Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34  All

Author Topic: Through the Ages online  (Read 196813 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Through the Ages online
« on: December 24, 2012, 11:42:53 am »

Starting a new topic based on discussion elsewhere.

If you have a hard time finding the time to play a full game of Through the Ages (or you want to see what all the hoopla is about), there is a web site where you can play the game: http://www.boardgaming-online.com/index.php?cnt=1

As far as I can tell,  it's designed to handle a game over the course of days/weeks/months. Hell, if everyone is online at the same time, I suppose you could complete a game within a day.

The interface is not 100% intuitive or really even documented. For that reason, it's been suggested that you play a game with yourself first so you can get used to the interface before diving into other games. It does help. You create a game and then add other players, only the other players are yourself. So, you can have a game with four players all named the same. It can get a little confusing, but the interface also designates by color, so it's all good.

I still like the online forum because I can access it with my phone, and I'm not always working on a computer where I should have nontext elements; this forum is stretching it. However, I can play on BGO at home as well and get my TtA fix.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
Re: Through the Ages online
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 12:13:46 pm »

I'm thinking I might join a game or two on there. I notice Galzria appears to be about to start a game.

Okay I'm starting a game for anyone from here who wants to join. Password is DominionStrategy. I'll set it to 3 player to be optimistic but not too optimistic. If anyone wants help with rules etc. I can probably help (but I've been known to get things wrong, in the game I'm moderating...)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:20:40 pm by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 12:47:45 pm »

I'm thinking I might join a game or two on there. I notice Galzria appears to be about to start a game.

Okay I'm starting a game for anyone from here who wants to join. Password is DominionStrategy. I'll set it to 3 player to be optimistic but not too optimistic. If anyone wants help with rules etc. I can probably help (but I've been known to get things wrong, in the game I'm moderating...)

Yeah, I've been fiddling with the setup, trying to get a feel for it. It's a bit difficult to follow, and it really helps to know the cards. But it's not impossible. Military/Political Actions seem the hardest to wrap my head around on the site.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 12:51:01 pm »

Any idea what the best way to delete games that I'm in and no longer want to be? (I've got two self-filled games that I would rather not have on my list anymore, and I can't figure out how to resign/leave)

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 12:55:18 pm »

No idea here, I'm afraid. I'm tempted to say if you start the game, there should be an option to resign for each player's turn.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 01:54:13 pm »

Do you have the game ID?

Found it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:56:10 pm by Kuildeous »
A man has no signature

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 10:42:40 pm »

I've got another set up. Open for two more - 4 total:

ID: 150252

Name: DominionStrategy

PW: DominionStrategy1

Mafia Record:

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 01:52:29 am »

I wish it could send e-mail or something when it's my turn. I have to constantly check back, which is fruitless if nobody has made a move lately.

So, for that, I am appreciative of the forum format. At least when TtAI starts back up again, I'll receive notification.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 06:49:25 am »

Maybe I shouldn't have joined that game Galz made. Now us three are in two games...

Yeah, I was disappointed there isn't email notifications. I pressed the button to turn them on, but it looks like it's for something else.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 02:33:56 pm »
+1

I just want to follow this thread, I'm too busy to play more games right now, but I will probably eventually.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 09:18:21 am »

Can you provide links to the games for watching?

Also, as mentioned somewhere else, I'm in for a game in about 2 weeks.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 12:28:02 pm »

They do.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 01:39:40 pm »

Great, now my horrible gameplay is open to all to laugh at…especially my mistaken Promise of Military Protection.

Don't judge!
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 01:45:45 pm »

I dunno... I'm terrified you're both not going to play aggressions against each other, and leave me in the dust :(. Then again, it is beneficial for both of you to target aggressions against the other in a pact, so... I dunno

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 01:49:47 pm »
+1

I find the lack of banter to be a major drawback of the site. It's not that the Chat function is difficult to use, but it feels like an extra step. Especially compared to the PBF format.

That, and I generally don't take the time to click through and look back at each of your turns, so I rarely know what's going on outside my Civilization. (Except to note that both the Irons were taken on me... Again.)

Mafia Record:

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 01:53:08 pm »

I've been reading a little TtA theory, saying Iron is overrated. And I can see where they're coming from. Sure, resource production might be vital in just about every strategy, but Iron itself is expensive (5 science is more expensive than any age I tech except peaceful change of government and Code of Laws, AND it's 5 resources, less efficient than Bronze). You just need to be a little more clever, because you can't just stick 5-6 guys onto Bronze and expect to have no problems whatsoever.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 01:55:18 pm »

Yeah, I agree. I like bantering. I am grateful for the Chat feature, but it doesn't seem to be first and foremost in my mind.

And yeah, I don't follow the journal either. I'm in three different games right now. When I begin my turn (or make a decision based on someone else's turn), it feels almost like I'm starting in the middle of some board game. I don't quite have the same connection to my past history and definitely not the past histories of others. I'm playing one game where I watched these other players shoot up to the 20s in terms of military while I'm lagging behind. It's always a surprise to me when I hover over their names and go, "How did he get so high?"
A man has no signature

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 01:56:31 pm »

I've been reading a little TtA theory, saying Iron is overrated. And I can see where they're coming from. Sure, resource production might be vital in just about every strategy, but Iron itself is expensive (5 science is more expensive than any age I tech except peaceful change of government and Code of Laws, AND it's 5 resources, less efficient than Bronze). You just need to be a little more clever, because you can't just stick 5-6 guys onto Bronze and expect to have no problems whatsoever.

Yeah, I played a solo game running high-happiness, with lots of farms/bronze. It's doable, but very touchy. Leaves you strong in the switch to Age 3 though since your people are in place already.

Mafia Record:

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 02:03:05 pm »

The big advantage of bgo over forum play is that you don't have to have a mod who you have to wait for, and who can make mistakes, I guess.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 02:08:38 pm »

I played around on my solo games and found myself being better able to manage resources even without Iron.

I still think that it's damned handy, but I can believe that it's overrated. What could you do in place of the action used to discover Iron and upgrade one mine to gain 1 Resource/turn in Age I and beyond?

Take and play Engineering Genius to gain 3-5 Resources
Take and play Mineral Deposits to gain 2-4 Resources
Take and play Ideal Building Site to gain 2-4 Resources
Take and play Patriotism to gain 2-4 Resources
Discover Masonry and gain 1 Resource/urban building built
Discover Architecture and gain even more Resources for urban buildings built

I guess it depends on opportunity. Getting it early in Age I is of a great benefit, because that 1 Resource/turn easily earns you double-digits. It's still pretty handy at the end of Age I, but I could see how someone may want to save his Science for Coal.

Part of the game is also card management. I've gotten caught up in taking technology cards, but they do no good if your Science isn't strong. The action cards can help you out with those.

I do get a little annoyed at how I feel like I'm falling backward when upgrading mines. I spend 3 to upgrade. I then gain 1 extra. So, I net -2 Resources every time I upgrade a mine. I won't see that investment again for another 2 turns. In the meantime, I could have built a Lab or more military or completed my Basilica.

I may have to read up on some of these theories. It'll drive my wife nuts. She already doesn't like that I've improved my understanding of the game by playing it online.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 02:10:20 pm »

Yeah, I agree with you Watno. It feels a little less personal though. I'd like the chat to be slightly more active, oh well.

Incidentally, Kuildeous, I think it's your turn in both the games I'm in.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 02:13:21 pm »

The big advantage of bgo over forum play is that you don't have to have a mod who you have to wait for, and who can make mistakes, I guess.

This is verging on the absurd here, but I suppose the mod could create a solo game of his own on BGO and run the game from there. That way, the mod cannot make mistakes because the system won't let him. When that happens, he goes back to the forum and says, "Oh, hey, that doesn't work because you need 7 Resources to pull that off, and you only have 6."

Why wouldn't those players go to BGO instead? Well, like I said, I like the forum for chatting and e-mail notifications. I'm willing to endure moderator delays as long as the moderator has the time to keep on top of things. I suspect that most of us in the forum games are obsessive enough about games that we have no problem there. The forum and spreadsheet format works better for me 24 hours a day, rather than when I'm only on my desktop.

But, I don't see a problem with a mod using BGO to run the game. It's all randomized for him and everything.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 02:14:32 pm »

Incidentally, Kuildeous, I think it's your turn in both the games I'm in.

I'm sure that's true, but I won't be logging into that until I get home. Another downside to BGO for me. I have to be less obsessive with that site than the forum.

But I'll play my moves in a couple of hours.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 02:38:16 pm »

This is verging on the absurd here, but I suppose the mod could create a solo game of his own on BGO and run the game from there. That way, the mod cannot make mistakes because the system won't let him. When that happens, he goes back to the forum and says, "Oh, hey, that doesn't work because you need 7 Resources to pull that off, and you only have 6."

Why wouldn't those players go to BGO instead? Well, like I said, I like the forum for chatting and e-mail notifications. I'm willing to endure moderator delays as long as the moderator has the time to keep on top of things. I suspect that most of us in the forum games are obsessive enough about games that we have no problem there. The forum and spreadsheet format works better for me 24 hours a day, rather than when I'm only on my desktop.

But, I don't see a problem with a mod using BGO to run the game. It's all randomized for him and everything.

If I had the knowledge to write some short script to scrap information from a BGO page and convert it into an easy to use text output, I would love to do that. It has the secondary benefit of the mod not knowing what's coming next either.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.