Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SWAG #4  (Read 2784 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
SWAG #4
« on: December 30, 2012, 06:41:47 pm »
+1

A recent game against shark_bait that he most graciously agreed that I could annotate, as we had a nice conversation about it at the start of the next game. Thoughts comments and annotations coming at the end of the week.
Without further ado, here's the set:

cards in supply: City, Colony, Expand, Explorer, Goons, Governor, Loan, Margrave, Moat, Platinum, Potion, Remake, and Transmute

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: SWAG #4
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 07:12:47 pm »

Uh, some sort of big Governor for draw + discarding attack, with Goons or Margrave? I see that as the main thing. Of course the question is when/whether/how much to do Cities. They are your only village to play multi-Goons, after all. But they compete with Governor, which will be so good here with the discarder. Of course if Governors run, then Cities are awesome.

Anyway, I imagine those are the cards really in play, though that leaves a lot of unanswered questions, still, concerning when to do what.

I imagine you want to open Remake/Silver regardless though. Then I want a Goons, at least a few Governors, and maybe switch to Cities and more Goons?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 07:22:39 pm »
+1

Moat might be surprisingly awesome here, getting to keep those huge hands is pretty nice. The opportunity cost is pretty big even with the excess buys from goons though.

I'd open remake-silver, get a single goons whenever I hit 6, 2-3 governors first, then cities and goons and see what happens. Dunno though, looks like it's going to be determined by VP chips either way. Opponents governors giving you more chances to have the moat in hand when the goons finally arrive is nice.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 12:07:13 am »
+1

Margrave is one of my favourite cards, Governor+Goons+City is scary.  The Governor->Discard game is dangerous because of Moat.  Just pick up one or two and your opponent will have to think twice before using Governor draw, because each play of it makes it more likely that you'll have Moat in hand.

This is one of those boards where all the available power makes my brain explode. 

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 04:17:28 am »

I guess this is a board where the overall strategy is quite obvious (Goons/Governor into Cities with Margrave), but the way to go there is the tricky part. The big question probably is whether to focus on Cities or on Governor, or at what point to transition from Governor into Cities. With some Cities going, also Moat becomes interesting, and at some point you might want to buy Coppers with Goons, since you can Remake them the next turn anyway. Going green (when, or if at all) is another question that's not so easy, but Expand could make also this path viable.

So, not really a very strategic board, but one that is very complex tactically.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 07:37:39 am »

I'll have a stab at remake/loan going into a city/goons finish with moats, governors, expand coming in along the way. If the piles deplete in certain ways then perhaps the goons finish will be circumvented by some remake/governor/expand up to colonies. As with annotated game 3, it's very hard to see through the mid game since you need to react to a good opponent. Cards can be gained and trashed very quickly.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 07:18:17 am »
+2

I agree with most things said before. Some predictions:
  • This game will not resolve around Provinces or Colonies. Goons just scores more if uncontested, and almost any green gets in the way of the engine too much. Sometimes big green cards are bought as an additional way to score points in Goons games, but this is not the board to do so.
  • The most contested resource will be Cities. They're essential in the big Goons stack, and you also want to play Margraves, Remake, maybe some Moats all game long.
  • At some point somebody will use a governor to activate the Cities mid-turn. Or maybe a Remake mid-turn.
  • The first stack to run out will be Cities itself, and the player having the most will win.
  • Someone activating the Cities to level 3 mid-turn will be the last turn of the game, by depleting Estates as a third pile
The deck you want to end with looks pretty clear, so the main question is how to get there.

Hitting $5 is very important, which makes me look for ways not to open Remake. But no matter how I look, I just can't see it. So I'm going to open Remake/Silver anyway, and just pray I draw some estates with it. Cleaning out the bad cards looks pretty important here. My first $5 is going to be Margrave, after which I want a City. I'd even take a first Margrave over a first Goons if I happen to hit $6 too soon, especially if I managed to get some Estate->Silver going. On an unexpected $7 I might pick up an expand, especially if I have some silvers/estates left to turn into $5/6 cards.

If I have a nice Remake on turn 3/4, I will probably already pick up a first Moat right there. I expect to get attacked almost every turn from turn 6 (5? 7? 8?) on.
I do not like the loan. Sure it could be great, but could also skip over my remake and be horrible. I will be forced to (and want to) play with quite some Silvers soon. So loan gets bad fast. And Remake does a pretty good job of getting rid of coppers anyway. And I *really* want to hit $5.
Join the Dominion League!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 12:15:17 am »

And... attached are the annotations!

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 04:19:23 am »
+1

It might be worth noting somewhere that SB trashes out the copper with the remake before trashing estates, hoping for faster cycling.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 05:02:36 pm »

It might be worth noting somewhere that SB trashes out the copper with the remake before trashing estates, hoping for faster cycling.

Was there a turn where he chose to hit Copper over Estate?  I may have missed it, but it looks to me like they both chose Estate->Silver whenever possible.

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 06:09:36 pm »

Turns 7 and 10 (remaking silver).

CopperrCopper

• Scout
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 01:09:13 pm »

I am having that issue where I can't find the attachment.  Can someone help a noob out?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 01:37:49 pm »

I am having that issue where I can't find the attachment.  Can someone help a noob out?

It doesn't show up properly in Chrome for me, but if you look to the very right of the line that separates the timestamp from the post message, there is a small vertical bar that can be clicked on with the link. At least for me there is.

CopperrCopper

• Scout
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 01:48:43 pm »

thanks, i was using firefox and you have to scroll to the right within the message. 

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 03:00:39 pm »

SB seems to take some really bad shuffle luck here.  I'm referring to missing out on T3/T4 remake, then only hitting one remake on the next reshuffle despite buying another.  I think that's why he makes some 'odd' decisions after that point. 

The last turn is very good forward thinking shown by WW.  It can be very very tempting to just build your engine to a monstrosity, but looking for certain wins whenever you can is a very useful (and necessary) tool.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.