Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My Second Card : Hypnotist  (Read 1352 times)

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
My Second Card : Hypnotist
« on: January 02, 2013, 02:09:26 pm »

After the Swamp, I suggest you a 2nd card

Hypnotist
Type : Action/Reaction
Cost : Potion + $2 + number of player (so for a 2 players game the cost is "Potion + $4" and for a 6 players game the cost is "Potion + $8")
Description : +1 Action, each others players reveal their hands. For each player, you play one action card (which is not an hypnotist) in the order of your choice. Players keep in their hands the played cards.
-----------------------------------
When another player plays an Hypnotist, you may reval this from your hand. If you do, you are unnaffected by the Hypnotist.

This card is not an attack, because nothing can protect a hypnotist except another hypnotist.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Re: My Second Card : Hypnotist
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 06:54:55 pm »

The unique cost makes this pretty hard to judge, but the card looks hugely overpriced for at least 2-4 player games. In 2 player, it's a $4p which plays you possibly one card out of probably very little choice that was one that fits your opponent's strategy and not necessarily yours. I think that effect might be acceptable as a $4, it's certainly not a $4p. In 3 player, suddenly you have something about as valuable as a King's Court - probably more actually - and it's letting you play up to two cards. This would probably be okay as a $5. Still bad. Four player, it's more expensive than a Province, and the effect is... now actually probably worse, because engines are harder to build in 4 player games, so there's a good chance this misses a few players.

The blocking effect seems very tacked on, it really doesn't seem necessary for the card. The card isn't an attack in any way, so doesn't really need something to stop it (it would be like Tribute having a clause that if the player to your left revealed a Tribute, then they only revealed one card from your deck).

I think if you fixed the cost at $5 and removed the reaction, then you might have something pretty reasonable. Maybe even $4 would be better - it gets crazy in 5-6 player, possibly, but so do Thief and the like, and it's poor in 2 player still.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 04:17:04 am »

The blocking effect seems very tacked on, it really doesn't seem necessary for the card. The card isn't an attack in any way, so doesn't really need something to stop it (it would be like Tribute having a clause that if the player to your left revealed a Tribute, then they only revealed one card from your deck).

I assumed that that was to stop the Hypnotising of Hypnotists, which could rapidly get crazy, and be a tracking nightmare.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:40:08 am »

I assumed that that was to stop the Hypnotising of Hypnotists, which could rapidly get crazy, and be a tracking nightmare.

He already has a separate clause to stop that; it doesn't allow you to choose Hypnotists.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 08:52:33 am »

The unique cost makes this pretty hard to judge, but the card looks hugely overpriced for at least 2-4 player games. In 2 player, it's a $4p which plays you possibly one card out of probably very little choice that was one that fits your opponent's strategy and not necessarily yours.

Yes, definitely overpriced, especially when compared to Golem. It may be as strong as a Golem in a 4p game, but at the cost of 6+P.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.