Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How did I play Envoy wrong?  (Read 1004 times)

sparky5856

• Bishop
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
How did I play Envoy wrong?
« on: December 19, 2012, 02:41:19 am »

Alright here's the deal, I know having others critique your gameplay is a fundamental step towards improving it. This particular game I won, but my opponent then calls me bad cause I discarded wrong whenever he played Envoy... but I'm not specifically seeing what he's referring to. Can anyone help me out here?

log: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-232629-b7a3c6df.html

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: How did I play Envoy wrong?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 03:51:23 am »
+2

Well, there's lots of things to comment on about in that game, of which Envoy choices are probably the LEAST of your worries... but hey, here's analysis of those anyway, since you asked.

Turn 17:

— NDOG332's turn 17 —
NDOG332 plays a Shanty Town.
... revealing 2 Goons, an Envoy, and a Copper.
... getting +2 actions.
NDOG332 plays an Envoy.
... drawing an Ambassador, an Estate, and 3 Coppers.
Here you had him discard an Ambassador, where really,  you knew he had 2 terminals in hand already and no villages, might as well have made him discard a copper? Eh.

Oh, similar thing on t19.
— NDOG332's turn 19 — 
... revealing a Goons and an Envoy.
... getting +2 actions.
NDOG332 plays an Envoy.
... drawing a Goons, an Ambassador, a Shanty Town, an Envoy, and a Copper.
Here you know he had no village in hand. Discard the Shanty Town and let him be stuck with a hand of four terminals and a copper, and only 1 action. Instead you made him discard the Envoy, letting him have a double-goons turn.

Turn 21:

— NDOG332's turn 21 —
NDOG332 plays a Village.
... drawing 1 card and getting +2 actions.
NDOG332 plays an Envoy.
... drawing an Ambassador, a Silver, and 3 Coppers.

It's turn 21, the game should be almost over. No point in making him discard the amb - what's he going to do, give you coppers you'll never draw again? Here the silver was probably the right choice to discard.

Turn 22:

... revealing a Goons, an Envoy, and 2 Coppers.
... getting +2 actions.
NDOG332 plays an Envoy.
... drawing 2 Silk Roads, a Shanty Town, and 2 Coppers.
Here you know that he has a Goons in hand and no way to draw cards. You made him discard the Shanty Town, but that Shanty Town wouldn't have drawn him cards anyway! You should have made him discard a copper.

...dunno, those are the ones I can see where I think you made mistakes.

Shanty Town and Envoy really should be sort of a nombo. Revealing the hand to Shanty Town should have given you the information to use the discard for maximum pain - discard Shanty Towns when he has lots of terminals in hand, let him keep shanty towns when he has exactly one action card in hand, etc.

...but really, I think there are many other ways to improve on this set, the envoy choices were probably fairly minor.

Better things to take away from this game:
1) Remodeling Coppers to Estates - BAD. Very bad use of a terminal action.
2) Here there is villages (village, shanty town) and good draw (envoy) and great trashing (amb) and Goons. You should be aiming for a goons megaturn. Win the amb war, draw your whole deck, and get to the point where you're playing 3 goons per turn. And using the buys on more Villages/Envoys to KEEP drawing your deck even more reliably. You need to Ambassador more aggressively to slim your deck down.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 20 queries.