Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2013 Edition: $1-$2 cards  (Read 65307 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2013 Edition: $1-$2 cards (Part 1/2)
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2013, 10:57:47 am »

I have to admit, looking over my list there are probably three or four distinct blocks, where there are big jumps in quality, and those good cards start much earlier than I'd have expected. I think Vagrant is a useful card occasionally, but it suffers the same issue as Pearl Diver: It's a cantrip that occasionally helps just a little bit, and never really shines.

Like, my bottom 5 matches the bottom 5 here but in a different order. Then there's a big jump up to Cellar, Vagrant, Embargo, Pawn, Native Village. Then there's another big jump up and I have Fool's Gold, Haven, Poor House, Crossroads, Lighthouse, and finally Chapel, Hamlet and Courtyard.

(If you're astute you'll notice Squire and Beggar are missing, I'm really not sure on those. Squire I have between the top two sets, and Beggar between Native Village and Fool's Gold. Time will tell where I should have put those)
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2013, 11:40:24 am »

(If you're astute you'll notice Squire and Beggar are missing, I'm really not sure on those. Squire I have between the top two sets, and Beggar between Native Village and Fool's Gold. Time will tell where I should have put those)

Beggar isn't missing (in the list). Or You've meant something other?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2013, 11:42:12 am »

Beggar isn't missing (in the list). Or You've meant something other?
He means in HIS list.

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2013, 12:19:24 pm »

Sorry, I've said nothing  :)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2013, 01:32:11 pm »
+1

I have to admit, looking over my list there are probably three or four distinct blocks, where there are big jumps in quality, and those good cards start much earlier than I'd have expected. I think Vagrant is a useful card occasionally, but it suffers the same issue as Pearl Diver: It's a cantrip that occasionally helps just a little bit, and never really shines.

No, Vagrant shines in a crossroads-nobles/harem kind of deck. Vagrant can be very powerful sometimes...

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2013, 02:21:06 pm »

Ah, yes, it triggers on dual type cards. Perhaps I underrated it slightly. Then again, how common are those games? I'll have to see as I play Dark Ages more.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2013, 06:21:11 pm »
+4

Here's the video link:

The Best $1-$2 Cards (Part 2/2)

#10 Native Village (Seaside) Weighted Average: 51.0% ▼0.3pp / Median: 47.4% ▼5.9pp / Standard Deviation: 19.2% ▼2.7pp
Highest Value(s): 94.4% (1x), 89.5% (3x) / Lowest Value(s): 26.3% (5x), 15.8% (1x)

Native Village has nearly the same value, but loses a rank in comparism to last year if we ignore Dark Ages cards. It would also have been a rank higher if we would take the unweighted ranking into account. It has also the second highest deviation in this list.

The problem with NV is that you get no immediate benefit beside the +2 Actions. If you use it as a cheap village you only draw 1/2 card per play. But that's not the intended use. But you can use it either as a pseudo-trasher by putting bad cards on the mat. But normally it fails that you cannot choose the card to put there. You need assistence with cards like Spy or especially Apothecary. The best use may be to use it for mega-turn with a lot of buys. NV+Bridge is the most effective combo. It's also neat on boards with heavy cursing to either forge a big hand or to get at least once to $6-$8.
#9 Pawn (Intrigue) Weighted Average: 52.4% ▲3.2pp / Median: 52.6% ▼0.7pp / Standard Deviation: 14.0% ▲3.1pp
Highest Value(s): 86.7% (1x), 84.2% (1x), 73.7% (1x) / Lowest Value(s): 27.8% (1x), 15.8% (2x)

Pawn is now better than Native Village and has the same rank as last year even though one Dark Ages card is still coming. And like said before it would be on #10 with the unweighted ranking. And having a real bad deviation last year, this year it has way more agreement.

Pawn is bad if you don't know how to play it and simply use it as a cantrip. But it can be very useful as a cheap source of +Buy and in the beginning it's mostly a cheap Silver if you use it for card + money. Its flexibility makes it good. But it's not great, but can be very useful in a lot of case. It's great as source of +Buy or +$1 in Minion games and is good in engines with draw-up-to-X cards like Watchtower. It can win your game because you picked it up for +Buy but normally it's no game-changer. And if you use it for card + action it at least doesn't hurt.
#8 Haven (Seaside) Weighted Average: 56.7% ▼1.7pp / Median: 57.9% ▼2.1pp / Standard Deviation: 17.5% ▼3.0pp
Highest Value(s): 94.7% (1x), 80.0% (1x), 78.9% (6x) / Lowest Value(s): 21.1% (2x), 0.0% (1x)

Haven is on the same rank as last year (ignoring Dark Ages). This time it has two big outliers on both sides. One voted it second and one voted it last, this caused the drop in consensus this year.

Haven reduces your hand size by one, but your next hand size is bigger, that hurts very rarely, so it's like a mini-Tactician. And this ability to minimize draw luck is great. You have $11, just set a Gold aside. You have $7, just set a Copper aside. Two terminal actions in hand, no problem. A village you don't need this turn, etc. You get your maximum out of your money and your actions. It's a very good card, but no game-changer what may be the reason why it isn't a tier 1 card. It supports every strategy but isn't a strategy on its own. Still it's one of the best $2 cost cards for a 5/2 opening split. Trading Post / Haven is the best Trading Post opener on #14 ▼5 and Mountebank / Haven is on #23 ▼8.
#7 Crossroads (Hinterlands) Weighted Average: 64.9% ▲3.2pp / Median: 68.4% ▲8.4pp / Standard Deviation: 14.4% ▲0.7pp
Highest Value(s): 89.5% (1x), 84.2% (6x) / Lowest Value(s): 40.0% (2x), 36.8% (1x), 13.3% (1x)

We make the next bigger gap and come to another card which stays where it was. Crossroads only has 7 below average votes with one bigger outlier and now already some really high votes. Its rating is also way better than last year.

Crossroads is the only card with +3 Actions so far (yeah Fishing Village has it too in some way). And this can be very useful. The problem is the luck factor you need with that card. If you buy it early and get a hand with 4 coppers, you wish it were a Silver or one of the next $2 cards. Later you draw it with 3 Estates and you draw now your Vault and you can buy a Province for sure. It combos well with cards that take advantage of big hands. So Crossroads + Vault is very good as is Wharf/Crossroads. And of course it's great with your good $5 attacks, especially setting up a Torturer chain. Baron + Crossroads is also nice because it gives you the actions to play multiples and you can much easier connect Estate and Baron together. Crossroads is rarely a reason to go green earlier, but it helps a lot in the end game and can assure you won't lose your buying power. And sometimes there are so many good terminals that you only want it for its 3 Actions. As mentioned above another problem is that it only synergizes with victory cards not with curses what makes it a worse alternative to Cellar in cursing games. Drawing without having to discard is often better because you have targets for other cards, for example trash-for-benefit cards. Torturer / Crossroads is the second best Torturer opener on #85.
#6 Squire (Dark Ages) Weighted Average: 70.9% / Median: 73.7% / Standard Deviation: 17.8%
Highest Value(s): 100% (1x), 94.7% (4x) / Lowest Value(s): 42.1% (5x), 26.3% (1x)

Squire is the best Dark Ages card in this list without a doubt. It is also the first card which got voted first. But it has a pretty high deviation as it is still new and has a big outlier with 26.3%. It was voted 8 times below average.

Squire is strong because of its flexibility similar to Pawn. Squire's first option +2 Actions is stronger than Pawn's +$1, +1 Action and can be useful in engines or when Squires collide. Squire's second option +2 Buys is also stronger than Pawn's +1$, +1 Buy and can be very useful in buying more Squires, in alt-VP games like Gardens games where buying Coppers isn't that bad and of course in engines where having extra buys is very important. And Squire's third option, gaining a Silver is a great choice whenever you don't need Actions or Buys and can be great if you go for Feodum or any other alt-VP too. And there's its on-trash effect which is very powerful. You can open Chapel/Squire, trash down your deck and gain a Goons on the way. It only misses the draw, but is useful in any engine and most alt-VP games.
#5 Lighthouse (Seaside) Weighted Average: 75.6% ▼1.5pp / Median: 78.9% ▼1.1pp / Standard Deviation: 13.2% ▲0.6pp
Highest Value(s): 100% (2x), 94.7% (1x) / Lowest Value(s): 52.6% (2x), 31.6% (1x)

Lighthouse was on #4 last year, so it has lost one rank. It was voted only once below average and has really high consensus.

With Lighthouse on the board, you really need to evualate if it's worth buying a attacking engine. It may the best Reaction that isn't even blue. Why? Most important: It's non-terminal. Unlike Moat, it cannot collide with other terminal actions or another copy. Second: It gives you money. It may look like a Copper, but after you play it, you are safe and get even another $1 the next turn. No surprise Trading Post / Lighthouse is the #21 best opening. Without the reaction part it's still nearly as good as Silver, but on boards with heavy attacks, it's clearly superior to Silver. You only have to make sure you play one Lighthouse each turn.
#4 Fool's Gold (Hinterlands) Weighted Average: 81.2% ▲4.9pp / Median: 84.2% ▲4.2pp / Standard Deviation: 14.4% ▲2.6pp
Highest Value(s): 94.7% (9x) / Lowest Value(s): 52.6% (2x), 15.8% (1x)

Fool's Gold went up a rank and with the unweighted ranking taking into account it would have been even on #3. The was only one big outlier below average and a lot of votes on #2. It also gained a lot of consensus in comparism to last time. You might call it the winner of this list.

Going for Fool's Gold is its own strategy. If you buy just one or two, it mostly isn't worth it, because the reaction part isn't the strong part. You want FG in masses, in high density. With a card with money and +Buy and/or a card drawer it's really great and you have to go for it. Goal: Get as many FGs as you can. Margrave + FG, Wharf + FG (#11 best opening) or Nomad Camp + FG are good combos, Remodel + FG and Mine + FG as well, but you can get even higher density with Mint. Mint + FG is the fifth =0 best opening on Councilroom. That may reason enough that FG deserves to be in the Top 5. Connecting at least two FG isn't that hard if you've got lots of them. And then it's better than Silver. But you really have to analyze when to buy it. On boards with strong cursers where it's unlikely to connect them, it's one of the worst cards - on other boards it's the best card.
#3 Courtyard (Intrigue) Weighted Average: 82.4% ▼1.1pp / Median: 84.2% ▼2.5pp / Standard Deviation: 14.1% ▼2.6pp
Highest Value(s): 94.7% (8x) / Lowest Value(s): 47.4% (1x), 42.1% (1x), 33.3% (1x)

Courtyard is only slightly better than Fool's Gold and with the unweighted ranking it would be on the fourth rank. It even got 3 votes below average and 1 vote less on the second place then Fool's Gold.

Courtyard is really great with Big Money. Like Haven it minimizes shuffle luck by putting a card on top of the deck, so if you have too much money or a second Courtyard in hand, that's no problem. But you don't get a 6 card hand like with Haven. But the card draw makes it one of the best Big Money enablers and that's outstanding for a $2 card and if you compare it with Smithy which costs $4. Its concept is simple but very effective. Don't underestimate the power of Courtyard. Additionally Courtyard is also a good drawer in engines as you can put your strong colliding terminal action also on top of your deck. So it's nearly everytime a very strong card.
#2 Hamlet (Cornucopia) Weighted Average: 88.2% ▲3.7pp / Median: 89.5% ▲2.8pp / Standard Deviation: 11.3% ▼0.3pp
Highest Value(s): 100% (4x) / Lowest Value(s): 66.7 (1x), 46.7% (1x), 44.4% (1x)

Hamlet is on the same rank as last year and got 4 first rank votes. It was only voted twice below the upper third and gained a lot of points with a rise of 3.7pp

It's one of the best villages around. Yes, you have to discard one card as "payment" for the second action, but if you really need the +2 Actions there's no problem for you to discard that Copper. And most important: Most engines lack +Buy. Hamlet may provide that for another card as payment. Even if you don't need the +2 Actions for your strategy, a non-terminal card with +Buy is always worth to buy. So, if you use both options, you have a Worker's Village for $2, but you have to "pay" for that options. And when you got your first Hamlet you can easily buy more Hamlets with that additional +Buy. With "draw up to" cards like Watchtower or Library it's brilliant and everybody's favourite for engine building. Of course it's not that useful in Big Money boards what may be the reason for many prefering the more flexible Courtyard over Hamlet.
#1 Chapel (Base) Weighted Average: 99.3% ▲0.9pp / Median: 100% =0 / Standard Deviation: 3.0% ▲1.1pp
Highest Value(s): 100% (48x) / Lowest Value(s): 89.5% (3x), 88.9% (1x)

Really, that's still no surprise. A nearly perfect score, it got even better ratings and has a higher consensus with only 3% of deviation!

So, what's up with that uber-card? Even Donald X. admitted that Chapel is a little bit overpowered and he won't release another card so strong like Chapel in future expansions. Trashing is important in the beginning, and the cost of Chapel enables everyone to open with Chapel. As Councilroom shows it's veeery strong, but only if you open with it. You even want to start Chapel/Silver with 3/4. It's not every time a must-buy but in most occasions it is. It's so strong that you already can say you lost if your opponent opened Witch/Chapel and you have a 4/3 start. With Mountebank/Chapel on #1 =0, Govenor/Chapel on #3 ▼1 and Tournament/Chapel on #4 ▲2 it's three times in the Top 5 openings, 6 times in the Top 10 and 29 ▲2 times in the top #100. So, its power is undeniable. I do agree that it's more often skippable than it used to be, especially on Big Money boards or other boards with strong key cards which you want ASAP.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 08:26:22 pm by Qvist »

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2013, 06:26:30 pm »
+1

Native village is way too low.
Fool's gold, hamlet, and crossroads and pawn are too high.

I mean, why does anybody like hamlet anyway? It's like worker's village, but you have to discard 2 cards. That's bad. If you use it for the +Buy, it's only a tiny bit better than pawn. Native village, IMO, is better.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2013, 06:28:41 pm »
+1

I mean, why does anybody like hamlet anyway? It's like worker's village, but you have to discard 2 cards. That's bad. If you use it for the +Buy, it's only a tiny bit better than pawn. Native village, IMO, is better.

It costs half as much, that's why it's good.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2013 Edition: $1-$2 cards (Part 2/2 posted)
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2013, 06:31:52 pm »

Native village is way too low.
Fool's gold, hamlet, and crossroads and pawn are too high.

I disagree with most everything you're saying here, except on hamlet. But I think hamlet is only SLIGHTLY off - you don't HAVE to make it worker's village, and sometimes the discard is a benefit (tunnel, menagerie, watchtower/library/jack. But yeah, I don't think it's THAT hot.

Haven, there's a card I would say is too high. It just does so little for you so often. But, you know, it's usually at least mildly good... I dunno, I'd put it closer to vagrant.

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2013, 06:35:49 pm »

Thanks for this part, but somehow I am only able to see half of the video.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2013, 06:52:02 pm »

Hm, you're right. I try to figure out what happened.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2013, 06:53:13 pm »

Yeah, same. It cuts off at 5:18 in both Chrome and Firefox.

Anyway Fool's Gold looks a bit high here, but everything else looks okay. Hamlet I think definitely deserves second. It might offer not much quite a lot of time, but having the option of both an extra action, or an extra buy, or both at hand is HUGE. Especially if you're aiming to draw your deck, then the discards will possibly get drawn again anyway, if you get the extra actions now, or alternately well then you're getting the extra buys for free. It can really enable engines on boards, offering two important components, and extremely cheaply as well.

Fool's Gold is good pretty often, but there's a lot of the time it's not good. It really needs some trashing and/or gainers to work well, and even then, it has to end the game quickly - it really struggles if you drag it into a duchy dance. And especially, it's not so hot in 3+ player games, where if two players split them, the third will often win.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2013, 07:32:33 pm »
+1

I think Hamlet is too high. Yah, it is neat and all and worthy of top 5, but I think Courtyard should be number 2. It is much easier to get more benefit from Courtyard in more decks than Hamlet. Not every deck is an engine and really needs +Buy and against discard attacks, Hamelt is really weak.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2013, 07:37:50 pm »

Not bad. I ranked Squire and Courtyard ahead of Hamlet, I think. But, this is fine.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2013, 07:38:38 pm »
+1

Yeah, same. It cuts off at 5:18 in both Chrome and Firefox.

Anyway Fool's Gold looks a bit high here, but everything else looks okay. Hamlet I think definitely deserves second. It might offer not much quite a lot of time, but having the option of both an extra action, or an extra buy, or both at hand is HUGE. Especially if you're aiming to draw your deck, then the discards will possibly get drawn again anyway, if you get the extra actions now, or alternately well then you're getting the extra buys for free. It can really enable engines on boards, offering two important components, and extremely cheaply as well.

Fool's Gold is good pretty often, but there's a lot of the time it's not good. It really needs some trashing and/or gainers to work well, and even then, it has to end the game quickly - it really struggles if you drag it into a duchy dance. And especially, it's not so hot in 3+ player games, where if two players split them, the third will often win.
Actually, I've found that it's really good for basically any kind of money deck - it just outclasses silver, anyway - but, and here's the kicker, it's even better for engines. Yup. I mean, think about it - you're drawing most of your deck, so getting them to collide is not so much a problem. Two is better than two silvers, three is as good as three golds, four is obscene. And they're easy to pick up in lots of engines. The only issue is whether you can afford to get them at the beginning of the game, with the decreased chance of hitting key 5-costs.
So trashing is occasionally nice but really not necessary, gaining is definitely nice but also unnecessary. They don't hold up in duchy dances, that's true. But usually duchy dancing won't matter, if they don't get the fool's gold.
Multiplayer, the dynamics change, but I find that usually if two people go for FG, they beat others who don't. And with more players, the reaction ability really comes in as well...

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2013, 07:55:38 pm »
+1

Comparing the list to my list:
Chapel =
Fool's Gold +2
Courtyard =
Lighthouse +1
Crossroads +2
Squire -1
Hamlet -5
Haven =
Embargo +1
Vagrant +5
Beggar +2
Native Village -2
Pawn -4
Herbalist +3
Cellar -2
Poor House -4
Pearl Diver +1
Duchess +1
Moat -3
Secret Chamber =

I think Hamlet is quite overrated.  7 might be too low, but 2 is just too high. Probably 4-5 is about right for it.  Vagrant has seemed strong to me, but admittedly all the games I have played with it had Looter's... without Looters, it is likely weak.  Poor House, I think I intended to rank higher as I have found it quite strong, especially with throne room.  And Pawn, I definitely think is overrated.  I think I even overrated it.
A man on a mission.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2013, 08:26:08 pm »

Ok, re-upload didn't work. So I did a re-cut and re-upload and now it seems to work.
New video is here:

I edit the post above too.

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2013, 05:52:10 am »

I totally agree with Powerman. Hamlet ist too high at 2nd, maybe 5th for me and vagrant is better than most are thinking

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2013, 08:03:01 am »

I think crossroads is way too low. It's the 3rd best for me simply because I remember of so many games were crossroads was the key card : it really gets crazy sometimes.
Lighthouse should be at least higher than courtyard and hamlet.
Haven and Native village are too high, pawn and squire also a bit.

Chapel is still overrated.

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2013, 08:28:34 am »
+2

In my opinion, Squire is superior to Hamlet. Squire also offers the option of +2 actions, in combination with money. Fishing Village and Bazaar are good in engines because of the money, I think. The option of two buys is also nice to get more Squires, similar to Hamlety ability, and the Silver-gaining is also quite good. These three options make Squire interesting for nearly all kinds of decks, in Engines, you can use Squire for actions and buys, in BM you can use it to gain Silver and if you draw it with Jack, you can either really make use of Jack's draw up to five cards ability or trash the Squire for a strong attack you want to get (Goons, Mountebank, Familiar, which you can get more easily with the help of squire in all boards with Squire, a trasher and Familiar) or use it for its silver gaining. As copper is not that bad in BM, the +$1 is not that bad either. And in alt VP rushes you can especially make use of the two buys or the Silver gaining, and you can avoid collisions of i. e. two workshops in a workshop gardens rush. In contrast to that, Hamlet is best in engines, so Squire is much more flexible.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2013, 03:20:17 pm »
+1

No. Hamlet beats Squire.

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2013, 03:21:08 pm »
+1

Squire doesn't draw which hurts.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2013, 03:47:42 pm »

squire has a huge problem in that it cannot be a cantrip. So when you don't need it it actively hurts you.

Also I should note obviously, +1 action +$1 is better than +2 actions when you only have one other action in hand... and +$1 +1 buy looks in average way better than +2 buy...

EDIT: hamlet is overated as well that I don't argue.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:51:37 pm by timchen »

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2013, 03:49:51 pm »

That is true of course, but still I think Squire is usefull in more kinds of decks than Hamlet.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 21 queries.