Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Politics and Bargaining  (Read 11131 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Politics and Bargaining
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 08:33:28 am »

What?

When someone has $1 to spend, I can't look all snug and say "Hey, you can always buy a Curse!" (Yeah, I'm not mentioning Copper) And no Bridges or Highways or Quarries, you pedantics! Shoo, shoo!

I always believe that strategic advice should be limited, but un-strategic advice: The more, the better!
Depends on the setting of course.

I suppose as long as the sarcasm is obvious, that's... OK, but not good in a tournament setting.  It's kinda akin to Bobby Fischer blowing cigar smoke in his opponents' faces: distracting and unproductive.  In addition, because you're distracting someone, and because (as discussed elsewhere) time controls are all but impossible in Dominion, you're slowing down the game.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 04:46:38 pm »

The Contraband/Envoy issue is the interesting one to me. I guess the default ruling is consistent with the "you can't tell them what to pick." It's interesting, because on the "point counter" debate my intuition is strongly that it's obviously not ok to use a point counter and here it goes the other way.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 09:06:06 am »
+1

What?

When someone has $1 to spend, I can't look all snug and say "Hey, you can always buy a Curse!" (Yeah, I'm not mentioning Copper) And no Bridges or Highways or Quarries, you pedantics! Shoo, shoo!

I always believe that strategic advice should be limited, but un-strategic advice: The more, the better!
Depends on the setting of course.

I suppose as long as the sarcasm is obvious, that's... OK, but not good in a tournament setting.  It's kinda akin to Bobby Fischer blowing cigar smoke in his opponents' faces: distracting and unproductive.  In addition, because you're distracting someone, and because (as discussed elsewhere) time controls are all but impossible in Dominion, you're slowing down the game.
As I said: Depends on the setting.
I don't usually hassle strangers. ;D

And in tournaments I'm usually quite timid. If there's a rule argued on which I'm sure about I still call over an official. Once someone tried to tell me I couldn't Throne Room cards I didn't have in my hand at the start of my turn.  ;D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 09:25:07 am »

And in tournaments I'm usually quite timid. If there's a rule argued on which I'm sure about I still call over an official. Once someone tried to tell me I couldn't Throne Room cards I didn't have in my hand at the start of my turn.  ;D

How did he know?  I mean, of course there are cases where your hand might be made public at the outset (Menagerie, Shanty Town, prior opponent's Cutpurse/Bureaucrat, etc. etc.) or what you are drawing might be public (Farming Village, Scrying Pool, etc. etc.).  But I'm asking in this particular case, how did he know that the target was not in your hand at the start of the turn?  Watching the backs of the cards to see which are the ones you have been holding versus have drawn?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 09:41:24 am »
+2

How did he know?  I mean, of course there are cases where your hand might be made public at the outset (Menagerie, Shanty Town, prior opponent's Cutpurse/Bureaucrat, etc. etc.) or what you are drawing might be public (Farming Village, Scrying Pool, etc. etc.).  But I'm asking in this particular case, how did he know that the target was not in your hand at the start of the turn?  Watching the backs of the cards to see which are the ones you have been holding versus have drawn?

Clearly someone missed the rule where Throne Room has to be the first action you play on your turn. It's in the official Dominion Tournament errata.

I mean, it's like you're saying that you can use Chapel to trash all your Copper. It's common sense that that card is for getting rid of curses. You have to understand, this game is unbalanced by design. That's why we have official Tournament Rules to make things fairer to everyone. Can you imagine if you could play Throne Room any time you wanted during your turn? I mean, that's just one step away from playing Throne Room on other people's turns. I'm going to Throne Room a Militia right after you play 4 Smithies and make you discard all those cards you just drew! Then what good would Smithy be? It's only good in the first place when you can chain them into each other, since if you don't use the Tournament rule about comboing cards of the same name, you'd need way too many Villages to play them, and there's only 2.5 or less Villages per person! (Depending on whether your division plays 4, 5, or 6 players.)

Plus, can you imagine how ridiculous it would be if someone could play a Throne Room... ON a Throne Room? You could play Militia FOUR TIMES.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 10:00:04 am »

Shanty Town.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 10:25:34 am »

Shanty Town.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 10:36:46 am »

Shanty Town.

Dnab Eborderlinenap: Davio was answering my question, not correcting me or adding to the list.

Davio: Thanks!  Pretty crazy.  And his was a good observation, too, even though his contention was obviously erroneous.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 10:47:39 am »
+1

Reading comprehension is tech.  :-[

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 05:32:37 pm »

The Contraband/Envoy issue is the interesting one to me. I guess the default ruling is consistent with the "you can't tell them what to pick." It's interesting, because on the "point counter" debate my intuition is strongly that it's obviously not ok to use a point counter and here it goes the other way.
I remember reading that it is acceptable for other people at the table to provide input to this decision. I will have to go and look for the source. Where does the default ruling you mention come from?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 07:27:18 pm »

I remember reading that it is acceptable for other people at the table to provide input to this decision. I will have to go and look for the source. Where does the default ruling you mention come from?

The default ruling is that anything not specifically permitted is disallowed.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2012, 09:30:24 pm »
+1

Princess. Remember this was specifically about Tournament play.

The problem with Shooing pedantry is that you actually attract it.

I can't stop, someone please correct me soon!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2012, 12:52:42 am »

"Shooing" should not have been capitalized.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2012, 02:23:25 am »

Yeah, it was a double bluff, but better to be shood than shoed.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2012, 03:49:54 am »

Yeah, it was a double bluff, but better to be shood than shoed.

Hey, now; I thought we were talking about Princess, not Trusty Steed...
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 20 queries.