Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card types  (Read 2163 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Card types
« on: September 11, 2011, 09:33:30 pm »

Is it just me, or does it seem to be more or less the case that each expansion focuses on or emphasizes the role of one of the card types, compared to the other expansions?

• Intrigue: has more Victory cards than any other set, and a few cards (Scout, Baron, Duke) that interact specifically with Victory cards.
  • Seaside: introduces Duration cards, and has eight of them.
  • Alchemy: has several cards (Vineyard, University, Scrying Pool, Golem) that interact specifically with Action cards, and lots of +action to play them all.
  • Prosperity: has far more Treasure cards than any other set, and several cards (Loan, Counting House, Mint, Mountebank, Venture, Grand Market, Hoard, Bank) interact specifically with Treasure.
  • Cornucopia: seems to break the pattern, but it does introduce Prize as a new card type.
  • Hinterlands, according to the promotional material, has more Reaction cards than any other set.
So, what do you think? Am I imagining this tendency?

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: Card types
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 10:09:07 pm »

I think the emphasis on card type is an effect of the set themes rather than the theme itself. Intrigue's theme is interaction, so cards that count as two types add to the number of possible interactions. Seaside's theme is the next turn, so duration is intimately linked to the theme. Alchemy's theme is actions and action chains. Prosperity's theme is more powerful/expensive cards. Cornucopia's theme is diversity.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 10:30:16 pm »

I mean, I agree that the emphasis on card types isn't the theme itself (although I disagree with you on what the theme of Intrigue is—it doesn't seem to be "interaction" so much as "cards that do multiple things", which dual-type cards fit well into). It just seemed striking to me that there's one card type that can be pointed to for each expansion; none of the expansion themes so far has led to two expansions emphasizing the <i>same</i> type, for instance.

gf1024

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 05:41:32 am »

Yes, you can somewhat associate card types to expansions. Hinterlands would be reaction not because of the 3 reaction cards included, but the theme is things happening when you buy cards just like introduced with Mint. With two expansions left, question is, what will the feature?

Zaphod

• Thief
  • Do you know where your towel is?
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 02:53:01 pm »

Based on this, perhaps an expansion is in our future centered around really nasty attack cards?

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 03:04:57 pm »

...Or not necessarily "really nasty" attack cards, but variations on the theme of Attack cards, cards that interact with Attack cards—who knows? (Of course "cards that interact with Attack cards" are usually Reaction cards....)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.