Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: BM Venture + Embargo/Expand beats Apothecary/Wishing Well/Scrying Pool/Vineyards  (Read 917 times)

khanh93

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/02/game-20130102-121513-2359ea3a.html

Going into the opening, I knew if he got a potion, then I would go for Embargo. I got lucky, Embargoing Apothecaries before he got to play his potion – he bought one anyway. He ends up with 5 Apothecaries, using Trade Route to trash three of the curses.

Did I get expand too late? I bought it T13, played it T15 and T19 (final turn of the game) for provinces. If I had it earlier, I could have maybe expanded Estate --> Venture.

Was I right to pick up Gold over Venture on T14? I was worried about Ventures skipping my Expand, and also that faster cycling in the green phase is probably bad. Considering my treasure composition, Gold is almost certainly worth more.

I get 4 Venture plays for copper, four for silver, and one for gold – fairly lucky – and barely won. Should the Vineyards player win on this board?

He picks up a province at some point. Is this a mistake for him? He has 3 vineyards worth 4 points at the end of the game; I can't help but think he could have gotten them higher.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 04:58:08 pm by khanh93 »

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile

In short, No.

Your opponent could have improved his play in many different ways like:
 - Open trade route
 - Invested more in actions EARLY (ie. not turn 8 duchy, i mean trade route's power isn't the dollars it provides).  Helps provide more use to scrying pool and vineyards.  Greens way too early, should have started once he could reliably draw out his deck.
 - Not buy 5 apothecaries and only buy 2?
 - Not buying provinces in general.

You can really tell on Turn 15/17 that he greens too early. 

There's just too much to embargo with 3 useful potion cards available that one embargo shouldn't really deter someone.  There also isn't an easy way to buy out 8 provinces (your opponent shouldn't have bought any really).  There isn't a really graet BM terminal to use here. 

With your play, I think opening embargo/silver isn't horrible if you want to slow them down a little.  I think you probably want 1 mine before heading into venture madness also.  Golds over venture is correct. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.