Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 34  All

Author Topic: Through the Ages online  (Read 197457 times)

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Through the Ages online
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2013, 09:40:04 am »

My bad, didn't think we were on 12 yet.

*looks at score* I hope you've learnt a bit, it's quite frustrating when the other civ walks all over you, but it has happened to me more often than not.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2013, 09:53:18 am »

*looks at score* I hope you've learnt a bit, it's quite frustrating when the other civ walks all over you, but it has happened to me more often than not.

I don't think it was as bad as the score looks. I felt like I was doing well up until age 3, and then one aggression just destroyed my military and I fell apart after that. I should have resigned, but I played it out as there was only 1 age left and I wanted to see what there was and just play about a bit since it was my first real game. The fact that I stayed in the game to play it out allowed the scores to become what they did.

But yeah, I did learn a bit. I thought I understood the whole "don't get left behind in military" thing, and I did try. My military tactics just weren't enough and my lack of diversifying from soldiers for my army meant I was unable to play new tactics in later rounds. I've definitely taken the value of other units away from that game. (My reasoning in that game was "well they cost the same and give the same strength, but I already have soldiers so I can upgrade them for cheaper than buying a whole new type of unit", little did I know the true value of your units comes from the tactics cards, not the units themselves.)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:54:56 am by Thisisnotasmile »

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2013, 09:56:26 am »
+1

I don't think it was as bad as the score looks. I felt like I was doing well up until age 3, and then one aggression just destroyed my military and I fell apart after that. I should have resigned, but I played it out as there was only 1 age left and I wanted to see what there was and just play about a bit since it was my first real game. The fact that I stayed in the game to play it out allowed the scores to become what they did.

But yeah, I did learn a bit. I thought I understood the whole "don't get left behind in military" thing, and I did try. My military tactics just weren't enough and my lack of diversifying from soldiers for my army meant I was unable to play new tactics in later rounds. I've definitely taken the value of other units away from that game. (My reasoning in that game was "well they cost the same and give the same strength, but I already have soldiers so I can upgrade them for cheaper than buying a whole new type of unit")

I agree that it was much closer. You probably shouldn't have defended the aggression because that gave me an open door for the war. You did pretty well otherwise. Military is pretty important in two-player games as I can put pressure on you without having to fear that another player gets benefit from it.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2013, 10:05:04 am »

Oh, and I've also made f.DStrategy 14 (Dominion). 2 player again, hoping to get better at this game soon because I've got a 2 player IRL game organised for Saturday with a TTA veteran.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2013, 10:13:09 am »

Oh, and I've also made f.DStrategy 14 (Dominion). 2 player again, hoping to get better at this game soon because I've got a 2 player IRL game organised for Saturday with a TTA veteran.

/in

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2013, 07:21:15 pm »

All my current BGO games seem to be going wrong :(. I've developed a slight intuition for what I tend to see, but I always seem to currently be unable to get things I need.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2013, 07:24:10 pm »

All my current BGO games seem to be going wrong :(. I've developed a slight intuition for what I tend to see, but I always seem to currently be unable to get things I need.

I'm confused. I expect you to win Game 11 at the current state.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2013, 07:26:45 pm »

Dude, I have Napoleon and I'm losing military.

Well, not quite losing, but hardly winning. And my military draws have been pretty bad.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2013, 07:55:22 pm »

Pretty certain you're doing all right against me. :)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2013, 03:40:18 am »

But yeah, I did learn a bit. I thought I understood the whole "don't get left behind in military" thing, and I did try. My military tactics just weren't enough and my lack of diversifying from soldiers for my army meant I was unable to play new tactics in later rounds. I've definitely taken the value of other units away from that game. (My reasoning in that game was "well they cost the same and give the same strength, but I already have soldiers so I can upgrade them for cheaper than buying a whole new type of unit", little did I know the true value of your units comes from the tactics cards, not the units themselves.)
*gets raided by TINAS* Yeah, you seem to have learnt that bit. Thought I could try some opening strategy out against a beginner, not a good idea.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2013, 09:55:41 am »

Games 15+16 created. One 3p global, one 2p normal. Dominion is the password, as normal.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2013, 02:56:50 pm »
+1

For Tables:

From the Spanish Edition:

Actions:

Falles (Age II): Remove a card from the card row. When you play Falles, you get 1 civil action back.
La Porxada (Age II): Pay 2 Food to Produce 4 Resources, or pay 2 Resources to Produce 4 Food.

Wonders:

Sagrada Familia (Age III): Cost: 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4...4
Sagrada Familia has unlimited steps. At the end of the game, you score 4 culture for each step built.

Leaders:

El Cid (Age I): Military unit technologies cost you 2 science less. While all players have a higher strength than yours, your military units cost you 1 resource less.
John Amos Comenius (Age II): Special technologies costs you less science equal to their level. Your libraries produce an extra 1 science or an extra 1 culture (your choice).
Santiago Ramón y Cajal (Age III): One of your best library produces double culture and science. Your libraries cost you 2 resource less to build.

Events:

Inquisition (Age II): Each civilization scores 1 culture per level of each of their temples. The urban building limit for labs and libraries is reduced by 1 for each player until the active players next political phase. Players must immediately destroy any exceeding urban building.
Impact of Politicians (Age III): Each civilization loses 2 culture for each empty slot on its blue bank.

Tactics:

Tercios (Age II): Infantry x3 = 5(2)

All of these are cards that are added as listed by BGO's Civilopedia in the GLOBAL version, but come from the Spanish. I'm not sure atm if there are more cards in the Spanish version that are not included in the Global - and I know for a fact that the Spanish version has some changes to current cards that are NOT carried over to the Global (for example, in the Spanish Version Hammurabi gives an additional CA while making Military Units cost 1 more). I'm not sure what that complete list of changes is.

Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 01, 2013, 03:51:47 pm »

Thanks. Don't know why I can't check the civilopedia currently. Kinda annoying, might try opening BGO in Firefox or something. Regarding Hammurabi, I saw a poll on the forum for which version should be kept in the Golbal version (posted by the webmaster), the overwhelming response was to use the spanish version.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2013, 12:44:01 am »

Sagrada Familia (Age III): Cost: 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4...4
Sagrada Familia has unlimited steps. At the end of the game, you score 4 culture for each step built.

Impact of Politicians (Age III): Each civilization loses 2 culture for each empty slot on its blue bank.

Sounds as if politicians don't like Goudy.

Nevermind, I put up f.DStrategy 17, a three-player match in the Spanish variety. I'll be at home over the weekend (GMT + 1h) quite a lot and would like to nearly complete the match over the weekend.

Password as usual.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2013, 02:01:04 am »

I'd be up for the Spanish version. I will be around this weekend but not 100%, so I'll leave it alone for now. If I see that there's still an opening,  I'll hop in. Odds are likely that if you can't fill the game up soon, then it's not going to finish this weekend anyway.
A man has no signature

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2013, 02:02:35 am »

Galzria has joined, which means a match across nine time zones. Not so optimistic about a fast game anymore so you might as well join, the more so as I will have some dead hours (household chores, kids) too.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 02:06:01 am by ipofanes »

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2013, 10:29:48 am »

YOINK

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2013, 11:06:51 am »
+1

Galzria has joined, which means a match across nine time zones. Not so optimistic about a fast game anymore so you might as well join, the more so as I will have some dead hours (household chores, kids) too.

Take a peek at my "time online" on these boards, and you'll have no concerns about time-zone differences. :P

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2013, 11:11:48 am »

Don't you do this sleeping thing Galz?

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2013, 11:14:45 am »

Don't you do this sleeping thing Galz?

Uhhhhhh

Mafia Record:

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2013, 01:29:51 pm »

My schedule gets pretty whacky as well. Depending on when in the week it is you could get me doing things as early as 8am and as late as 4am. And in the holidays, even that 4-8am shift might get covered.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2013, 03:54:06 pm »

Santiago Ramón y Cajal (Age III): One of your best library produces double culture and science. Your libraries cost you 2 resource less to build.

I never would have expected to see this name in a board game.  That is awesome.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2013, 05:41:11 pm »

18 is up, 4-player, usual PW.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2013, 05:42:14 pm »

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2013, 11:09:27 am »

(f.DStrategy 10:)

See, Tables, it does not pay when you try not to be too hard on the beginners. Soon you are on the receiving end of a Raid II.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 34  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.