Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Courtyard/Venture or Loan  (Read 9422 times)

hughes

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Courtyard/Venture or Loan
« on: September 10, 2011, 11:41:41 am »

Pretty simple but quite effective combo:

Play courtyard with venture or loan in your hand (any card that forces you to find something in your deck would work, so Golem works as well, but requires additional actions).  When courtyard forces you to replace a card on your deck, replace a card that you know will be discarded such as an action that you can't play or a victory card of some sort.  The venture/loan will cause the replaced card to be discarded and therefore streamlining your draws in the future.

That's some good science.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: Courtyard/Venture or Loan
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 12:57:08 pm »

Alternatively, put back a Copper to be trashed by your loan or any treasure card to be played by your Venture in the case that you don't really want to put back any cards.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 01:05:12 pm »

Also works quite well with Apothecary.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 01:55:41 pm »

Also works quite well with Apothecary.
I'm not seeing the combo...the +card from apothecary draws whatever you put back, so you can't get any 'bonus' cards from apothecary....If you do it in the other order, you know what you're going to draw, but that's not that big a benefit?

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 02:10:28 pm »

Apothecary still works. Say I reveal Silver, Estate, Sea Hag, Copper. I take the Copper into my hand. If I want to play the Sea Hag next turn, I put the cards back Estate-Silver-Sea Hag, Venture discards the Estate, and I'm set. If the curses are out, I put the Silver under both Estate and Sea Hag, and Venture discards both.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 03:00:24 pm »

I think the combo suggested was Apothecary/Courtyard, and I too do not see it. If he meant Apothecary/Venture then surely he would have pointed out Scout/Venture and Navigator/Venture too, no?

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 03:17:41 pm »

I think the combo suggested was Apothecary/Courtyard, and I too do not see it. If he meant Apothecary/Venture then surely he would have pointed out Scout/Venture and Navigator/Venture too, no?

Scout/Venture pulls all the green into your hand, which means the only things you can skip over with Venture are actions and curses, so I feel like it might be the worst out of the three. Scout also doesn't have that +1 Card.

Navigator/Venture lets you skip past green and curses, but you might still only be able to hit a copper if that's all you have in your next five cards. It's still terminal though.

Apothecary/Venture is nonterminal, pulls all the copper into your hand (which is usually at least as good as the +2 from Navigator), and also decreases the probability of Venture hitting Copper, because the copper should be in your hand. That's probably why it was worth more of a mention than either of the other two.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 03:27:42 pm »

As I'm reading it, the combo suggested is (something that lets you inspect and rearrange your deck) + (treasure card that hunts for another treasure card). So, Navigator and Scout would also work for the first part of the combo. I think Courtyard is an interesting addition to that list because I normally think of it as Smithy-type card rather than a Scout-type card, and so I appreciated having this combo suggested.

hughes

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 04:53:06 pm »

Alternatively, put back a Copper to be trashed by your loan or any treasure card to be played by your Venture in the case that you don't really want to put back any cards.

Oh yeah, I've used it for this before, I can't believe I forgot to mention it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 20 queries.