Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11  All

Author Topic: Why aren't *you* playing on Goko?  (Read 80495 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Why aren't *you* playing on Goko?
« on: December 22, 2012, 10:29:24 pm »
+2

So, it's 22:15 EST.

On Isotropic, there are 145 games running (over 300 people playing) with about 50-60 people in the lobby.  About 360 people total online.
On Goko, there are 15 games running (just over 30 playing) and not quite 30 in the lobby.  About 60 people total online.

Now, I know why I'm not playing on Goko--though as more sets appear there, the problem of missing cards starts to be less of a problem than the almost total inability to find games.  But I'm interested to know what's preventing other people from going over to Goko, and what the tipping point is.

So, post your thoughts, if you like.  I think I've set this up to allow multiple choices.

Edit: Clarification as per Donald below:  There are a lot of people, apparently, playing solo; the question then becomes, why aren't you playing multiplayer?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 11:02:59 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: Why aren't *you* playing on Goko?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 10:44:26 pm »
+1

On Goko, there are 15 games running (just over 30 playing) and not quite 30 in the lobby.  About 60 people total online.
And how many playing campaigns?

I am told that more people are playing outside of the lobby than in it.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 10:55:36 pm »

I do play on goko, but mostly adventures/vs bots. I keep meaning to start playing vs people, but never really get around to it.

Lack of matchmaking mostly. I want a single "find me a game" click, and hopefully to find one matched to me by skill, so I'm not beating up on newbs (or stressing out about losing ranking if a newb opens Mountebank/Chapel on me). And so I don't have to create a game and wait for someone to join. I want
1) An automatch
2) preferably, an automatch that automatically looks for somebody close to you in ranking.

Missing cards isn't an issue anymore - as someone pointed out recently, Goko now has as many cards as Isotropic does. (Missing 2/3 of hinterlands and alchemy, whereas Iso is missing Dark Ages, which is huge. And I like Dark Ages more than Hinterlands and Alchemy anyway.) I did recently buy all the goko sets.

Also, my last memory of playing-someone-on-Goko was playing a few games with someone a bit back and having it freeze on me. That just kills interest. I think they've fixed that particular freezing bug (it was with Watchtower) but the bug reports tell me there are other ones which crop up. Yeah, it's a beta, it's ok, but still, it doesn't fill me with a desire to start playing lots of games vs humans if they'll randomly crash on me. It's ok against a computer, I just refresh and try again... but it is true that basically whenever I play the campaigns, the day will end with some sort of crash or freeze or game-becomes-slow and I'll be like okay, I guess that's my signal to stop Dominioning for the moment.

Oh, and it gets slower after a bunch games on firefox... they say it's better in firefox 18 beta, but I'm not installing a new web browser manually for them, especially not a beta. I'm lazy, I'll wind up on firefox 18 when ubuntu automatically upgrades me, probably a bit after it leaves beta  :/ 

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 10:55:41 pm »

Yeah, I have been playing Adventure mode a lot personally.  The newer ones that are less zap-intensive have been a lot of fun.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 11:01:59 pm »

And how many playing campaigns?

I am told that more people are playing outside of the lobby than in it.

An interesting point, though one could reasonably suggest that these are two different populations anyway--people who are playing vs. bots aren't going to hang around Isotropic anyway.

Perhaps this should instead read "Why aren't you playing *multiplayer* Dominion on Goko?"
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 11:02:45 pm »

I'm done with adventures for now. I have two promos, so I am happy. I am glad that most the adventures are less zap intensive now. If I do get around to the Seaside and Prosperity adventures, I will probably load up on zaps and give myself hands with a bunch of silvers. I did take their advice and upgraded my browser to Chrome 24 beta. That was worked tremendously better for me. I can now play game after game after game without it slowing down which amazes me because of the lag problems in the past.

For me, the biggest issue I have are the minor bugs, interface which makes accidental misclicks too easy, and some interface issues like Young Witch games having one kingdom card on another screen. Also, making promos really hard to get is an issue for me. It was a grind getting Governor and Envoy.

Goko is getting better. And, now, I am quite pleased with the card selection. We are missing half of Hinterlands and Alchemy, but that isn't that big of deal in exchange to have DA in its place.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 11:14:00 pm »
+3

Security awareness and concern. Rather, lack thereof.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 11:32:45 pm »
+1

I actually have been playing on Goko.  <.<
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 11:33:30 pm »

All cept first and last.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 11:37:30 pm »
+1

Oh right, card bugs. Just had a game with rats and market square, and I think Goko doesn't let you choose the order of on-trash abilities right? I *think* you're allowed to discard market square before or after you get +1 card for trashing rats? But goko didn't let me.

It was against a bot, so I didn't care, but that would be super-frustrating against somebody...

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 12:23:53 am »

For a while, I avoided playing with the Dark Ages cards online because I wanted to play them IRL first. I haven't had as much opportunity to try them IRL as I thought I would, so I'm not sure whether that's still true.

So maybe the real reason is inertia. I don't play much on iso anymore, so once that's gone I'm as likely to quit online Dominion as I am to switch to Goko. If Goko were awesome, the situation might be different.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 12:27:56 am »
+1

Surprised that "Broke/Cheapskate and not that into Base Set Only or Begging" isn't an option!  That is 95% my reason.

The other 5% is that I don't use Chrome or Firefox Betas, so it's laggy for me.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 01:15:04 am »

Surprised that "Broke/Cheapskate and not that into Base Set Only or Begging" isn't an option!  That is 95% my reason.

You can always buy in increments. You can buy half a set for 40 Gokoins and you can purchase 20 Gokoins each for $2. So, if you want, you can invest $4 a month and gradually build up your collection that way.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 02:35:21 am »

I'm on a break from internet play atm, that includes Goko.

But I have no ill feelings toward it, at least they're working on making it better.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 04:59:41 am »
+1

this

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 05:13:58 am »

An interesting point, though one could reasonably suggest that these are two different populations anyway--people who are playing vs. bots aren't going to hang around Isotropic anyway.
I am playing single player on Goko quite a lot. I have 143 multiplayer games on Isotropic. On the other hand, I have played one solo game on Iso (doing a solo challenge puzzle) and three multiplayer games on Goko.

When I started playing online I used Goko with base set only, buying Prosperity+Seaside+Intrigue soon after. I knew about Iso as I've already been registered here, but chose Goko because of solo play - I wanted to learn the cards and have time to think whenever I wanted.

I started playing on Iso when I knew all the cards Goko had at that time and wanted to learn Hinterlands, Cornucopia and Alchemy. This was also because I had to learn the interface because I wanted to play in the tournament. Since then I think my playing is 50/50. I choose Iso when I'm on a slower computer, when I want a human opponent, when I want an opponent stronger than me (Goko bots are not an easy opponent for me now, but I definitely win against them more often than not), when I want to practice using Potion-cost cards. I choose Goko when I want a relaxed game where I can stop for a while whenever I want, when I want to look at original card art which is way better than Iso pictures, when I want Dark Ages cards.

The problem of Goko multiplayer is simple - no automatch. You can find an opponent (all three times when I started a table someone asked to join in a few seconds, Iso automatch sometimes makes me wait longer), but I have no idea if the opponent's skill level will be similar to mine (that's why I prefer the bots, they are weaker than me but strong enough to give me an interesting game and win if I make mistakes).

What are the current security problems at Goko? I don't even see any place where their security awareness could affect me in any way - I log in via Gmail and pay them via a Polish internet payment company I used many times before. I know there were multiple problems in August during the failed launch, but do any of them still exist?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 05:16:34 am »

I hadn't been playing on Goko because it was 'down for routine maintenance' since about Thursday. But after seeing this thread I realised, no, I just needed to clear the cookies and cache for it.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

teasel

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 06:45:51 am »

personaly it's because finding a game with expansions is hard,i could start one on my own but playing base set is horribly boring....

it would be cool if they implemented a queue system,like "notify me when a game with hinterlands open up" or something like that

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 07:44:31 am »

Sort of a combination of I'm broke and it's still a beta, which is to say, I don't want to spend money on a beta when I'm broke. And I don't really want to pay for one small expansion and then another small one later when I know I could have bundled them together and had it cost less in the long run...

foxhurst51

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 08:19:43 am »

Stability. Still aven't been able to finish a session without it crashing/freezing on me in Adventure mode (Safari).

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 08:22:59 am »
+1

What are the current security problems at Goko? I don't even see any place where their security awareness could affect me in any way - I log in via Gmail and pay them via a Polish internet payment company I used many times before. I know there were multiple problems in August during the failed launch, but do any of them still exist?
Well,, it's not so much that I think there is some huge gaping hole in their security right now, it's tat I don't think they would know if there was one, and that they don't  have this in mind when they're doing things.

I mean, obvious problems aren't really the ones you are concerned about, it's the tricky nefarious ones.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 08:29:10 am »
+3

Isotropic is still up????  In all seriousness, as long as I can continue to play on isotropic I will continue to not make any sort of effort to switch.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 09:07:08 am »

This too.

It's partly that I AM broke and other one is that I do not see giving my money yet (beta, dunno how well it will take, etc).

Isotropic is still up????  In all seriousness, as long as I can continue to play on isotropic I will continue to not make any sort of effort to switch.

This too.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 09:10:45 am by Grujah »

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 09:10:26 am »

You can always buy in increments. You can buy half a set for 40 Gokoins and you can purchase 20 Gokoins each for $2. So, if you want, you can invest $4 a month and gradually build up your collection that way.

Even if I buy in increments, the cost will still be the same.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 09:17:49 am »

It turns out the answer is "ingrained prejudice".  In response to this topic I've just given multiplayer Goko a whirl, and it's OK.  I'd still prefer a less garish log-centric interface, but it plays well enough.  Finding games isn't as easy as on Isotropic, but in part that's due to me waiting for someone with all the sets to create a game as I haven't bought anything myself.

If I can eventually get everything for £30, that's probably a reasonable investment to keep playing Dominion with my scattered gaming group once Isotropic disappears completely.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11  All

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 20 queries.