Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Third-time player wins  (Read 2578 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
Third-time player wins
« on: December 24, 2012, 01:57:57 am »

We have a foreign exchange student at my family's house, so he doesn't know English very well.  He would see me and my family playing Dominion, we would ask him if he wanted to play, he said that "it was impossible for him to learn the game."  One time he finally decided to play, we played the first game set (with other first-timers) and he got second place.  Later we play with the Big Money set, he had already caught on to (kind of) the importance of trashing, so he kept his own against us with our chapels.

Then, on his third game, completely on his own, he went for a festival/council room engine (with a militia to make us discard all of our cards we got from the council rooms he played) and completely crushed us.  He even bought three provinces on one turn.  Has this ever happened before?

Also, as for how good at the game I am, while I'm not the best at the game, I'm still fairly good (my low isotropic level is from not playing that much, I like playing irl better).  He shot up in skill fast.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Third-time player wins
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 02:05:25 am »

We have a foreign exchange student at my family's house, so he doesn't know English very well.  He would see me and my family playing Dominion, we would ask him if he wanted to play, he said that "it was impossible for him to learn the game."  One time he finally decided to play, we played the first game set (with other first-timers) and he got second place.  Later we play with the Big Money set, he had already caught on to (kind of) the importance of trashing, so he kept his own against us with our chapels.

Then, on his third game, completely on his own, he went for a festival/council room engine (with a militia to make us discard all of our cards we got from the council rooms he played) and completely crushed us.  He even bought three provinces on one turn.  Has this ever happened before?

Also, as for how good at the game I am, while I'm not the best at the game, I'm still fairly good (my low isotropic level is from not playing that much, I like playing irl better).  He shot up in skill fast.

What country is he from. I have played Japanese people before and they catch on to almost any game fast.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 08:29:32 am »
+8

Is his name Marin and has he played other pranks on you before?
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Mecherath

• Baron
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 09:13:12 am »

The plural of anecdote is not data, but I've got a Korean friend who destroys me in almost every game we play.  He's not a jerk about it though, and he's one of the people who will play more complicated games with me, so it's all good. :)

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 10:32:54 am »

Some people are really good at learning games quickly.

Myself, I tend to get there via study and practise. I'm probably the best Dominion player in our group, but that's because of endless play on isotropic and much studying of dominionstrategy.com.

In contrast, a friend of mine started playing the game a few months back, and by his third game he was the second best player in the group. He knew I was the best player, so he watched what I did, asked questions, and then got a feel for the strategy of the game very quickly. I can still beat him most of the time, but he can beat anyone else in the group most of the time as well.

Mecherath

• Baron
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 10:55:27 am »

I learn rules quickly, but the skill takes a lot longer to sink in.  Partly becuase I like the learning portion more, I'm always switching to my newest games rather than getting good at the old ones. :)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 03:13:41 pm »

What country is he from. I have played Japanese people before and they catch on to almost any game fast.

Somewhere in South America, Brazil I think...  I can't quite remember.   :P

Is his name Marin and has he played other pranks on you before?

No to both.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 10:00:31 am »

Sounds like an awesome opponent to have. You can start up games with him and not feel guilty about trouncing him because he'll come back in a future game.

I always hate crushing the opposition in a game that I know which is new to that person. I also hate playing suboptimally, but I'll do that sometimes to not discourage the person.

I've known a couple of people who can pick up games that quickly. One of them I would normally love to play against, but he also tends to be a jerk about winning, so nobody plays him.
A man has no signature
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.