Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 7921 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
The Hobbit
« on: December 14, 2012, 10:43:23 pm »
+1

What did everyone think?

I have no idea why the critics disliked the 48 fps so much; I got used to it very quickly, and it really did make everything smoother.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 11:15:00 pm »

Thought about making this topic myself! :P

I saw the midnight premiere in Imax 3D and I thought the visuals were pretty incredible, even edging out the LOTR movies.

I was unsure about the embellishments and additions, especially the pale Orc because I was not sure if that was canonical. I've since heard that it is indeed mentioned in the appendices, which is good. I didn't think it was strictly necessary but I thought it was well done. I was pretty excited to see Radagast show up, though I can't decide whether his story line had just the right amount of whimsy or if it was a bit contrived. Probably it will be important for making the Necromancer's storyline make sense. He was really cool but they could have toned down the bird poop on his face.

I thought that absolutely every scene on and under the mountain was perfect, just flawless. Great interpretation of Goblins. I loved the ending too, it's hard not to cheer when the eagles show up. Overall the mood was definitely lighter than LOTR but they did a good job making it feel epic. I expect each movie to get a little darker and more epic than the last.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 03:19:09 am »

I haven't seen it yet--and sadly, with two kids, likely won't until after it's out of theaters--but the things I think are most amusing are Dr. Who (#7) as Radagast and Arthur Dent as Bilbo.  (No spoilers because public knowledge on IMDB)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 04:34:48 am »
+1

I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed any of the LotR-movies. It's fun and quirky, just like the book. I didn't really like the Radagast-story, it just felt off and too odd. I have no problem with Azog, however as I think that a recurring villain following them throughout the journey doesn't harm the tension a bit. And he is actually mentioned in the Book, so he's not completely made up.

48fps is probably the best thing since sliced bread. I absolutely loved it. In the first 20 minutes of the movie I actually lost count of how many times I got goosebumps from the frame rate. But I do have a VERY weird relation to high frame rate.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 04:43:03 am »
+2

Going to see it today.

Incredibly dissapointed its three movies..
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 09:13:15 am »

I loved the lotr movies, but this I didnt like at all. Why it was three hours is beyond me, almost every scene felt prolonged. Also they got away from all the hardships they encountered with some unrelated miracle escape.

Like with the eagles. Bilbo's behaviour was super out of character, I would have liked it much more if he used the ring to save them.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 09:54:14 am »

I loved the lotr movies, but this I didnt like at all. Why it was three hours is beyond me, almost every scene felt prolonged. Also they got away from all the hardships they encountered with some unrelated miracle escape.

Like with the eagles. Bilbo's behaviour was super out of character, I would have liked it much more if he used the ring to save them.

The ending of this movie was consistent with what happened in the book, though.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 01:11:56 pm »
+1

Also they got away from all the hardships they encountered with some unrelated miracle escape.

Hi, Eevee, I would like you to meet the contrived 'get out of jail' plot lines in pretty much every fantasy book...well ever.
Contrived 'get out of jail' plot lines in pretty much every fantasy book...well ever, Meet Eevee

Basically, if in doubt.......'A Wizard Did it'

They got a fancy name for it nowadays, Deus Ex Machina? But its the same thing.

Right onto the movie.....

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 01:12:22 pm »
+1

Don't worry.  He will in the next one.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 01:15:14 pm »

Right, first off, thought it was quite good, but as expected, waaaaay to long.
Sure they have added some bits in there to pad it out with more action and stuff, but the Hobbit is a great book without having to need to add bits, you can all probably recite all the key scenes they needed to do off the top of your head!

Seriously, the rabbit sledge? What the fuck was that about.

Looked amazing of course (in non-2d and 24fps, no idea about the fancy stuff) and the fight scenes and stuff were good.

But just too long, I left thinking it was a good film, but I would of liked to have felt more drawn into the journey after the film.

Also, extrapolating on eevees point earlier, why does no one EVER thank Gandlaf for saving them all the time?!

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 01:52:56 pm »

Don't worry.  He will in the next one.
I meant to save them from the trouble in the end. But nah, eagles.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 04:05:33 pm »

That's sarcasm, right?  It's always tough to tell on the Internet.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 09:12:40 pm »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeusExMachina
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 09:50:05 pm »

I was surprised and impressed by the decision to turn the whole thing into an almost constant battle. I was also surprised that it went as long as it did, there were several points I though would have made better endings earlier on. However, I thought that the Goblin King was just ridiculous. He was ugly, but every time I saw him I a) laughed, and b) thought his chin looked like a giant testicle. Also, his death was just retarded. The other thing I didn't like was Thorin's attack on Azog at the end, it just seemed stupid when he got totally thrashed. I didn't mind Radagast, but how did his rabbit sledge cross the misty mountains?

All in all, I was quite impressed and really liked it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 10:10:32 pm »

The term "Deus Ex Machina" is not recent.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 10:46:27 pm »
+1

I was surprised and impressed by the decision to turn the whole thing into an almost constant battle. I was also surprised that it went as long as it did, there were several points I though would have made better endings earlier on. However, I thought that the Goblin King was just ridiculous. He was ugly, but every time I saw him I a) laughed, and b) thought his chin looked like a giant testicle. Also, his death was just retarded. The other thing I didn't like was Thorin's attack on Azog at the end, it just seemed stupid when he got totally thrashed. I didn't mind Radagast, but how did his rabbit sledge cross the misty mountains?

I enjoyed the Goblin King, but when he popped up at the end there, I was like, "BOSS BATTLE," and it was amusing.  And I could not stop laughing when Thorin got up and started slowly walking down the tree to the most dramatic music ever.  I was like, dude, if you're gonna attack him, at least do it more quickly.  Jeez.  And it did serve to undermine his persona as "awesome warrior" to have him defeated all the time.  SHOW us what a great warrior he is, rather than have Balin TELL us what a great warrior he is.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 11:24:58 pm »

I don't get it. I agree with the part in the spoilers, but why did you like it then? Sarcasm?

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 11:26:34 pm »
+1

there is little to no need for the spoilers here though. for a movie to be spoilable, something should have happened in it.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 11:30:21 pm »

I don't get it. I agree with the part in the spoilers, but why did you like it then? Sarcasm?

Well, I guess I skimmed over why I liked it. I liked the fact of the constant battle, and I liked pretty much everything I didn't mention. Except for Galadriel being around. I just don't like her. I also should have said "good" instead of "better" when talking about ending points.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 01:16:26 am »

The term "Deus Ex Machina" is not recent.

This what what I was getting at, mainly by highlighting "nowadays."

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 01:19:20 am »

I enjoyed the movie whenever stuff that happened in the book was happening. The added bits were just so obviously added and didn't really fit in terms of town, especially especially Saruman and Galadriel, who just seemed shoe-horned in in a fit of blatant pandering.

After all three movies, someone will make a "Phantom Edit" that contains only the stuff in the book and is roughly the length of a movie and I will really enjoy that film.

(I know someone's going to point out that all the added stuff comes from Tolkien apocrypha, but honestly you can't just stick stuff from another book into a book. I'm not saying the added stuff isn't Tolkien, I'm saying it doesn't belong/fit in The Hobbit).

Songs were aces, also.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 11:24:14 am »

it was sweet!

i feel like the appeal of it, for me, is not so much in plot or dialogue, but in luxuriating in the world. which this movie let me do really well.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 11:25:08 am »

Must stay away... Hobbit not out here until Boxing Day...

Although I have Gold Class tickets. :D

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 11:35:16 am »

Must stay away... Hobbit not out here until Boxing Day...

Although I have Gold Class tickets. :D

I dont know what they are....but the cinema we go too (near local)

You sit in Sofa seats with footrests, they have a licenced bar, they have winecoolers under the side arms, and liottle tables just right to hold thier own mini pizzas on.

Pure luxury!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 08:45:59 am »

I was unsure about the embellishments and additions, especially the pale Orc because I was not sure if that was canonical.

I was thinking about that character afterward. I think that movie audiences expect to have a tangible main villain. In a journey story, it's a series of antagonists and how they are overcome. You have that with the trolls and the goblin king, but their scenes are short-lived. And Gollum doesn't show up until later in the story.

So, we introduce a new villain, one that doesn't go away after its introduction. I think it may help anchor those audience members who aren't used to these kinds of stories.

I enjoyed the movie. My biggest complaint was the goddamn chase scene where Radagast "leads" the orcs away from the heroes. Why even have that scene if the end result is that they get cornered anyway? This scene is the pod race of the movie.
A man has no signature
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.