Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Quick help with cookies  (Read 3040 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Quick help with cookies
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:39:23 am »

I don't seem to be able to create an account; I am told to ensure I have cookies enabled.

I am using Firefox, and have cookies configured as "Accept cookies from sites; ask me every time". So I must have accidentally blacklisted something; the forum cookie works fine for me. When I check my exceptions list, I see "forum.dominionstrategy.com" listed as "Allow"; I do not see "wiki.dominionstrategy.com" listed at all - normally I would expect, as a result, to be prompted to accept the cookie; but I don't get anything - the cookie is just treated as blocked.

Is there some other domain that I need to whitelist/un-blacklist? Do I need to "accept third-party cookies" for some reason to make the wiki work? (Nothing else has needed them.)

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Quick help with cookies
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:55:49 am »

cookies asking for permission in ff is some addon, or? I don't see where standard (up-to date) ff has this option...

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 03:06:33 pm »

Really, people don't know about this? It's been in every FF version since like at least 3.x.

Yes, it's a major interface WTF (the other options are "they expire" or "I close Firefox", which pertain to how long the cookies are kept; with this option selected, cookies are kept until they expire, but Firefox also asks you before accepting cookies). No, they still haven't fixed it. :/
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 03:08:09 pm by zahlman »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 09:20:20 pm »
+4

Depending on the type of cookie, you should either soften or melt the butter before adding the sugar and egg.  That will give a better consistency and make them a bit fluffier.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 09:30:47 pm »
+6

I dunno, Geronimoo's simulators tell me that Big Chocolate beats soft-butter engines 76.9% of the time, without any M&M optimization.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 10:37:15 pm »
+1

Edge case: if the soft butter engine is unsalted, you need a spice merchant.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 03:44:05 am »

I don't seem to be able to create an account; I am told to ensure I have cookies enabled.

I am using Firefox, and have cookies configured as "Accept cookies from sites; ask me every time". So I must have accidentally blacklisted something; the forum cookie works fine for me. When I check my exceptions list, I see "forum.dominionstrategy.com" listed as "Allow"; I do not see "wiki.dominionstrategy.com" listed at all - normally I would expect, as a result, to be prompted to accept the cookie; but I don't get anything - the cookie is just treated as blocked.

Is there some other domain that I need to whitelist/un-blacklist? Do I need to "accept third-party cookies" for some reason to make the wiki work? (Nothing else has needed them.)

Actually, I didn't have any problems so far. Have you tried another browser just to be sure it is a Firefox issue?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 04:06:30 am »

Yes, it's a major interface WTF (the other options are "they expire" or "I close Firefox", which pertain to how long the cookies are kept; with this option selected, cookies are kept until they expire, but Firefox also asks you before accepting cookies). No, they still haven't fixed it. :/

Agree with the WTF, in the attempt to not to post something stupid I went to the options at least twice, even clicked the drop-down but even in the context of this thread didn't had the idea the "ask me every time" or "jedes mal nachfragen" (which is literally the same) would mean something like this here. Thinking about it, what else should it mean, but as you say, the first two options let you actively think that this is not the place to find the answer...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 04:08:55 am by DStu »

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 05:17:16 am »

I don't normally use that option, but I just turned it on and cleared domain cookies for the site and got through the registration process fine.  (So one side effect is that I'm now registered on the wiki.)  There was one slightly odd thing though: when it tried to set the first new cookie after I cleared the old ones it said that there there were already 2 cookies for that domain.  So perhaps there is something going on somewhere.

After that I confirmed my email and had to confirm about 60 cookies to get in.  So now I'm back to "keep until they expire", with selective blocks for some sites.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.