Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Playing with DA  (Read 11607 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Playing with DA
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 11:59:38 pm »

You can add Colonies, if you like, but I do believe an all DA game is intended to not be played with Colonies. But, other people probably feel different on the matter, so don't worry.

Warrior

• Golem
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2012, 12:24:10 am »
+1

You can add Colonies, if you like, but I do believe an all DA game is intended to not be played with Colonies. But, other people probably feel different on the matter, so don't worry.
We always love to add Platina and Colonies in all games. Makes it more interesting.

warrior297

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 02:07:45 am »
+1

Why would you say that?  Thematics?  Prosperity and DA are both Dominion expansions, and expansions are meant to be played with each other.  Moreover, Colonies favour engine building and DA has plenty of engine cards.  Wandering Minstrel, Poor House in treasureless engines, Procession for cute combos, Hunting Grounds for huge draw... lots of stuff.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2012, 02:19:01 am »
+1

Well an all DA set has 0 Prosperity cards, and the Prosperity rulebook says Colonies should be included based on the proportion of Prosperity cards in the set.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Warrior

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 12:26:32 pm »
+1

If there is an opportunity for a strong deck to be built, we ALWAYS use platina and colonies. It adds a lot more excitement to the game. I find some DA cards even more potent to create huge engines than some Prosperity cards. Our rule - ALWAYS use Platina and Colonies.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2012, 03:13:22 pm »

There's definitely crazy engine stuff to be done there. Procession makes that set insane.

Procession-Fortress is a lab which gives you +4 actions and gains you a 5-cost card (and keeps the fortress in your hand). Procession-Cultist gives you +7 cards, gives out 2 ruins and gains you a hunting grounds in exchange for your cultist. Band of Misfits can be either a Procession or a Fortress depending on what else is in your hand. Procession-Armory puts Procession-Fortress on top of your deck, and gains you a 5-cost card in exchange for your armory.

Procession on, like, any card in that set is awesome. 

I don't know how it would play out in 4-player though. In 2-player, sometime around turn 9-11 you can procession your way into gaining, like, EVERYTHING. And if you have a lot of fortresses and cultists, you're knight-proof - if the knight trashes a fortress, that puts it in your hand, if the knight trashes a cultist you do lose the cultist but you start with an 8-card hand.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 03:39:40 pm »
+1

If there is an opportunity for a strong deck to be built, we ALWAYS use platina and colonies. It adds a lot more excitement to the game. I find some DA cards even more potent to create huge engines than some Prosperity cards. Our rule - ALWAYS use Platina and Colonies.
That's a dominion variant then, not actually dominion.

I try to be a purist, because I like the idea of being able to run into someone I've never met before and us both having had similar experiences. 
That said, I wish the official rules used a different formula for deciding whether to use Shelters and Platina. 

It's particularly silly that the presence of Bishop and Monument trigger a chance of playing with Colonies that make the VP they produce irrelevant most of the time.

Warrior

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2012, 03:52:16 pm »
+1

Well that is an actual way of playing Dominion. It increases the fun of the game by allowing the game to last longer. What makes you say using platina and colonies all the time not real dominion?

warrior297

Tuyolqx

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2012, 05:45:05 pm »
+1

I normally play with a mix of all expansions  :)

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 06:10:53 pm »
+1

Well that is an actual way of playing Dominion. It increases the fun of the game by allowing the game to last longer. What makes you say using platina and colonies all the time not real dominion?

warrior297

I can't speak for pops, but I agree with him and I'd say the Prosperity rulebook is what makes me say that.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Warrior

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2012, 06:43:47 pm »

warrior297

I can't speak for pops, but I agree with him and I'd say the Prosperity rulebook is what makes me say that.

Why do you think playing with colonies and platina makes the game not true Dominion? I mean, Donald X. made different expansions with different cards so people can make their own decks that are the most fun. I would think he is recommending platina and colonies only be used when using prosperity, not saying it is against the rules to use them with other games.

warrior297

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2012, 06:52:48 pm »
+1

I think if you always want to play with Colonies nothing wrong with that. But, some cards and strategies are not as fun to play in a Colony game and vice versa. For instance, Jack of all Trades is very strong in Province games, but in most Colony games those Silvers make little difference. So, always playing with Colonies actually changes some of the cards. Same thing with Shelters, Ambassador is a powerhouse in estate games, but throw in Shelters and most of the time, the correct play is to not buy Ambassador at all.

Warrior

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2012, 06:57:08 pm »

I think if you always want to play with Colonies nothing wrong with that. But, some cards and strategies are not as fun to play in a Colony game and vice versa. For instance, Jack of all Trades is very strong in Province games, but in most Colony games those Silvers make little difference. So, always playing with Colonies actually changes some of the cards. Same thing with Shelters, Ambassador is a powerhouse in estate games, but throw in Shelters and most of the time, the correct play is to not buy Ambassador at all.

I completely agree with you.

warrior297

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2012, 07:00:25 pm »
+1

warrior297

Why do you think playing with colonies and platina makes the game not true Dominion? I mean, Donald X. made different expansions with different cards so people can make their own decks that are the most fun. I would think he is recommending platina and colonies only be used when using prosperity, not saying it is against the rules to use them with other games.

warrior297

Quote from: Prosperity Rulebook
If only Kingdom cards from Prosperity are being used this game, then the Platinum and Colony piles
are added to the Basic cards in the Supply for the game. If a mix of Kingdom cards from Prosperity
and other sets are being used, then the inclusion of Platinum and Colony in the Supply should be
determined randomly, based on the proportion of Prosperity and non-Prosperity cards in use. For
example, choose a random Kingdom card being used - such as the first card dealt out from the
Randomizer deck - and if it is from Prosperity, add Platinum and Colony to the Supply.
Having said that, I don't see why anyone particularly cares if you're playing "true Dominion" or not.

Warrior

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2012, 07:07:05 pm »

warrior297

warrior297

Quote from: Prosperity Rulebook
If only Kingdom cards from Prosperity are being used this game, then the Platinum and Colony piles
are added to the Basic cards in the Supply for the game. If a mix of Kingdom cards from Prosperity
and other sets are being used, then the inclusion of Platinum and Colony in the Supply should be
determined randomly, based on the proportion of Prosperity and non-Prosperity cards in use. For
example, choose a random Kingdom card being used - such as the first card dealt out from the
Randomizer deck - and if it is from Prosperity, add Platinum and Colony to the Supply.
Having said that, I don't see why anyone particularly cares if you're playing "true Dominion" or not.

I don't understand why either.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2012, 07:43:59 pm »

I explained why - I like the idea of standardization so that if I run into someone else who plays, we've got experience playing the same game. 

Warrior

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2012, 07:52:39 pm »

I explained why - I like the idea of standardization so that if I run into someone else who plays, we've got experience playing the same game.

But we are both playing the same game the way I see it. Do you see it differently just because I use higher cost VP more often than you are? The ways we play are closer than if you played Dominion with someone who had different expansions than you.

warrior297

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2012, 09:17:37 pm »
+1

That said, I wish the official rules used a different formula for deciding whether to use Shelters and Platina. 

If you want to be technical and read things literally, the official rules DO NOT specify a formula! They say that the chance of using Plat/Col/Shelters should be determined "based on" the number of Prosperity/DA cards. They don't say HOW it should be based on them. They give an example - flipping over one card to see what set its from. But flipping over two, or three, or ten cards would be just as viable given the rules as stated, or applying some arbitrary formula, as long as that formula depends in some way on the number of cards from Prosperity/DA.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2012, 10:31:58 pm »

Yes, you are correct.  Even that broad set of formulas doesn't make me happy though.  I think a game with no Dark Ages cards should have a nonzero probability of shelters in an ideal formula

Warrior

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2012, 10:55:50 pm »

I think Shelters were made to be used where there is trashing available, and Colonies and Platinums were created to lengthen games where big engines and big money turns are available. Do you agree?

warrior297

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2012, 11:30:14 pm »

Why would you say that?  Thematics?  Prosperity and DA are both Dominion expansions, and expansions are meant to be played with each other.  Moreover, Colonies favour engine building and DA has plenty of engine cards.  Wandering Minstrel, Poor House in treasureless engines, Procession for cute combos, Hunting Grounds for huge draw... lots of stuff.

I missed the key words "all DA".  My bad.  The comment is fair.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2012, 02:20:55 am »
+2

I think Shelters were made to be used where there is trashing available, and Colonies and Platinums were created to lengthen games where big engines and big money turns are available. Do you agree?

warrior297

I don't think so. 

Shelters change the game when trashing is available, but they also change the game when it isn't.

Colonies can lengthen the game when big engines and big turns are available, but they ALSO change the game when such engines/turns aren't available. They MAKE engines viable even when you can't really make a big engine. They completely change the dynamics and pacing of non-engine games too.

Warrior

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2012, 11:15:43 am »

warrior297

I don't think so. 

Shelters change the game when trashing is available, but they also change the game when it isn't.

Colonies can lengthen the game when big engines and big turns are available, but they ALSO change the game when such engines/turns aren't available. They MAKE engines viable even when you can't really make a big engine. They completely change the dynamics and pacing of non-engine games too.

True.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.