Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11  All

Author Topic: Why aren't *you* playing on Goko?  (Read 80475 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Why aren't *you* playing on Goko?
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2012, 11:59:37 am »
+1

That value is further reduced by the fact that much of the sets aren't available yet.

I don't know if you've been keeping up (and it's cool if you haven't), but Goko has everything except half of Hinterlands, Alchemy, and two of the promos implemented and playable right now. There are a few bugs, but most only matter in obscure corner cases, and I have faith that even those will be fixed. Goko's been pretty responsive when it comes to fixing bugs and implementing features.

I understand that the main thrust of your post is that you don't want to pay for a service that may not be around in a year, but the irony is that if you buy into it, it's that much more likely to be around. For what it's worth, I play all my online Dominion there and enjoy it immensely. I haven't logged onto isotropic for months.

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2012, 12:04:46 pm »

Thanks!  I wasn't aware of that.  And I do appreciate the irony that by not buying, I contribute to the risk that Goko won't be around for the long haul.  :-)

Having access to Cornucopia may be the last nudge needed to get me over the line between purchasing and not. 

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2012, 12:21:58 pm »
+2

And hey, even if Goko does go away in a year (for the sake of RGG, I hope not), is a $40 expenditure for a year of entertainment a worthy endeavor?

For $40, I can see three or four first-run movies, depending if I splurge on 3D or IMAX. If I go cheap, I can see eight matinees (not manatees).

And yeah, it's true that Goko needs our support to keep their servers running. Relying on people to play the base game won't be enough for them. And we all know how much the aborted release in August hurt their credibility.
A man has no signature

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2012, 12:48:19 pm »
+1

That value is further reduced by the fact that much of the sets aren't available yet.

I don't know if you've been keeping up (and it's cool if you haven't), but Goko has everything except half of Hinterlands, Alchemy, and two of the promos implemented and playable right now. There are a few bugs, but most only matter in obscure corner cases, and I have faith that even those will be fixed. Goko's been pretty responsive when it comes to fixing bugs and implementing features.

I understand that the main thrust of your post is that you don't want to pay for a service that may not be around in a year, but the irony is that if you buy into it, it's that much more likely to be around. For what it's worth, I play all my online Dominion there and enjoy it immensely. I haven't logged onto isotropic for months.

Hear hear.  I noticed yesterday they fixed one of the Diadem bugs - the top numbers now show how much coin Diadem is producing for you this turn.  However, it's still listed as a Treasure, instead of a Treasure-Prize.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2012, 01:26:52 pm »

Because for 4 days they are undergoing routine maintainance.

Clear your cache.

This is actually one thing that gets me.  Never in the last ten years (likely more) have I had a website tell me to clear my browser cache to make their website work.

You have clrealy never had to phone up a tech support line then...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Mecherath

• Baron
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2012, 02:19:15 pm »

That's the first thing we tell our customers, if there is a problem that one user is having, but nobody else is.  The bosses don't always like it, but it works most of the time. :)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2012, 04:00:48 pm »

Because for 4 days they are undergoing routine maintainance.

Clear your cache.

This is actually one thing that gets me.  Never in the last ten years (likely more) have I had a website tell me to clear my browser cache to make their website work.

You have clrealy never had to phone up a tech support line then...

Not for a website, no.  Actually very rarely, and then almost always for hardware.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2012, 09:09:11 pm »
+1

For $40, I can see three or four first-run movies, depending if I splurge on 3D or IMAX. If I go cheap, I can see eight matinees (not manatees).

Do note that 40$ is not the same in US and elsewhere.

for 40$, I can see 10 movies, or 8 in 3D, for example. (Counting evening, new movie, good cinema). If I go cheap I can see.. 14 I guess.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2012, 11:36:04 pm »
+2

for 40$, I can see 10 movies, or 8 in 3D, for example. (Counting evening, new movie, good cinema). If I go cheap I can see.. 14 I guess.

Where the hell are you, Cambodia?  $40 in the USA would almost buy 4 movies, but not quite.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2012, 11:48:26 pm »

40$ would buy you less than 3 non-3D movies in Finland.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2012, 12:06:45 am »

Where the hell are you, Cambodia?  $40 in the USA would almost buy 4 movies, but not quite.

IIRC, he is in Slovakia.  Or Slovenia?  I feel terrible getting them mixed up because the people, places, and languages are nothing alike.  Then again, it's possible Europeans wouldn't understand the difference between an Iowan and an Ohioan...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2012, 12:49:08 am »

I live in California and non 3D ticket prices are around $12 each but their is a cheap theater where I can see matinees for $5. I spend anywhere from $5 to $18 to see a movie. What determines the amount I spend is whether or not I am that interested in it. If I am not that interested in it, I will see it in the cheap theater. If it is something I'm really looking forward to like I was The Dark Knight Rises then I will pay big bucks and see it in IMAX for $18. So, essentially two IMAX tickets pays for the cost of all the Dominion expansions online, at least where I live.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2012, 02:27:18 am »

I'm in Portland Oregon and saw the Hobbit the other day for $5.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2012, 09:56:57 am »

I was able to watch the Hobbit for $5 also. Matinees for the win!

But anyway, my point is that if Goko does go under in a year, then $40 for a year's worth of entertainment is not terrible. And if we can keep Goko afloat, then the entertainment dollar goes even farther.

Of course, the flipside is that if Goko folds in a month, then you're kind of shafted there.
A man has no signature

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2012, 11:37:33 am »

Hear hear.  I noticed yesterday they fixed one of the Diadem bugs - the top numbers now show how much coin Diadem is producing for you this turn.  However, it's still listed as a Treasure, instead of a Treasure-Prize.

Wait, how can you gain Diadem with Tournament, if it's not a Prize? Did they really just hard code the list of names for Tournament, instead of making use of the subtype?

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2012, 01:25:27 pm »

You fine folks convinced me to stop being a cheapskate, and I bought the mega pack last night.  Good times, though I'm still annoyed that I have extra owl coins.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2012, 01:29:10 pm »

You fine folks convinced me to stop being a cheapskate, and I bought the mega pack last night.  Good times, though I'm still annoyed that I have extra owl coins.

You'll need em for Guilds
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2012, 02:27:05 pm »

I was able to watch the Hobbit for $5 also. Matinees for the win!

And I can play all the Goko sets for free -- if I wait in the multiplayer lobby for someone who has purchased all of them to set up a game to join.

You can get stuff cheap if you are willing to be inconvenienced....

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2012, 02:54:05 pm »
+1

Haven't replied here, but I *AM* playing on Goko I haven't played on ISO at all since Goko had all of dark ages except for DS champs (and a few games before the champs to get a level)
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2012, 12:28:34 am »

Ugh, case in point. I decided to finally play some more multiplayer on goko.

First game, it's nearing the endgame, and the game crashes saying "Unknown has quit" and it counts as a loss for me and I lose rating points. I was winning, too...

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2012, 12:41:00 am »

Ugh, case in point. I decided to finally play some more multiplayer on goko.

First game, it's nearing the endgame, and the game crashes saying "Unknown has quit" and it counts as a loss for me and I lose rating points. I was winning, too...

The "unknown has quit" is to the best of my knowledge caused by people trying to enter a game in progress that was not set to "request to join." However, losing points to a match that has crashed is a new concept because before no one's rating would be affected. Even though it sucks to have lost points, this is actually a move in the right direction for Goko because it probably means people can no longer take advantage of refershing their browsers to crash the game and not having it count as a game loss. Obviously, the system is still not perfect, but it seems like a step in the right direction.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2012, 10:30:16 am »
+1

So Tanya has replied to one of the threads on getsatisfaction.

Priorities are:
-Rest of Hinterlands and Alchemy
-Card randomizer
-Meeting room redesign
-Adventures

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2012, 01:25:44 pm »

-Meeting room redesign

I really hope they remove the 50-player cap on the rooms... given that that cap includes people who are playing games, and not just those waiting.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2012, 03:18:01 pm »
+3

What would be nice is if they had ranked meeting rooms for Pro play, and unranked rooms for Casual play, and then just rooms where you can meet friends.  So, say, King's Court, Embassy and Counting House could all be three tiers of Pro play, and then you could have Hovel, Poor House and Tunnel for Casual play, and then Oasis, Inn, and Secret Chamber for meeting friends in.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2012, 07:41:31 pm »
+2

I just started playing on Goko, and holy shit is there a massive memory leak. I thought it was bad when a Goko tab exploded Firefox's RAM usage by 400MB... then I switched to Chrome, where it quickly hit 800... and an extra 800 in the empty tab that had never visited Goko.

1.6 GB of RAM for A SINGLE WEB INTERFACE. I have never seen another webpage (or even program!) use that much memory.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.