Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ankh-Morpork  (Read 1810 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Ankh-Morpork
« on: December 23, 2012, 12:42:35 am »
+1

Got this for my birthday.  It was fairly fun.  Has anyone else played this?

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/91312/discworld-ankh-morpork
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Ankh-Morpork
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 01:54:44 am »

Played it a while back.  It was... eh, it was thematic, which is the best I could say for it.  The game mechanics were far too random, surprisingly for Martin Wallace; even more random than London.  I'm surprised to see it with a 7.1 rating, though again that might be the thematic...ness... of it.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 08:17:22 am »

Someone brought it to a games night, and it was wholly inoffensive.  It's not something I'd seek out, but I'd play it if there was nothing else.  Apparently all previous Discworld adaptations have been terrible, so some of the positive reaction might be "wow, this isn't as bad as I thought it would be".

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 10:24:17 am »

I played it once, and managed to narrowly get a win at the last minute. I can't say I'd be interested in playing again, very random, and an awful lot of 'get the person who might be able to win' gameplay.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 12:06:53 pm »
+1

See, while Donald X tries to avoid political gaming at all costs, I enjoy it.  I like games like Pit or whatever where you're trying to figure out who has what, and using temporary alliances to put yourself on top.  As long as everyone's aware that it's all for fun, and no hard feelings are intended, I quite enjoy games like that.

And I also love the Discworld series, so seeing each character as the cards are turned over gives me a warm glow inside.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 05:22:19 pm »

I played it once. Cards are the main mechanic and they are quite random. And game end was so unsatisfactory:

We were I think.. 3 or 4 players. One guy was obviously the one that needs X amount of money in cash and real-estates to win. He just bought real estates was broke with cash, I played some card that cause that mayhem event, which turned out to destroy all real-estates unless you pay X money for each, he got destroyed.

And than, he got lucky, draw/had a card that let him switch character (for also a random one) and got the one that wins if nobody does until the deck runs out - I was so ahead of everybody and uncatchable, deck ran out, he won.

Bleeeeh.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 09:47:24 am by Grujah »

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 06:13:46 am »

the one that wins nobody does until the deck runs out
That's something else that's worth mentioning.  That was my character (Vimes) in the only game I've played, and I won.  Since the number of cards doesn't scale with the number of players, and the other players have to hold their victory conditions against opponents who are trying to wreck them, I expect that Vimes will win most games with 4 players.  So it might degenerate fairly quickly.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.