Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Poor House + Hamlet?  (Read 1840 times)

Quadell

• Scout
  • Respect: +107
    • View Profile
Poor House + Hamlet?
« on: December 17, 2012, 07:15:33 am »
+1

Poor House can net you Provinces, but to do so you need a way to get rid of your treasures, and you need +actions. It's also good to have drawing ability, and it's very nice to have +buys (for extra Poor Houses and other engine cards early, and extra provinces toward the end). So combos like Poor House + Worker's Village + Chapel seem promising to me. But lately I've been exploring whether I can get Poor House to work without Chapel (or other heavy trashing), and a combo that has surprised me is Poor House / Hamlet. Hamlet gets rid of Coppers by discarding them, and gives you a card, up to +2 actions, and +1 buy.

The simulators don't play it very well, but I've found that buying only Poor House, Hamlet, and Province seems to beat big money. An early-midgame turn might look like "play Hamlet, Hamlet, Poor House, and buy 2 Poor Houses and a Hamlet", and a lategame turn can look like "play 3 Hamlets and 4 Poor Houses, buy 2 Provinces".

The thing is, I'm not a good enough player to know if this can be tweaked into an actual good strategy. I know it can be swingy from having too many cards in the deck. I may not be playing it as well as I could, and I'm sure the strategy could be improved with other cards to buy: a light trasher (e.g. Forager) might be useful, though a heavy trasher would just negate the advantage of Hamlet. What do you guys think? Is this a workable combo?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Poor House + Hamlet?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 08:06:22 am »
+3

This needs more than just Hamlet and Poor House.

I start off at 5 cards.
I play Hamlet, it replaces itself, I discard for Action.  4 cards.
I play Hamlet, it replaces itself, I discard for Action.  3 cards.
I play Hamlet, it replaces itself, I discard for Action.  2 cards.
I know have enough Actions to play 4 Poor Houses, but no +Buy, and only 2 remaining slots in my hand for Poor Houses.  I get one Province.  How were you planning on playing 4 Poor Houses and buying two Provinces?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Quadell

• Scout
  • Respect: +107
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 08:16:35 am »

How were you planning on playing 4 Poor Houses and buying two Provinces?

Er, hmm, I must have been thinking of a variant there I tried with another card in the mix. You're right about that not adding up. Regardless, it's my impression that just Hamlet/Poor House buys a Province reliably enough and quickly enough to beat big money, but I'm just not sure whether it can be the basis for a truly competitive strategy (with the addition of other cards).

KingsSkort

• Thief
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 08:20:12 am »
+1

I think this could work for single provinces. Hitting double provinces seems like it would require more support. Warehouse/poor house/village can be good.

Light trashing would be very strong. Aim for more hamlets than PHs.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 08:46:25 am »

I think this could work for single provinces. Hitting double provinces seems like it would require more support. Warehouse/poor house/village can be good.

Light trashing would be very strong. Aim for more hamlets than PHs.
Procession your Poor Houses if you have too many!

The nice thing is that hamlet trades cards for actions and buys, which means every card that nets actions, buys, or cards, is fair game here. Rabble, Workers Village, Laboratory, Masquerade ...
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 04:22:33 pm »
+1

Card draw really helps Poor House decks, also trashing if possible, but Hamlet does a decent job of acting as a pseudo trasher.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.