Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 7915 times)

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 08:55:32 am »

>  Arthur Dent as Bilbo

Looking forward to this. The right one to act out a character whose main lines are "what?", "I don't understand" and "where's the tea". Very fitting in both stories.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 09:02:04 am »

So Tom Bombadil was too silly to be included in LOTR, but Radagast wasn't too silly to be invented for this movie?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 10:54:33 am »

So Tom Bombadil was too silly to be included in LOTR, but Radagast wasn't too silly to be invented for this movie?

I think Bombadil was left out because of the drug references, and the fact that bits rubbish.

Radagast wasn't 'invented' for the movie, but he was largely added too (He is mentioned but never seen in the books) and that rabbit bit was stupid, as was the death of the goblin king

Apart from that, and the fact that not a lot happened, i quite liked it

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 11:53:10 am »

Radagast wasn't 'invented' for the movie, but he was largely added too (He is mentioned but never seen in the books) and that rabbit bit was stupid, as was the death of the goblin king

I actually didn't mind the rabbits. For me, it boils down to, "Screw it; he's a wizard." He wants magic bunnies? He gets magic bunnies.

Though, it'd be badass if he had elk with massive, razor-sharp antlers. It could have made the chase scene a little more interesting.

I have to say that the death of the goblin king was really quite anticlimactic. The quip he made didn't really add that much. It was kind of humorous, but since that scene was a letdown anyway, the remark's humor lost its edge. I certainly wouldn't expect someone who could manage ruling over thousands of goblins to maneuver himself into that position.

I didn't feel it had to take up almost 3 hours, but I didn't regret spending that time watching the movie, except maybe for that chase scene. RunPee suggested this as a great time to run to the bathroom. I didn't have to go, but I kind of wish I did.
A man has no signature

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 01:08:03 pm »

Well, I loved the whole movie, even the added stuff.

It's not like Jackson just fabricated the added stuff out of no where. It's wholly consistent with what happens "behind the scenes" during The Hobbit book (and in the supplemental Tales and things). I also found the entire tone of the movie extremely consistent with Tolkien's themes--namely, Tolkien's concerns about the encroachments of modernity and industry upon nature and tradition and simplicity (which isn't really a concern I share, but it's one of the messages of the books and it's done well here).

The movie also felt remarkably connected to the original trilogy, for me. Gandalf's speech to Galadriel about how small acts of kindness and courage are the most moving sort of heroism is such a terrific summation of everything. And the pivotal act of kindness--Bilbo sparing Gollum's life--is just superbly shot and acted.

(I could have done with a little less orc-fight rampage stuff, but I felt that way about ROTK, too.)
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 01:13:59 pm »

Gandalf's speech to Galadriel about how small acts of kindness and courage are the most moving sort of heroism is such a terrific summation of everything. And the pivotal act of kindness--Bilbo sparing Gollum's life--is just superbly shot and acted.

It was too terrific a summation, I felt. In general, the dialogue was too on the nose. Way over the top.

I disagree that all of Tolkien is a whole cloth and as long as you take things from something he wrote, you can put them in anything else he wrote. The Hobbit, as a book, was intentionally constructed to include some details and exclude others. Could you take things from Persuasion and stick them into an adaptation of Pride and Prejudice to pad it? Will Ender's Game be a better movie if they stick in random pieces from "Ender's Shadow?"

Jackson could have made that book into an awesome movie. Instead, in the pursuit of more money or longer term employment, he chose to make it into three mediocre movies (if the first one is any indication). That bugs me. It's everything that's wrong with Hollywood.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 01:37:32 pm »
+1

Will Ender's Game be a better movie if they stick in random pieces from "Ender's Shadow?"

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Adding an extra viewpoint on the same events does nothing but help, unless they stretch things out as a result.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2012, 03:48:40 pm »

unless they stretch things out as a result.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.