Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I lost the race for Colonies on this board. What should I have done differently?  (Read 985 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile

We had similar strategies.  I couldn't figure out a way to win.  What did I do wrong?

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/16/game-20121216-080330-369efb93.html

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile

This is a weak board in general. My first thought is that Cities are not strong on this board. There aren't great terminal actions, there's no other pile likely to run, and there's no +Buy, so Cities will drain slowly. Even if Cities hit level 2, they're really no better than Labs because of the lack of terminals. Upgrade deck thinning and Warehouse for cycling can probably do enough to mitigate the benefit of having larger hand sizes.

But, since this is not an engine board, trashing is probably not great. I think the stronger option is probably Noble Brigand. This is going to be a money game, and Noble Brigand can really slow your opponent in hitting the Platinum threshold. I can't solo it effectively because the key element of NB is the treasure-stealing, but my guess is that NB would beat someone rushing Cities solo.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
+2

This is a weak board in general. My first thought is that Cities are not strong on this board. There aren't great terminal actions, there's no other pile likely to run, and there's no +Buy, so Cities will drain slowly. Even if Cities hit level 2, they're really no better than Labs because of the lack of terminals. Upgrade deck thinning and Warehouse for cycling can probably do enough to mitigate the benefit of having larger hand sizes.

But, since this is not an engine board, trashing is probably not great. I think the stronger option is probably Noble Brigand. This is going to be a money game, and Noble Brigand can really slow your opponent in hitting the Platinum threshold. I can't solo it effectively because the key element of NB is the treasure-stealing, but my guess is that NB would beat someone rushing Cities solo.

I disagree. Trashing is almost always valuable in Colony games because Estates and Coppers are so weak in Colony games. So Upgrade at some point is a must. Warehouse is also a nice target for upgrading estates. Noble Brigand is weak if your opponent goes for Cities and the $1 is really underwhelming in Colony games.

I think you have to go for Cities because letting your opponent get all 10 will be disastrous. And the Quarry/Talisman combo with Upgrade makes running two piles out fairly easy.

I would open Quarry/Warehouse, looking to get a couple of Upgrades to trim the deck down and then use Quarry/Talisman to gain multiple Cities and Throne Rooms per turn. If you go this route it's important not to overdo the Warehouses early on because the decrease in hand size from both Warehouse and Upgrade can leave you without much of a hand to work with. Both Throne Rooms and Cities can empty here.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.