Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Another wtf happened?  (Read 1301 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Another wtf happened?
« on: December 25, 2012, 06:22:58 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/25/game-20121225-032007-d9cdf886.html

How come I can't defend my deck with 6 Lighthouses but he can with 4?

How is he drawing so reliably with nothing better than Crossroads?

And shouldn't I reasonably expect to aim for Duchies and a 3-pile with a board this disgusting? How is he able to grab GMs and ramp up to a Province economy?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: Another wtf happened?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 11:42:57 am »
+1

The Lighthouses prevent the decks from getting too junked up by Sea Hag and make the Ghost Ship a lot less threatening. So I don't think the board is too "disgusting". His deck runs considerably smoother than yours because he removes all treasure from it. And once he gets one Grand Market then getting more is much easier.

Crossroads becomes a better draw card whenever you can remove treasure, have another village (FV), and have something to seed your hand with some green cards (here the Ghost Ship and cantrip property of Grand Market).

In general, getting more Lighthouses isn't necessarily the best way to guarantee protection, I'd rather have a deck with 2 Lighthouses that I can play each turn then one with six. I think the aggressive trashing of your opponent let him provide better Lighthouse protection. And of course there's a lot of shuffle randomness involved in this kind of thing as well.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 01:25:21 pm »

The Lighthouses prevent the decks from getting too junked up by Sea Hag and make the Ghost Ship a lot less threatening. So I don't think the board is too "disgusting". His deck runs considerably smoother than yours because he removes all treasure from it. And once he gets one Grand Market then getting more is much easier.

Crossroads becomes a better draw card whenever you can remove treasure, have another village (FV), and have something to seed your hand with some green cards (here the Ghost Ship and cantrip property of Grand Market).

In general, getting more Lighthouses isn't necessarily the best way to guarantee protection, I'd rather have a deck with 2 Lighthouses that I can play each turn then one with six. I think the aggressive trashing of your opponent let him provide better Lighthouse protection. And of course there's a lot of shuffle randomness involved in this kind of thing as well.

I'm a little skeptical. The opponent's extra trashing came from a second spice merchant, which I think is an unwise buy - you would expect to draw it dead in a sea hag game a few times. (Both players bought a first spice merchant around the same time.)

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 10:11:52 pm »
+1

I'm a little skeptical. The opponent's extra trashing came from a second spice merchant, which I think is an unwise buy - you would expect to draw it dead in a sea hag game a few times. (Both players bought a first spice merchant around the same time.)

I'm pretty skeptical too! I can't think of very many times when I've bought two Spice Merchants, but I think any treasure can be considered a dead card in this kind of deck so if adding one Spice Merchant lets you remove 3 or 4 more treasures then it might be worth it. It just looked like one of the places where their deck building diverged so I thought it might be important, but I'm not entirely sure.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 07:53:34 am »

To mind this is a kingdom where you probably want a mountebank rather than a sea hag so there's a question of whether you can risk any delay to get it. But that's difficult to work out so lets instead look at the ghost ship. Fishing villages are lighthouses can be problematical together since your deck can stagnate and not draw fast enough. So here you should pursue either ghost ships+fishing villages or silver+mountebanks and not buy both silver and fishing villages.

The duchy and duchess just seems like a red herring here.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.