Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Getting extensions on goko when having the cards  (Read 14571 times)

Tilwen

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Getting extensions on goko when having the cards
« on: January 03, 2013, 04:26:17 am »

Hi !
 I'm not sure this question hasn't been answered yet, but I looked in goko's threads and didn't see it ... My question is : is there any possibility in goko dominion to unlock the extensions if we own the "real" cards at home ? I bought all extensions of dominion at home (I mean I can prove it with serial number etc), so could this help me to get access to the online cards ?
  Thanks !

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Getting extensions on goko when having the cards
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 04:30:00 am »

You have to purchase the online version seperate. A different compnay makes the online version and they need to make money somehow. So, the only way to unlock the expansions is by paying with cash.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 09:41:08 am »
+1

Think about it this way: would you get a copy of StarCraft: The Board Game free because you bought StarCraft 2?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 09:41:49 am »

Think about it this way: would you get a copy of StarCraft: The Board Game free because you bought StarCraft 2?

I think it's closer to, would you get to play with the Pokemon cards you bought in real life, online?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 09:49:29 am »
+1

From all I've heard about it, I think they'd have to pay me to take a copy of that out of their inventory.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

kuroishin

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 09:19:59 am »

I was a casual lurker but I had to register to this forum to counter this EPIC IDIOCY.
Really, it was the most stupid sentence I read within the last 2 years.

Dominion is the SAME game on cards and on videogame. There are NO new cards.

Have you ever plaied Starcraft 2 OR Starcraft: The Board Game in your whole life?
Is it the same thing?

MOST of the boardgames in the world, if they have an electronic version, it is given for free.
I can play Ticket to Ride with a code found in my original ticket to ride box.
I can even play stone age or carcassonne without even having the real box.
It would be (and actually is) stupid to pay TWO TIMES FOR THE SAME GAME.

Now report my post to the moderators and have me banned, I have stopped playing Dominion online with the death of isotropic. I own all the card sets and if they believe I am paying AGAIN for those, they can screw themselves.

And please if you have a brain use it because it is MISB right now.
This user is banned!

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 09:33:50 am »
+1

I think the problem here is more that most of the expansions where sold ages before someone even thought on an official online implementation, so there is not really a good way to provide this.  Afair you get (parts of?) Dark Ages for free when you bought DA in real life, but for the other sets it is not that easy.  Serial numbers all good and fine, but they probably have a pattern and could be generated quite easy without having the box...

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 09:54:37 am »

You have to purchase the online version seperate. A different compnay makes the online version and they need to make money somehow. So, the only way to unlock the expansions is by paying with cash.
This. You have to finance the development costs of online dominion and costs for servers, power, rent ...

i think ~5€ arent that much per expansion. its alot chaper than the real cards.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 09:55:00 am »

MOST of the boardgames in the world, if they have an electronic version, it is given for free.

This is patently false.  Unless you're talking about fan implementations (like Isotropic)... but those don't exactly count as "official" implementations, and the game publishers would be well within their rights to send C&D letters (though most of them don't).  If you're talking about BSW, understand that it's actually the other way around; game publishers pay to have their games on BSW--it's essentially advertising.

I'm absolutely certain my Ticket to Ride box doesn't have any code of the sort you're talking about, mainly because it was purchased long before any online implementation was available (and, in fact, before touch-screen phones and tablets... existed).

As was pointed out above, the Starcraft analogy was a poor one.  The best analogy is MTGO, which costs the same online and offline.  At least Goko Dominion is priced in the same range as Ascension, Nightfall, and similar apps.

Once again, though, you're not paying two times for the same game.  You have paid for the box(es) of Dominion cards, which allows you to play face-to-face Dominion.  Paying for  Goko you to play with thousands of people across the globe.  These are, fundamentally, two different things.  The only reason isotropic was free was, well, generosity.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 10:13:51 am »

I'm absolutely certain my Ticket to Ride box doesn't have any code of the sort you're talking about, mainly because it was purchased long before any online implementation was available (and, in fact, before touch-screen phones and tablets... existed).

I think you are wrong. I have a very first version of Ticket To Ride and there is a code that I use on the web site in 2005 ! But this code was for one free year, and after it was needed to pay a yearly registration.

I prefer Dominion way, where I pay once for all expansion and no recurring registration.

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 10:21:28 am »
+2

Without checking my boxes to confirm this, I'm reasonably sure Dominion doesn't have serial numbers. Most board games don't, since serial numbers are more relevant to limited editions or items covered by warranty. The number that you're talking about is probably the UPC, which is used by retailers to track inventory, will be identical on every copy of a particular product, and thus wouldn't prove anything.

If RGG had planned from the beginning to tie physical copies to a digital edition, they could have included proof-of-purchase numbers, but that's a different thing. I don't think there's any good way now to retroactively credit people for owning the physical game.

kuroishin

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 10:47:37 am »

I think you are wrong. I have a very first version of Ticket To Ride and there is a code that I use on the web site in 2005 ! But this code was for one free year, and after it was needed to pay a yearly registration.

I prefer Dominion way, where I pay once for all expansion and no recurring registration.

Of course, I also own both Ticket to Ride and Ticket to Ride EU and I found codes to play on line in both ones.
And Days of Wonder is not new to this.
Nor more italian board games too.

But the problem here is : how can a guy with a brain compare the huge differences there are between SW the videogame and SW the boardgame to the ZERO differences there are between Dominion the videogame and Dominion the cardgame.

The only added funcion is the chance to play on line.
And, for those owning the cards, that should be free.
It would be like as if I would have to pay the magic cards on apprentice too.
It would be ridicoulous.

Isotropic was not a "strange thing" but a normal thing.
The unacceptable fact is that it has been shut down in order to try to shift players into Goko.

And for the most of you who say "well $5 is not a big deal" congratulations, you're part of the problem.
One should be given A CHOICE.

Do you want a SLOWER (in fact isotropic was fast as hell), full of useless graphics and crappy avatar stuff? Go Goko and pay.
Do you want a FASTER essential free dominion play? Go on isotropic.

I heard about a lot of people complaining that EVEN if it was free they would have not plaied Goko for it's slowness and childish style, on isotropic.

A guy said me "I can play in the office without my boss noticing. That won't be able on Goko"
or another
"tried, but the interface takes a lot to run on my pc."

Goko is not an alternative to isotropic, is a whole different thing, and nobody felt the need of that.

But, happy you, go, pay Goko for a worse service, serve yourselves, but please do not say stupid things because there's no need.

And if Vaccarino and Goko team think that they will absorbe the vast number of players there was on isotropic... well I believe they would be quite surprised.

On my behalf, screw the netgame, I own all the cardsets + all the promos and they costed me A LOT.
So $5 IS a big deal.
I ALREADY own the cards.
There's no way to proof it? I know that.
So what? I'll find another game to play in my spare moments.

Congratulations, Goko has ruined my small fun time pauses and all the people who paied Goko are responsible too.
This user is banned!

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 10:56:52 am »
+4

it's a bit like when you pay to see a movie and then you have to pay for the DVD. It is the same thing by two differents ways !

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 11:01:43 am »
+1

It would be ridicoulous.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 11:14:17 am »

it's a bit like when you pay to see a movie and then you have to pay for the DVD. It is the same thing by two differents ways !
Slight difference:

It's like paying for the DVD and then going to a cinema and paying again, but without the big screen.

If the "strictly better" version is the one you have first, then paying again for the inferior one is a problem.

And I think you'd be even more amazed at how much "Hollywood Movie Money" gets awarded to people who buy DVDs so they will go watch movies in theaters.

Now, if you own the 30ft screen and the film, but then you want to watch it at a friends house and you can't bring it over, now you're stuck paying for the "strictly inferior" version to have the convenience.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 11:20:05 am »
+4

Congratulations, Goko has ruined my small fun time pauses and all the people who paied Goko are responsible too.

Man, who knew that I had the power to ruin some stranger's fun time pauses? I'm pretty badass!

You're entitled to hating on Goko, but at least recognize that nobody owes you anything free. You bought the cards. Yay. I'm sure RGG and Donald appreciate your support. But those cards don't entitle you anything free. They don't entitle you to Goko. They don't even entitle you to Isotropic; that bit was by the grace of DougZ and RGG (for not sending a cease-and-desist letter, even though it was completely within their rights). They entitle you to play with the physical cards in any way you see fit.

Yeah, it's a shame that the game is no longer available for free (kind of), but hysteria is not needed here. You don't have to go blaming the world for your ruined fun. If you can't find fun outside of Isotropic, then you really are the one denying yourself that fun.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 11:33:53 am »
+1

The only added funcion is the chance to play on line.  And, for those owning the cards, that should be free.
That is an opinion that the people selling the cards seem not to share.  You are always free to spend your money elsewhere.

MTGO cards cost the same as physical cards.  This has been noted many times before.

Isotropic was not a "strange thing" but a normal thing.
That depends on your definition of "normal." With no licensed version online, Isotropic was legal only in the sense that RGG allowed and encouraged its existence.  RGG could have shut it down at any time (they are quite friendly with dougz, it was their beta platform, they could have pulled the plug).  RGG would have also been well within their rights to go after other online implementations, even without an official version online.

The unacceptable fact is that it has been shut down in order to try to shift players into Goko.
"People want to make money off of their intellectual property.  That's not fair!  I should be able to get it for free!"

And for the most of you who say "well $5 is not a big deal" congratulations, you're part of the problem.
One should be given A CHOICE.
From whom are you demanding this choice?  RGG?  You still have a choice.  You can play on Goko, or play offline.

Do you want a SLOWER (in fact isotropic was fast as hell), full of useless graphics and crappy avatar stuff? Go Goko and pay.
Do you want a FASTER essential free dominion play? Go on isotropic.
"People want to make money off of their intellectual property.  That's not fair!  I should be able to get it for free!"

Goko is not an alternative to isotropic, is a whole different thing, and nobody felt the need of that.
Obviously RGG did.

----

Look, here's the thing.  There are a ton of completely sound reasons for not playing on Goko.  Perhaps you don't like the interface.  Perhaps you think it's inferior to isotropic, or that it's unplayable, or you don't like the lobbies, or the lack of matchmaking.  Perhaps you can't afford it.  I can't imagine faulting someone for following one of these lines of reasoning--especially when one of the reasons I boycotted Goko for so long was a few particular inferiorities of Goko.

But to say that you ought to be able to play there free because you already purchased the cards?  Life doesn't work that way.  You did not purchase a license to play online when you purchased the cards.  Just because RGG allowed one to be there, for free, is not a reason for them to continue giving it away.

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 11:37:55 am »
+12

I can't wait till Amazon finally loads my Kindle with copies of all of the thousands of books I've physically owned in my lifetime. I contacted them months ago on this issue but I'm still eagerly awaiting their response. I have the ISBN and even wrote my name in the cover of a lot of them.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 11:39:41 am »

The only added funcion is the chance to play on line.
And, for those owning the cards, that should be free.

That's just like, your opinion, man.

kuroishin

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 11:43:20 am »

They already made money by selling the cards.
It's thank to ME and other people buying the cards that now they reached the level to put it on line.
No problems tho, I will sell the whole cardset, promo included, and shift to another game who is not so MONEY focused.

And magic online is not free, but apprentice is.
I was talking about apprentice.

Plus, yet someone has to explain me what are this so great differences between the videogame and the cardgame that let an user comparate Starcraft 2 and Starcraft the boardgame.

Really, I may be retarded but in SC2 I see a videogame, and in SCBG I see a boardgame.
It's like someone telling me that FIFA 2013 it's the same thing as playing football with my friends.
EXACTLY.
SAME.
THING.
This user is banned!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 11:49:22 am »
+2

Dammit, Kuroishin is right! I'm sick of these so-called "software developers" trying to charge me for my birthright! What right have they to be paid for their last year or two of effort? They should work until they die of starvation, in order to make way for new developers! That is their place in society, as it has been and always shall be. Who here is willing to stand with me and fight for what is right?!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 02:03:47 pm by LastFootnote »

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 11:52:14 am »

It's thank to ME and other people buying the cards that now they reached the level to put it on line.
No problems tho, I will sell the whole cardset, promo included, and shift to another game who is not so MONEY focused.

Plus, yet someone has to explain me what are this so great differences between the videogame and the cardgame that let an user comparate Starcraft 2 and Starcraft the boardgame.

Really, I may be retarded but in SC2 I see a videogame, and in SCBG I see a boardgame.
It's like someone telling me that FIFA 2013 it's the same thing as playing football with my friends.
EXACTLY.
SAME.
THING.

It doesn't matter if the rules are the same (such as between online dominion and physical dominion) or if they are different (like with the two star crafts). Developing the rules is only a small fraction of the costs to develop a game. For the physical version, you need to print the cards. For the online version, you need to pay programmers and designers to create the game. There are extra costs involved with each one so it is silly to think that paying for one should give you the other. Like someone else pointed out, should Amazon give you ebook versions of your entire physical library?

Yes, RGG could've given away codes in DA or Guilds that gave you free access to the whole set. But they had no obligation at all to do so.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 11:57:36 am »

Dammit.  I think we may have been trolled.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 12:13:37 pm »

EXACTLY.
SAME.
THING.

People already pointed out that the StarCraft analogy was bad.  MtGO is a better analogy.  I don't know what this "Apprentice" software is, but from what I can glean on wiki, it's not even a full implementation.  It says that Apprentice lacks a rules engine, and that the newest version of Apprentice has a currently unknown pricing model.  MtGO itself still requires you to pay.

There is indeed a difference between Dominion and online Dominion.  They are not the same thing; buying one does not entitle you to the other.  YOU YOURSELF ACKNOWLEDGED THIS.  You noted how Goko Dominion is so inferior to isotropic Dominion.  But if offline Dominion and online Dominion are so similar, then surely two online implementations of Dominion must be identical?!  Clearly they aren't though, and the differences between online and offline are even greater.

Finally, Goko is a separate entity from Rio Grande Games.  RGG may have made some money from you purchasing physical sets of Dominion.  Goko has no slice of that pie.  They are a different company.

I wonder if kuroishin is actually a Goko employee who just wants us all to defend them. ;)

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 12:14:01 pm »

Like someone else pointed out, should Amazon give you ebook versions of your entire physical library?

Actually, wouldn't hurt.  But at least there are not plenty of people saying you don't understand money when you don't buy these e-books yourself.

The whole discussion is moot, it already was last time, and it's because people don't want to understand what the other people really want to say.
0) Magic.  Playing Magic is the best way to disqualify yourself as a role model when it comes to the reasonableness of purchasing anything. /scnr/itwasajoke
1) What do people mean when they say: "I don't want to play twice for $X"?  Do they mean the strongly object the act of paying for $X when you already payed for $X', no matter what?  Would these people complain if an expension costs $0.01 on goko?  Probably not, so they mean that the value they get from getting $X, given they already possess $X' does not justify purchasing $X for the current price.  That's completely reasonable, you also wouldn't pay half the price of the "real" book for the e-book if you already possess said "real" book.
Now, if you already paid some $200+- for a product (which probably costs that much because the marginal cost of said product is somewhere close to $200), and there exists a related product with marginal product close to $0, it's not completely unreasonable to hope that buying the $200 product also gets you some access to the $0 product.  Expect is a strong word here, of course you have no right in the legal sense, but of course you have the right to have expectations on products.

2) But as said, goko came a lot later than Dominion, so that you can not really think that way.  The boxes already sold long before goko even existed, they licensend the game and are a different company then RGG and probably don't get any money from sold boxes, let alone from sold boxes in the past.  So they have to get their money by themselves, which means somebody has to pay for it.
Also, games that are completely free on the net usually are that for marketing purposes.  Innovation probably gets a real boost by being free on isotropic just because it gets known.  BSW finances itself this way. When you won SdJ, you probably don't need this that much because you are already known.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 20 queries.