Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Treasure Map  (Read 1227 times)

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
Treasure Map
« on: December 17, 2012, 09:38:26 pm »

I was looking at treasure map cellar here and assumed that would be the best strategy here over the engine that my opponent went for. It took until turn 14 to connect my maps with 3 cellars. Was this not the right strategy here? Is treasure map and cellar not good? I think I overlooked the engine here too much as he pulled 5 provinces in 15 turns with salvager support to trash his other 2 provinces. Is treasure map good here?
Log:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/17/game-20121217-183604-99f834ec.html

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Map
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 10:10:10 pm »

TM is a "trap card" unless there are strong enablers and/or there are no other good strategies, and in this case, an engine like your opponent made is probably the strongest option. Additionally, your Treasure Maps don't collide until your turn 14 which is TERRIBLE luck. But, it could've been prevented. You should actually be getting more than 2 T-Maps in your deck... 3 or 4 I believe? I'd pick up a couple Silvers, in order to afford more TMs, before buying Cellar with $3 to spend. Another thing to note is that you should keep track of every time you reshuffle... your TMs never collide because one is always stuck in the discard when the other one is in your hand. What I'm trying to say is Cellar wisely by lining them up with reshuffles in order to increase your chances of both TMs winding up in your hand at the same time. Don't just Cellar everything all the time.
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 05:35:48 am »
+1

TM is a "trap card"
... TERRIBLE luck.

My personal record is trashing the deck with Steward or the like down to six cards, only to have my draw pile consist of the second Treasure Map. That was something like turn 14 too.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:25:42 am »
+1

agreed that you are suffering bad luck here. that said, i think treasure map/cellar is not that strong. i know that the warehouse/cellar joke is the oldest joke on this forum, but treasure map is an example where warehouse is much stronger, because if the warehouse doesn't find your second tm, you can discard your first one and buy something.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.704 seconds with 21 queries.