Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My First Card : Swamp  (Read 1350 times)

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
My First Card : Swamp
« on: January 02, 2013, 08:45:53 am »

Hi, I will suggest you my first card :

Swamp
Type : Action/Duration
Cost : $5
Description : While this is in play after your buy turn and until the start of your next turn,  card cost $1 more, including cards in players hands

I call it "swamp" because bridge and highway permit to escape from the swamp ;)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
Re: My First Card : Swamp
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 09:41:52 am »
+1

I do think there are some interesting ideas in the direction of increasing prices, but it would need to be something more complicated than this.  This is a stackable attack essentially, and in a four or five player game could lead to inescapable slogs where one struggles to even scrape together enough to buy a Copper each turn, let alone a VP yielding Estate.   Even in a 2 player match up, a slim deck which places a few of these per turn -- perhaps with Throne Room or King's Court -- could completely pin your opponent.

As a technical note, since this card does nothing on your next turn, it would be cleaned up during the turn it's played, as per the rules for Duration cards, so the Duration type really isn't doing anything here.
Well you *do* need a signature...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 10:41:06 am »
+1

Also note that Donald's first version of Cutpurse was something just like this.

As Peebles says, the fact that this can stack kind of makes it undoable... in a multiplayer game, things can easily come to a stand-still.

Swamp is a great name, though. :)
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 10:52:53 am »

I understand the name Swamp, but my interpretation of Dominion's theme is that buying a swamp would mean that there's a swamp in your kingdom, not your opponent's.  So why would the presence of a swamp near you cause prices for others to rise for them?
Well you *do* need a signature...

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 11:36:50 am »

I understand the name Swamp, but my interpretation of Dominion's theme is that buying a swamp would mean that there's a swamp in your kingdom, not your opponent's.  So why would the presence of a swamp near you cause prices for others to rise for them?

Just from a thematic interpretation here, a swamp would decrease property values.  So, a swamp could be worth -1 VP for every X Victory cards*, and you would need a way to stick it in your opponent's deck.

* I would probably try X = 3 at first, or maybe X = 5.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.