Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2013 Edition  (Read 114158 times)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2013 Edition
« Reply #175 on: September 02, 2015, 05:51:25 pm »
+1

I feel like if Qvist doesn't have time for this (it does seem like quite a lot of work) it might be cool if a group of people took up some of the responsibility for him. I agree that it would be funny to see our Adventures rankings prior to everyone online playing with them.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 02, 2015, 05:59:45 pm »

What I'm somewhat fearful of, is that many people may not have played Adventures at all. I'm all for ranking the Adventures cards as well, as I'm really curious what everyone else thinks of them compared to the older cards, but not if it means that we lose a significant amount of votes.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 02, 2015, 09:00:58 pm »
+2

What I'm somewhat fearful of, is that many people may not have played Adventures at all. I'm all for ranking the Adventures cards as well, as I'm really curious what everyone else thinks of them compared to the older cards, but not if it means that we lose a significant amount of votes.

What happened with Guilds (and I think Dark Ages) was that voters could opt out of expansions they hadn't had the chance to play with yet.  I think that should continue with this one.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #178 on: September 02, 2015, 09:35:31 pm »
+2

In addition to what wero says, I am frankly not 'afraid' of the results being polluted. It's not like the 2013 list is 100% objective or accurate either.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2015, 06:44:48 am »

Alright, fair enough. I'll definitely rank them, I played Adventures a lot more than, for example, Guilds already. :)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2015, 08:33:59 am »

The only cards I would feel good about ranking would be Magpie and Guide, especially Magpie. It's good, very good.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2015, 08:53:37 am »
+2

I would feel good about get all of them ranked. I actually want to see hilarious over/underestimations of the cards too see how the perception shifts over time. Especially because it is really hard to determine the cards with completely new mechanics (reserve cards, haunted woods, etc.).

What I actually like is for the new ranking is a clarification whether we vote on "favourite" or "best" cards. It seems that both these terms were used for these rankings altough my ranking would look vastly different depending on what the criteria is.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2015, 11:48:26 am »

The only cards I would feel good about ranking would be Magpie and Guide, especially Magpie. It's good, very good.

I'm especially fond of Haunted Woods. It's one of the strongest $5 cards imo, about on par with Wharf, maybe even slightly stronger. It provides no benefit on the current turn, but +3 cards on the next turn is HUGE, and it has a (somewhat mediocre) attack to boot. If you can play one each turn, it's almost a Double Tactician engine without the discard. And if you have Villages (Port is awesome with it because you get two of them, but any Village works), you can stack them and get megaturns with huge hands more easily than ever.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2015, 12:08:48 pm »

I'm especially fond of Haunted Woods. It's one of the strongest $5 cards imo, about on par with Wharf, maybe even slightly stronger. It provides no benefit on the current turn, but +3 cards on the next turn is HUGE, and it has a (somewhat mediocre) attack to boot. If you can play one each turn, it's almost a Double Tactician engine without the discard. And if you have Villages (Port is awesome with it because you get two of them, but any Village works), you can stack them and get megaturns with huge hands more easily than ever.

I dunno, the extra action and extra buy that Tactician gives is also important. Especially since the extra action is required to play something like Vault and then another Tactician. Haunted Woods requires you to have Villages, and a source of +buy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 03, 2015, 12:14:25 pm »
+1

I dunno, the extra action and extra buy that Tactician gives is also important. Especially since the extra action is required to play something like Vault and then another Tactician. Haunted Woods requires you to have Villages, and a source of +buy.

Haunted Woods/Worker's Village combo OP
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 03, 2015, 05:59:21 pm »
+1

True, for it to be an engine that rivals Double Tactician it does kinda need a Village and +Buy. But then again, don't most engines? Besides, I haven't tried it, but I assume it's also a pretty decent Big Money enabler, again, like Wharf.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #186 on: September 04, 2015, 08:27:06 am »
+2

I assume it's also a pretty decent Big Money enabler, again, like Wharf.

It's true that terminal draw + BM is really good, and Haunted Woods is not an exception to that. On the other hand, I think the comparison to Rabble is much more appropriate. Rabble is a card that makes you not want to green early -- Big Money greens earlier than other strategies, so you have to be really careful about playing Big Money with Haunted Woods around. Sure, there are events to counter it, and you can always just pass your turn with Haunted Woods where once you're pinned with Rabble it's much harder to get out, but Haunted Woods is an attack card, and it hits BM harder than most other strategies.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 05, 2015, 03:42:47 pm »
+1

Is anyone in contact with Qvist? He doesn't seem active on the forums recently.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 18, 2015, 07:30:26 am »
+6

So Qvist doesn't seem to return to this board anytime soon and we all want new Dominion card rank lists.

Would anyone object if I were to organize something sometime this weekend or next week? I mean, I'm not exactly a long-time member or a top player here, but I've done stuff like this before and I like doing it. And someone's got to do it.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 18, 2015, 07:32:46 am »

Would anyone object if I were to organize something sometime this weekend or next week? I mean, I'm not exactly a long-time member or a top player here, but I've done stuff like this before and I like doing it. And someone's got to do it.
Go for it. Willingness is far more useful than playing skill here. :D
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 18, 2015, 08:23:30 am »
+1

I'm down for it. I have been playing a bit more Adventures games. I think you should PM the guy who started the lists way back though, Qvist.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 18, 2015, 04:06:47 pm »

Let's do it!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 18, 2015, 06:29:05 pm »

I'm down for it. I have been playing a bit more Adventures games. I think you should PM the guy who started the lists way back though, Qvist.

Fair enough. I sent him a PM and will wait for a reaction at least a couple of days.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 19, 2015, 09:59:03 am »
+11

Hey guys. Sorry, I haven't been active on the forums lately.

So, you want to list the cards now as it seems. I wanted to wait until 2016.
I mean I want to do it again. But I don't know if I have the time now to do it. So I'm kind of torn.

The problem I currently have is that I'm not at home. I'm posting from my phone now. I will return next week.
So it would be nice if you guys would let me give one week to think about it. I will post next Saturday here again, okay?

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 19, 2015, 10:50:19 am »

Hey guys. Sorry, I haven't been active on the forums lately.

So, you want to list the cards now as it seems. I wanted to wait until 2016.
I mean I want to do it again. But I don't know if I have the time now to do it. So I'm kind of torn.

The problem I currently have is that I'm not at home. I'm posting from my phone now. I will return next week.
So it would be nice if you guys would let me give one week to think about it. I will post next Saturday here again, okay?

Why would we wait until 2016? Adventures isn't coming out online anytime soon. Maybe the only reason I could think of is to include Summon as well, if we're ranking Events... or, yeah, if you have the time then but not now. Then again, many people want to see new lists...

Anyway, I'll wait until next week, no problem. :) Thanks for replying!

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 19, 2015, 02:13:45 pm »
+3

Qvist, if you feel like putting in the work to do this in 2015, I think it would be great and appreciated.

If it's a thing where you're willing to do it either now or in 2016, but not both, I would wait, but I think there's value to getting a snapshot of the Dominion metagame before Adventures makes it online.

I think it would be best for people to rank Adventures cards alongside the rest, even without a simulator. If we want to see how people rank the non-Adventures cards, we can just remove the Adventures cards from the final results (right?) and get a decent approximation. Two sets of data for the price of one!

If there's anything I could do to help, let me know; I'm a huge data nerd and I love this stuff.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 26, 2015, 03:39:08 pm »
+9

Alright this is starting soon. I'll open the specific thread sometime next week.

2 things I like to mention:

1.) I'd love to use the web application again if possible. It makes things easier for me. I'll update it soon with the new Adventures cards and events.
If someone doesn't want to use the application, no problem. Anyone can send me his list via PM in text or a spreadsheet. Just make sure you include every card in each list.
I also plan to reset all the data, so it's easier for me to know who has updated the whole list. If someone wants to receive his list from last time, I have a backup copy and I can send him his list via PM, no problem.

2.) I plan to include the events with the cards because the reasoning behind the order in these lists is often "What do you buy if you have $x available?" It doesn't matter to you if you buy a event or a card. The only difference is that an event is a one-shot while a card can be used over and over again. The categories will basically stay the same, this means: $0-$2, $3, $4, $5, $6+, Potion cards, Prices, Knights, Ruins.

If anyone has a problem with one of those two things, let me know.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 26, 2015, 03:41:04 pm »

Sounds good!  But I think there was some interest in ranking the Events as a category on their own, as well as including them at their relevant price points?

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #198 on: September 26, 2015, 05:06:59 pm »

Great!

Can you please make a short post in this thread, when it starts, so I don't miss it? ;-)
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 26, 2015, 07:09:29 pm »

Great!

Can you please make a short post in this thread, when it starts, so I don't miss it? ;-)
I second that.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.