Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Alternative to Double-Tac on this board?  (Read 1004 times)

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
Alternative to Double-Tac on this board?
« on: December 26, 2012, 02:28:49 am »
+1

We just finished an IRL game with a deck suggested by Onigame's set generator. We swapped out Black Market for Mystic to make this just slightly less Double-Tac friendly:

Vagrant, University, Philosopher's Stone, Remodel, Mystic, Knight, Royal Seal, Tactician, Laboratory.

I am a sucker for double-Tac, so there really wasn't much option on what I was going to do. I played it pretty badly, and had to end the game on piles (Remodeling a Potion into a Duchy, gaining 3 Vagrants, buying a Duchy and an Estate) just as my double-Tac was starting to take off for a final score of 10 to 9 to 8.

Now, my question for the forum is sort of two parts.
1) is double-Tac the best way to go here? Can it set up fast enough? My gut says it can set up quickly - there are tons of things to help.
2) is there a strong counter in Knights? I have generally avoided Knights as they have typically seemed weak, esp in a 2-p game. However, I was eaten alive by a Warlord bot the other day on Goko who used Knights very effectively to ensure that I never had much of anything interesting in my deck. It felt very similar to be Saboteured into submission. Can you set something up with Lab and maybe Uni to churn out the Knight attacks to ensure that there are no Labs/Tacs/Markets/Mystics in the double-Tac deck? Would such a deck be able to generate enough economy to have the VP necessary to win?
I would suspect that the piles will run very quickly. There isn't good/fast trashing, so you have to compensate by getting more of the cards you need.
I think I am starting to ramble - any thoughts from the forum?
Thanks!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative to Double-Tac on this board?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 04:30:37 am »

Your kingdom list is missing Market, which is pretty essential for your double Tac.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 07:09:41 pm »

Your kingdom list is missing Market, which is pretty essential for your double Tac.

You are right - Market was there, but I missed listing it (note only 9 cards listed in OP).

Is Market clutch? Is it because of the +$ and +card? Could I do okay with a Vagrant/Mystic/Lab combo? How many of the Markets would I need to get in order to be comfortable running the double-Tac?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 07:26:26 pm »

Here's my two cents on setting up this double tactician deck.

Open Potion/Silver

On your first pass through, you will realistically get a University and a Remodel.

You are now on track for getting the double-tact running.  Remodel your Estates/Coppers into Vagrant and maybe 1 more remodel.  Vagrant is essential for this deck because turning Coppers in Cantrip actions allows for the deck to be reliable without as much draw.  Get your two Tacticians with your first 2 University gains.  With your surplus of Vagrants, Mystic is almost strictly superior to Market unless you need the plus buy.  Realistically, you want to build this deck up to double province and then start greening and since Tactician gives you a +Buy, the +Buy from Market is inconsequential. 

As the game Progresses, continue to remodel the starting cards into Vagrant.  Gain Mystic with University and once you start to green, pick up some labs to ensure that your double tactician doesn't fall apart.  I would wager that the double tactician could be set up by Turn 8 and that double Province turns could begin 11/12ish.

I ignored Knights in my answer.  You could certainly pick one up, but you need to make sure that you aren't risking your double tactician engine.  If you opponent goes for Knights, they can't target University so just make sure to replace any relevant engine parts (like your Tactician) if he happens to hit it.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.