Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: City engine?  (Read 2950 times)

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
City engine?
« on: December 22, 2012, 07:57:45 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/22/game-20121222-043656-10e8c24b.html

This was one of the games in my losers tournament match. We both see the possibility for emptying piles into cities. I choose fishing village and he goes for the pawns. Are pawns the better option here because of the draw? I thought the money of FV would be better because the cities would (hopefully) provide the draw. Also, was my desicion to empty the cities  a mistake? I didn't think he had any cities coming up, which was right.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: City engine?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 08:21:35 am »

Silvers are better than fishing villages if you're not using the extra action and you could buy at least one without capitulating to a noble brigand. Once you have a number of village type cards in your deck the pawns will be a better purchase for the drawing power. This really comes into effect once the cities are enabled.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 08:50:39 am »
+1

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/22/game-20121222-043656-10e8c24b.html

This was one of the games in my losers tournament match. We both see the possibility for emptying piles into cities. I choose fishing village and he goes for the pawns. Are pawns the better option here because of the draw? I thought the money of FV would be better because the cities would (hopefully) provide the draw. Also, was my desicion to empty the cities  a mistake? I didn't think he had any cities coming up, which was right.
Pawns are better because:
They're cheaper and easier to run out as a pile;
They draw cards early on, before cities do that for you,
They give money and buys.

Mostly though, it's not a good board for cities - you aren't using the actions they give you for ANYTHING, so essentially they're cantrips for a long time before turning into labs. Of course, they're very nice by the time you hit level 3, but the game is going to end soon after that.

I think this is classic city trap - ignore them and you ought to do well.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 09:39:04 am »

Pretty much what WW said - City and Pawn work well together (because the +Action from City lets you play Pawn for Card + Coin or occasionally Card + Buy), but it's really not enough on its own (something like, say, Talisman helps a lot). City + FV just means a million surplus actions you can't do anything with. And I mean, look at the point totals for both of you at the end, and the total economy. The last two piles were run out simultaneously, so level 3 Cities didn't even happen. You should be able to do better than this with a BM-ish strategy, even though there aren't really good Actions for that. I dunno, pick up a Forge and a Mandarin, or something.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 11:11:22 am »

I disagree that this is a city trap. 1. There are colonies. 2. This is an otherwise very weak board. 3. The only end game accelerator, forge, is not super reliable with no +cards other than activated cities.

The only non-city strategy I can think of is going to involve maybe scheming forges to drain the colonies, but I'm dubious that will be fast enough that the city player cant catch up on provinces.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 11:22:20 am »

I disagree that this is a city trap. 1. There are colonies. 2. This is an otherwise very weak board. 3. The only end game accelerator, forge, is not super reliable with no +cards other than activated cities.

The only non-city strategy I can think of is going to involve maybe scheming forges to drain the colonies, but I'm dubious that will be fast enough that the city player cant catch up on provinces.
I'd take BM-Mandarin/pawn. Science?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 11:42:47 am »
+1

I'd take BM-Mandarin/pawn. Science?

No time right now, I'm heading out. But I'll be around later tonight.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 12:19:03 pm »

BM - Walled Village
BM - Scheme

Probably two of the three strongest BM's out there.
A man on a mission.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 12:22:54 pm »

BM - Walled Village
BM - Scheme

Probably two of the three strongest BM's out there.
Nonsense. The three strongest single card BMs are Noble Brigand, Mandarin, and Pawn.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 12:28:26 pm »

I find Mandarin BM to be pretty awful for Colony games.

KingsSkort

• Thief
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 01:24:39 pm »

If your opponent is going cities and draining the pawns to activate them, won't you just crush him if you go city/BM? You'll have a lot of money and more L2 cities, and he'll have 10 pawns.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 11:50:23 pm »

Somehow I had missed worker's village here initially. Cities are going to crush here, yes. But fishing villages remain pretty useless.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 07:47:40 am »

Somehow I had missed worker's village here initially. Cities are going to crush here, yes. But fishing villages remain pretty useless.

I don't follow... what is basically cantrip +Buy really makes that big a difference to a City strategy?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 08:09:54 am »

It helps pile out the pawns.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.