Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 3 card magic  (Read 2748 times)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
3 card magic
« on: December 31, 2012, 12:51:55 pm »
+1

Okay, so here's the set:

You're using Dominion and Dark Ages

The 10 cards are:

Witch
Moneylender
Village
Feast
Cellar
Adventurer
Rats
Poor House
Pillage
Hermit

And here's some things you might need to know

You're playing with 1 opponent, so that means 8 Provinces
You're starting with the Shelters

And here's the catch.

You can only buy or gain 1 card after the first 2 turns. So that means 3 cards other than the Shelters and 7 Coppers, unless of course you decide not to buy anything on one of the first 2 turns. After those 3 cards, you can only buy provinces. Oh yeah, and did I mention that other than Coppers, you can't buy money?

So this is how it goes. Your opponent buys 3 coppers for his cards, and strangely he doesn't get any provinces (I wonder why?)

So, what cards do you buy?

Edit: Removed the perfect shuffle clause
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:41:05 pm by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
Re: 3 card magic
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 01:31:14 pm »

I guess I'd buy 2 poor houses and a village
It's the only way that I see that let's me buy all of the provinces.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 01:34:57 pm »

Almost my good friend. Almost. You got 2 right. What about the 7 coppers that will stop your Poor Houses?

Edit: Also remember that you're starting with the Shelters.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:36:59 pm by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 01:41:28 pm »

I was assuming perfect shuffle luck, so I always had all my shelters together with my poor houses. I guess that you wanted moneylender/poor house/poor house

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 01:42:11 pm »

Yep

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 02:17:42 pm »

even with moneylender poor house poor house you can only play one action a turn...

without perfect shuffle luck you can still buy village poor house poor house and just skip your turn when you draw copper, you'll get lucky 8 times eventually...

EDIT: I see, you can use necropolis to play both poor houses. However;

once you have trashed your coppers your deck is;

necropolis, moneylender, overgrown estate, hovel, poor house, poor house. six cards. One of your three key cards could be the sixth one out, so there is till only a 50-50 chance of getting a province. you could also theoretically never draw moneylender with coppers. Also by buying provinces you further decrease your chance of hitting necropolis poor house poor house.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 02:24:42 pm by liopoil »

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 02:20:46 pm »

by using hermit instead of village you greatly increase your chances of getting a province hand. You can discard up to two coppers with hermit. You still need to draw your poor houses together though.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 02:23:56 pm »
+1

by using hermit instead of village you greatly increase your chances of getting a province hand. You can discard up to two coppers with hermit. You still need to draw your poor houses together though.

Hermit, not Hamlet.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 02:27:04 pm »

Hermit, not Hamlet.
whoops XD

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 04:21:38 pm »

Well, my original answer was Poor House Poor House Moneylender And hermit you can't trash your coppers.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 04:45:35 pm »

Yes I know, I was thinking hamlet; which lets you discard.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.