Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Donald X.'s new game Kingdom Builder  (Read 57614 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Donald X.'s new game Kingdom Builder
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2016, 03:58:31 pm »
+3

Very excited for Harvest!

By the way, does anyone have any organizational systems they use for Kingdom Builder?  Right now the most time-consuming part of the setup is trying to find all the correct ability hexes, and I imagine this will only get worse once we get Marshlands and Harvest.

I keep each board's ability chits in its own tiny plastic bag (bought at a craft store, from the beading section I think). I still have to find the right four bags in the pile, but it's relatively fast. If you're not already doing that, I recommend it! You should never have to sort the chits you need out of a big pile of chits. The pile of bags is much "smaller".

sig

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2016, 11:36:05 am »

I like Kingdom Builder a whole lot. But I'm not convinced I should get any of the expansions.

Do you have any arguments either way?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2016, 01:35:28 pm »

I like Kingdom Builder a whole lot. But I'm not convinced I should get any of the expansions.

Do you have any arguments either way?

The expansions are fun and add fun stuff?

I mean if you're satisfied with the base game, more power to you. The expansions really ramp up the variety, though, and I crave variety.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2016, 05:34:25 pm »
+2

I also use a separate bag for each board's stuff. I just use a ziplock bag. Expansions are great!

I'm excited to see Marshlands and Harvest expansions.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2017, 06:56:03 pm »
+4

Necro this awesome game. ;)

Man I am disappointed I missed the Harvest announcement, because I probably want that new empty big box.  Marshlands fit in the original one just barely. I wonder if it will be possible to get an empty big(ger) box in any other way.

I made a randomizer for this game because it is awesome.
http://www.makingmorefun.com/kingdombuilder/randomizer/

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2017, 06:30:50 am »

Eehh i played some and the game is incredible but so far I couldn't buy it in London/Oxford/Birmingham. I hope i will buy it eventually in Liv/Man.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2017, 03:52:18 pm »

I love Kingdom Builder but haven't played any expansions. If I were to buy one, which one should I buy?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

BlackHole

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2017, 04:36:34 pm »

I love Kingdom Builder but haven't played any expansions. If I were to buy one, which one should I buy?
I don't dont own Harvest, but from the other expasions i think Marshlands is the one which pushes the game the most. The new kingdom builder cards are nice there, and the extra actions for owning two of one kind of location are super nice. But I never played this expansion with more than three players...
From Crossroads I really like the cards which reward you for fulfilling certain criteria. Of course if you want to play with 5 players purchase Nomads. Apart from that, this one is ok but it's just not as cool as Marshlands in my opinion.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 27, 2017, 06:44:39 pm »

When will Harvest be released to the general public?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2017, 01:56:35 am »
+1

When will Harvest be released to the general public?
I won't know until people say it's out.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 08, 2017, 06:19:56 pm »

Amazon says it will be released July 15.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 15, 2017, 12:03:00 pm »

Just ordered a copy of Harvest. Should have it Monday.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2017, 01:35:57 pm »
+1

Meanwhile I still have nothing from the Kickstarter. Why is Queen so bad at this?

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2017, 12:53:29 pm »

Meanwhile I still have nothing from the Kickstarter. Why is Queen so bad at this?

It looks like Tuesday. Perhaps your Kickstarter version will come Monday. Queen seems pretty inept.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2017, 01:31:27 pm »

It looks like Tuesday. Perhaps your Kickstarter version will come Monday. Queen seems pretty inept.

Queen has a history of bad communication and being slow. There are too few people doing too much work. That's at least the impression I got from the Escape Big Box kickstarter.

ben_king

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ben.king
  • formerly grsbmd
  • Respect: +612
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2017, 04:24:05 pm »

Queen has a history of bad communication and being slow. There are too few people doing too much work. That's at least the impression I got from the Escape Big Box kickstarter.

I finally got the shipment from the Kingdom Builder: Harvest Kickstarter.  It was 10 months late, but they did upgrade everyone to the Big Box for free, so I got base game + all four expansions + promos for only ~$40.  I was starting to get worried that it would never come.

It's been really fun and seems well-designed so far.  Well done Donald!  The downsides, as usual, are Queen Games-related -- rulebook, weird translations, and the poor design of the box insert.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2017, 04:37:01 pm »
+2

I finally got the shipment from the Kingdom Builder: Harvest Kickstarter.  It was 10 months late, but they did upgrade everyone to the Big Box for free, so I got base game + all four expansions + promos for only ~$40.  I was starting to get worried that it would never come.

It's been really fun and seems well-designed so far.  Well done Donald!  The downsides, as usual, are Queen Games-related -- rulebook, weird translations, and the poor design of the box insert.
Thank you, thank you. I still do not have my copies.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 31, 2017, 01:46:16 pm »

There seems to be a lot of waste in the game. This isn't Donald's fault at all. This is how they shipped it. This wouldn't be the first game where I had four or five translations of the rule book, but I think this is the first time I've seen multiple translations of the cards. I even had two copies of the English translation. I can see why they did that, since some cards have the flag on the back and some don't. Still, I have an entire deck of cards that are all useless to me. I feel like I paid for something that will never see the light of day. I guess I can offer to ship them to anyone who needs replacement cards in that language.

I've now bought another copy of the base game and the first two expansions in Germany. While my base game is German-only, I also received 5 different-language copies of each Nomads Kingdom Builder card. I don't mind the superfluous extra versions, but in my copy all the cards have a corresponding flag on the backside. This way I can distinguish the (German) base game KB cards (which have no flag) from the expansion's KB cards when shuffling them together. That's not quite as bad as printing the expansion icons of Dominion cards on the back would be, but it's still annoying. Does someone know if you can get a set of German KB cards with matching backsides from Queen Games, either all with flags or all without?

FWIW, my base game version also didn't contain any white settlements (but 80 orange ones ???), so I guess I have to make a complaint with Queen Games anyway...

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2017, 05:48:30 pm »
+1

Does someone know if you can get a set of German KB cards with matching backsides from Queen Games, either all with flags or all without?

Nevermind, they did indeed send me replacement cards with flagged backsides for the base game; now I only need to get the wrong settlements from them...

Is this the right place to ask rule questions about Kingdom Builder (or rather, its expansions)?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 15, 2017, 07:05:53 pm »
+3

Is this the right place to ask rule questions about Kingdom Builder (or rather, its expansions)?
Sure, it's one of the right places.

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2017, 03:03:58 pm »

Great, so I have the following questions:

1. Does moving a settlement due to a special ability (like Tavern or Caravan, or one of the special pieces from Crossroads) count as building them for the purposes of Families and Ambassadors?

2. Can you place the special "7 settlements hexagon" piece from City Hall anywhere on the board if there's no way to put it adjacent to your settlements, or do you just have to wait until you can place it? Can you use it to score with Fortress? (I assume so, but it seems like a too trivial synergy to me). Do the board spaces it occupies still count as part of their terrain area for the purposes of scoring points for a completed area, although the terrain is no longer visible?

(I hope I have given the right English names of the cards/ abilities, I've tried to translate most of them from the German version of the game.)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2017, 03:44:34 pm »
+2

1. Does moving a settlement due to a special ability (like Tavern or Caravan, or one of the special pieces from Crossroads) count as building them for the purposes of Families and Ambassadors?
Families only works on your three pieces placed for your terrain card; moving/building extra pieces doesn't involve it. Ambassadors only scores for building, not moving.

However the Tavern (build at the end of a line of 3 or more of your pieces) is building. The Caravan (slide a piece until it's blocked) is moving.

2. Can you place the special "7 settlements hexagon" piece from City Hall anywhere on the board if there's no way to put it adjacent to your settlements, or do you just have to wait until you can place it? Can you use it to score with Fortress? (I assume so, but it seems like a too trivial synergy to me). Do the board spaces it occupies still count as part of their terrain area for the purposes of scoring points for a completed area, although the terrain is no longer visible?
If there's no 7-hex spot adjacent to you, you can't place the City Hall at all. It can score for Fortress. Those spaces do count for their terrains for Shepherds.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 26, 2017, 06:10:21 pm »

Kingdom Builder big box 2nd edition is $10 off today at miniature market.  Maybe I'll finally buy it and see how I like it.

Is it worth it to get the big box?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 26, 2017, 06:15:55 pm »

Kingdom Builder big box 2nd edition is $10 off today at miniature market.  Maybe I'll finally buy it and see how I like it.

Is it worth it to get the big box?

If you like the game, yes. Personally I love it.

ben_king

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ben.king
  • formerly grsbmd
  • Respect: +612
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 28, 2017, 11:49:37 am »
+1

The amount of variety in the (2nd ed.) big box is just about perfect for Kingdom Builder.  There's enough that you don't see the same things too often, but not so much that you forget what the different tokens do.  I highly recommend it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.