Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How do you play a Warehouse/Hamlet/Watchtower/Smuggler/Highway set?  (Read 1334 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile

Here's the board:

Embargo, Fairgrounds, Hamlet, Highway, Oracle, Scheme, Smugglers, Warehouse, Watchtower, and Wishing Well

What's your strategy, assuming you and your opponent start 4/3?

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
Re: How do you play a Warehouse/Hamlet/Watchtower/Smuggler/Highway set?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 05:38:54 pm »
+2

The general strategy in the end should consists of hamlet/warehouse to sift, provide + actions, provide + buys and watchtower to compensate the reduction in handsize.  The point of this would be to play highways and smugglers.  This also fends off against any embargoes nicely with the use of smugglers/watchtower to get around such problems.  If you want to go for such a deck, silver/golds should be avoided because as you are trying to discard cards constantly, the golds/silvers will provide with significantly less benefit. 

I think the cards you want to add at the start are hamlets, watchtowers and warehouses.  Despite hamlet being the cheapest, this should take priority as without hamlets, the strategy will run out of gas quite quickly, especially without any trashing. 

The problem with such a deck would be the lack of money.  The downside with opening like this is that you won't be able to buy many pieces.  Highway helps with that, but again, going with hamlets/warehouse/watchtowers doesn't really provide you with the best type of economy.  Thus this deck is a little reliant on getting to $5 early and even may require you to buy a silver even though it may be detrimental later on. 

Or you can go Oracle/BM. 

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 03:44:46 pm »

I'm with RJ, but had a few thoughts of my own.  I really like the engine on this board.  It really breaks down into 2 games, the engine mirror, or engine vs. BM.  Generically, I like Silver/Warehouse as an opening in order to allow Highway/Hamlet T3/T4.  I think you would be too short on money early with out 1 Silver, but that silver is pretty useless later. 

In the case of Engine vs. BM Oracle, I think the engine player could put an Embargo or 2 on the Provinces.  The engine player who can get around it with Watchtower/Smugglers or just end it with a mega turn so the never "see" the curses in there deck.  With the Highway/Hamlets uncontested I would expect it to end in a mega turn, but I'm not sure.

In the engine mirror Hamlet/Highway will be very contested, and whoever wins that split I think will likely win the game.  I imagine this ending in a 3 pile of Hamlet/Highway, and maybe Watchtower.  Whoever has more +Buys will have an advantage in the ability to 3 pile. 

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 10:56:39 am »

In the engine mirror Hamlet/Highway will be very contested, and whoever wins that split I think will likely win the game.  I imagine this ending in a 3 pile of Hamlet/Highway, and maybe Watchtower.  Whoever has more +Buys will have an advantage in the ability to 3 pile.

In a highly contested mirror Hamlet/Highway game, what do you do about Smugglers?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.