Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: crazy Goons game  (Read 724 times)

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
crazy Goons game
« on: December 23, 2012, 09:04:26 am »
+2

I just played a pretty weird Goons game, maybe the weirdest one I've played yet. The set was randomly generated by iso, but I would have easily believed someone claiming this was his kingdom design contest entry.

Colony, Goons, Inn, Jack of All Trades, Masquerade, Mint, Monument, Oracle, Platinum, Rabble, Remake, and Scheme.

With only Inn generating actions, rabble wasn't going to give you enough cards to play a really big goons turn. Schemes were gone instantly, so after the inns run out 3-pile ending is constantly luring; too early for setting up a real megaturn. But maybe just maybe Jack could handle that better? I decided to give it a try. So no real power-goons scoring a zillion points in a single turn, but with 1-3 goons in play every turn in a very long game it adds up. To clean up after Jacks silver trail, mint could get them all at once, or maybe masq & remake can help out? Masq after Goons is good almost always.

My opponent played a more money-centered strategy with goons for extra points and discard attacks, getting 5-0 colonies lead in the end. I scored almost all my points from goons.
Anyway... this game went really long. I bought coppers for points for the first time on turn 18. And the game would go on for 12 more turns after that, only ending due to jack running out the silvers (!).

here is the game log.

In hindsight I wasn't too happy with my start; I fell behind pretty quickly. The opening of scheme/jack could have worked here very well, but the I really shouldn't have added remake later on. Either get a remake turn 1, or don't get it at all, but what I did here was just refusing to choose and that in general is a bad plan in Dominion.

Still, it was a great game to play. I miscounted the score (why oh why do I have to play a game like this without the point counter? ;)) and we both were so dazzled at the end that neither of us noticed the silvers running low until my final jack put a big red cross on them.
Join the Dominion League!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 20 queries.