maps are tiny.

I'm generally OK with Swindler, though I can see why people hate it.  Ditto for Tournament.

The cards I dislike most:

1. Familiar.  This card can be reworded to read: After Turn 2, roll 1d6.  If you roll 2 or lower, you lose, unless your opponent also rolled 2 or lower.

2. Scrying Pool/Golem.  Games take forever!

3. King's Court, when coupled with attacks.

4. Torturer with cheap +Actions.

5. Baron, since the 33% chance of not hitting your Estate is the difference between Gold and a crap $4 buy.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 12:44:41 pm »

While being on the bad end of Possession and Torturer chains are no fun, I have to agree that what annoys me most is being Ghost Shipped every turn.  There are decent counters, like Menagerie, Scout, wishing Well, Scout, or Apothecary but without something like this I will usually concede after three or four turns in a row of GS.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 12:44:57 pm »

I feel the same way about Ghost Ship.
But Ghost Ship does not stack.

Death to Sea Hags

• Thief
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 01:38:12 pm »

1. Familiar.  This card can be reworded to read: After Turn 2, roll 1d6.  If you roll 2 or lower, you lose, unless your opponent also rolled 2 or lower.

There's actually quite a few of these cards or situations...

rogerclee

• Steward
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 01:58:54 pm »

I dislike cards that tend to reduce the number of viable strategies on the board to 1. Witch, Mountebank, and Torturer (if chaining is allowed) are the biggest offenders of this, and those are the last three cards I want to see when playing a level <20 player, especially Mountebank.

Cards like Possession actually have a significant strategy built around them, so even though they randomize the game a bit, I actually like the card. I think level < 25 players typically do not grasp how to play a Possession game.

drg

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 02:08:24 pm »

I'm surprised swindler and black market didn't make the list of options.  Personally, for the way it affects the game's outcome, I hate swindler the most, it's the most random card along with saboteur, but saboteur is expensive, doesn't give the opponent money, and doesn't also put crap back in your deck.  Possession I also don't like, but a lot of it is because of how long it takes between turns once it gets going, and being able to possess someone 3+ times in a row is silly - time for a 15 minute break if that happens (decks obviously strong and cycling if you can do that).  Not likely to have a chance anymore after someone gets 4 turns either.

drg

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 02:27:01 pm »

I dislike cards that tend to reduce the number of viable strategies on the board to 1. Witch, Mountebank, and Torturer (if chaining is allowed) are the biggest offenders of this, and those are the last three cards I want to see when playing a level <20 player, especially Mountebank.

If you're talking about cards that reduce the board to 1 strategy, don't forget goons, familiar and the most annoying of all... minion.  If course, you can always overlap these cards and the game becomes a bit more interesting... but incredibly brutal.

Swindler is the worst card to have vs weak players imo.  On the other hand, the almost as random saboteur is a card I don't want to see vs good players.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.