Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Colony game win without platinum  (Read 752 times)

Dekryr

• Baron
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
Colony game win without platinum
« on: December 20, 2012, 12:28:52 am »

I am usually terrible at Colony games and this board doesn't look all that great to me, but I somehow manage 5 colonies (trashing 1) in 18 turns without buying a platinum (which is probably a mistake). Anyway I thought it was interesting.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/19/game-20121219-211609-7b8033e8.html

The key cards here are trade route, fool's gold, apprentice and there is swindler and ambassador. Thankfully, my opponent doesn't really use the attacks, he buys a swindler which could really hurt my slim FG deck plans, but only plays it twice before trashing it. This board didn't look like an 18 turn colony emptying board to me, but maybe I just underestimate FG. Any thoughts are welcome.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Re: Colony game win without platinum
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 12:59:08 am »

This board didn't look like an 18 turn colony emptying board to me, but maybe I just underestimate FG.

FG+Apprentice is huge. I'd argue that you should definitely pick up Platinums on this kind of board in general, though. They're worth more than even activated FG, after all. Anyway, it looks like you both had the same basic idea, but he played it much worse - using Apprentice on his FGs for a small draw, rather than sacrificing more expensive cards (including other Apprentices) to line up the FGs.

Also, you both ignored Ambassador and I think it's got to be really strong here, since you're both pursuing a strategy that involves lining things up which is much easier in a clean deck than a junked-up one - plus Apprentice doesn't get any benefit from trashing a Copper. Swindler is a nice attack as well (FG->Estate really hurts, as does Apprentice->Duchy) but you don't have any villages here and are aiming to draw really big hands with Apprentice eventually, so I think you basically have to just take one Amb and later on one Trade Route and go from there.

Also, maybe it's just me, but it feels like he got really lucky with Menagerie and it should have been more decisively in your favour...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 20 queries.