Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Looking for a Storage Solution for All Items  (Read 11397 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Looking for a Storage Solution for All Items
« on: January 03, 2013, 06:42:41 am »

With Guilds around the corner it's time to look for a definitive storage solution. There's a reason I've waited this long. I wanted to be able to fit everything. Not like those James Bond collections where you have a beautiful case with 25 DVDs and with more coming out you either have to buy another expensive case or get a loose copy, ugh.

We know Guilds will have 150 cards total, but there may or may not be extra items like mats or tokens (although I doubt it).

So what's the grand total of Dominion cards? I'm only looking at Dutch versions, so no "Base Cards".
Base: 500
Intrigue: 500
Alchemy: 150
Seaside: 262
Prosperity: 250
Cornucopia: 150
Hinterlands: 266
Dark Ages: 500
Guilds: 150
---------------
Total: 2728

With all the mats and tokens I guess it makes sense to aim for a round 3000 cards, with some wiggle room for another expansion if RGG can squeeze some more out of Donald. Also these card totals factor in randomizers and blank cards which can be removed if needed.

I'm not a very good DIY kind of guy, although I'm not entirely useless. Any of you looking into this at the moment?
Maybe a big suitcase or a tool case?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Storage Solution for All Items
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 07:17:14 am »

I have a plastic box with three rows from German retailer Bauhaus (does not branch into the Netherlands). It does just about not fit all expansions (I'd estimate it'll hold 2100 cards), and it comes with only three dividers. On the plus side, it is cheap (about 8 € so you may consider buying two).

EDIT This is it.

After a bit of searching I found this solution which might be flexible and large enough.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 05:37:17 am by ipofanes »
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 07:50:01 am »

I have a plastic box with three rows from German retailer Bauhaus (does not branch into the Netherlands). It does just about not fit all expansions (I'd estimate it'll hold 2100 cards), and it comes with only three dividers. On the plus side, it is cheap (about 8 € so you may consider buying two).

After a bit of searching I found this solution which might be flexible and large enough.
Your link isn't quite right, I corrected it to http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/478445/Lagerkasten-Serie-147-3ZD-17-l-350-mm-x-470-mm-x-145-mm-Blau/2205010&ref=list

Something like that may be good for storage, but I also want to be able to carry it somewhere if needed so a big suitcase may be good?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:01:29 am »
+3

My friend recently made something and put it on BGG - it's quite expensive but should hold every expansion, and look cool to boot.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/900459/not-another-dominion-storage-solution
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 08:05:25 am »

My friend recently made something and put it on BGG - it's quite expensive but should hold every expansion, and look cool to boot.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/900459/not-another-dominion-storage-solution
Saw that one and it looks frickin' awesome! Would love to have something like that!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 02:59:32 pm »

That looks really nice.

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 03:07:33 pm »

That is really nice. It's definitely neat that you could actually carry with one hand too. But I'm still partial to just using the cheapo card boxes like http://www.bcwsupplies.com/products/trading-card-boxes/monster-storage-box-3200-ct.htm and making your inserts. The one I have isn't exactly this box but it still has all of the cards (sleeved as well) thus far and should have room for Guilds. The extra stuff fits, although some of it is laying on top of the cards so maybe it's not quite as presentable as some of the other options. And I did remove the extra set of treasure/victory from Intrigue because I have yet to need double sets of those.

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 03:24:00 pm »

The difficulty is not just finding something that can carry that many cards, but can do it in such  way that you can retrieve whichever 10 cards you need in a timely manner.

J-Kidder

• Thief
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 07:41:24 pm »
+3

I modified the box that Hobby Lobby sells for art supplies.  I have all the expansions and the Base Money set.  I have the extra thick sleeves on all of them and it fits everything (including randomizes) with plenty of room for the mats and the final expansion.

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 01:14:38 pm »

I modified the box that Hobby Lobby sells for art supplies.  I have all the expansions and the Base Money set.  I have the extra thick sleeves on all of them and it fits everything (including randomizes) with plenty of room for the mats and the final expansion.

Do you have a link to the box? Looks pretty cool and I'm curious about price/availability.

J-Kidder

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 02:10:40 pm »

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/wooden-artist-case-125005/
$20 and all you have to do is make your own dividers and remove the tray.  Easy!

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 05:32:11 am »

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/huis-en-inrichting/woonaccessoires-kisten/m630918743-grote-houten-koffer-koloniaals.html?c=8c285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr would also be pretty sweet.

My Dutch is failing me on this one; I cannot make sense of this sentence. "This case fits precisely a number of CDs." Could they care to reveal which number that is?

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 11:38:01 am »

That's true, but they look so nice. :)

And the sentence you're referring to means that you can fit a couple of rows of CDs in precisely.

Everly

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 12:39:36 pm »

This is the link to the thread I started about a year ago when I found that Hobby Lobby case.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/831335/storage-case-for-dominion-and-expansions

It has proven to be a really good case for myself and many others.  I have listed a couple on Ebay and they have gone really quickly, with everyone being happy with the end result.  Based on the measurements, it is large enough to have every set (including Guilds) fit with the Tokens, Mats, and Rules.  It can be stored upright and carded by the handle with no concern of the cards falling out of place.

If anyone is interested in having one made feel free to drop me a line.  It does get heavy when all of the cards are loaded in, but empty it is about 9lbs so it isn't too much to have shipped.  Because I have the templates set up, it is easy for me to include Fan-Made cards in your set so everything matches.  It is also fun to see all of the different ideas people have for setting up the cards so there are a lot of options that are available since it is a custom case for each person.

Destierro

• Bishop
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 01:25:52 pm »

This is the link to the thread I started about a year ago when I found that Hobby Lobby case.

It has proven to be a really good case for myself and many others.  I have listed a couple on Ebay and they have gone really quickly, with everyone being happy with the end result.  Based on the measurements, it is large enough to have every set (including Guilds) fit with the Tokens, Mats, and Rules.  It can be stored upright and carded by the handle with no concern of the cards falling out of place.

If anyone is interested in having one made feel free to drop me a line.  It does get heavy when all of the cards are loaded in, but empty it is about 9lbs so it isn't too much to have shipped.  Because I have the templates set up, it is easy for me to include Fan-Made cards in your set so everything matches.  It is also fun to see all of the different ideas people have for setting up the cards so there are a lot of options that are available since it is a custom case for each person.
Do you know if it holds sleeved cards?

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 02:21:09 pm »

I don't keep my cards ordered.  I have them all sleeved and in individual plastic baggies.  We only play with random sets, so we just grab 10 random bags out of my box.  I'm just using a large plastic bin for all the kingdom cards, and a smaller one with all the money and such ordered in it.  I know someone using the hobby lobby box, sleeved and in plastic bags and it fits everything with room for guilds.

Everly

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 03:08:47 pm »

Do you know if it holds sleeved cards?
Yes, the 6-row vertical setup will hold the cards if they are sleeved.  I don't sleeve myself, but other that use it have sleeved cards and indicate they will fit.

J-Kidder

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 05:57:53 pm »

As I said previously, all my cards are sleeved with the thick sleeves and there is plenty of room in the Hobby Lobby box for guilds.

Everly

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 08:34:47 pm »

As I said previously, all my cards are sleeved with the thick sleeves and there is plenty of room in the Hobby Lobby box for guilds.
Yeah, that is pretty much what I have experienced.  The dividers I make are on 110lb index card stock, so they are heavy duty and hold up well without adding a lot of extra space.

J-Kidder

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 11:02:37 pm »

I even laminated my dividers and there is still space.   :)

Indur

• Swindler
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 10:03:31 am »
+3

Here's my storage solution. Right now, it contains everything except Alchemy and Guilds, but they will fit as well.

What I've done is use two large 4-ring Magic: the Gathering binders, duct-taped together.

I prefer the 9-pocket sleeves over rows of cards with dividers. While compact when shut, the opened binders provide easy access to all cards. Treasure cards are kept in place against the spine of the binder (also using duct-tape).

Victory, Curse, Ruin and special treasure cards are located at the back.
“Memories are their own descendents masquerading as the ancestors of the present.”
--David Mitchell --
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 20 queries.