Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: Donald X.'s new game Kingdom Builder  (Read 57655 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Donald X.'s new game Kingdom Builder
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2015, 12:30:13 am »

So, barely a week later, and apparently this expansion has been cancelled?  Any word on if any resolution has been reached between DXV and Queen Games?

The resolution is that Queen has lost the rights to publish Marshlands; they let the contract expire. Donald has decided not to sign a new contract at this time.

What would need to happen for Marshlands to be published, whether by Queen or a different company or independently somehow?  Because there certainly seems to be demand for it.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2015, 12:38:44 am »

So, barely a week later, and apparently this expansion has been cancelled?  Any word on if any resolution has been reached between DXV and Queen Games?

The resolution is that Queen has lost the rights to publish Marshlands; they let the contract expire. Donald has decided not to sign a new contract at this time.

What would need to happen for Marshlands to be published, whether by Queen or a different company or independently somehow?  Because there certainly seems to be demand for it.

Well Queen retains the right to publish Kingdom Builder, and apparently will until they decide to stop printing it (or they go under). So for someone else to publish the expansion, they'd need to obtain the rights from Queen.

As far as Queen themselves go, I'm assuming what it would take is for Donald to feel like it was worth signing a contract with them. Paying him on time for 2015 would be a good start, but I have no idea what it would actually take.

I do hope Marshlands is published someday. Queen released the rules when the Kickstarter went up and it looks like a pretty sweet expansion.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2015, 07:35:31 am »
+1

A contract with an expiration date.  What a concept.  Wonder if Jay put one of those into the Goko/MF contract.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2015, 08:30:09 pm »
+1

A contract with an expiration date.  What a concept.  Wonder if Jay put one of those into the Goko/MF contract.

Given that Donald is actually considering suing Queen games, Dominion Online could be a lot worse.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2015, 12:48:02 am »

There almost certainly is one, of some sort. What the details are, is the question. If nothing else, there's probably a clause about "if the product isn't produced by X time", but obviously a product has been produced.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 03, 2015, 01:05:02 pm »

So I just got the Kingdom Builder Big Box today (I had ordered it before I saw this whole debacle).  It's quite a lot of stuff.  For some reason it includes rules and cards in four different languages.  I mean, what am I going to do with Dutch instructions?  Would it really have been so difficult to just have different language versions?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 03, 2015, 01:45:41 pm »
+4

I don't understand the complaint. In Europe, it is not at all uncommon to have a language-light game have rules in 6+ languages. They are just easier to sell if the distribution of demand does not match the expected one, and it simplifies logistics immensely.

I know Dutch has been qualified as a throat disease, but is having extra rules actually hurting you?

EDIT: Shame, I lost the chance to post something Orwellian to celebrate the post count.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 03:05:57 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 03, 2015, 01:53:20 pm »

Yeah, if you publish for multiple language regions, it would be way easier and cheaper to just have one version that packages rules in multiple languages.

That said, I played KB at a con and there were some strange language things.  You know those cards with the VP rules, where you randomly chose 3?  That box had multiple decks with multiple languages and a flag  on the back.  The strange thing was that there was a UK deck with the flag and also a deck with no flag at all.  Both were English, identical but for the card back.  It wasn't even an American spelling thing.  Mystifying.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 03, 2015, 04:53:51 pm »

Lots of my games have multiple rules included for different languages. I'm also annoyed because my Al Hambra is a new edition; originally the different tiles and names written on them "tower", etc. But they removed those for easy of not having to print multiple languages; they removed all references to "tower" and each tile type is just represented with a different color.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 03, 2015, 10:00:19 pm »
+1

I don't understand the complaint. In Europe, it is not at all uncommon to have a language-light game have rules in 6+ languages. They are just easier to sell if the distribution of demand does not match the expected one, and it simplifies logistics immensely.

I know Dutch has been qualified as a throat disease, but is having extra rules actually hurting you?

EDIT: Shame, I lost the chance to post something Orwellian to celebrate the post count.

Each set of rules is its own ~10 page booklet.  And on top of that, each of the victory condition cards comes in four different languages, so I have 3 stacks of cards that I'm never going to use.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2015, 10:38:15 am »

This is an interesting issue for me. A pal and i are working on our own board game and we are still thinking about how to do localization. We want to include german and english, but don't think we'll be able to do pictograms that are language neutral. The only language-dependant thing in the game are the cards, though there are other components too. So, we felt we had two options: Make two versions of the game, one with all the language neutral stuff and english cards, and one in the same way with german cards; or, just print the cards in both versions (there are around 150 cards) and create a 2-language game. The second thing seemed to be much less bothersome to us, mostly because we want to crowdfund the project and don't want to get tangled up in the process of delegating two products (our first project of that kind).

So, i was wondering: Is having components in different languages really something that you feel is annoying? We are assuming a case where the multi-language product costs less than the additional effort of having two products, by the way (still need to do research on this). Should this be a big no? After all, we are not talking 10 cards, but around 150 per language (though only two languages). What would you think should be the appropriate way to handle multi-language games, wero?

Sorry for derailing this thread.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2015, 10:42:56 am »
+1

Just got kingdom builder in the mail, took out the pieces, dealt out 3 cards and one was in German... Caught me off guard, but I quickly put the German cards into a different pile.  Didn't bother me at all.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2015, 10:55:59 am »
+1

This is an interesting issue for me. A pal and i are working on our own board game and we are still thinking about how to do localization. We want to include german and english, but don't think we'll be able to do pictograms that are language neutral. The only language-dependant thing in the game are the cards, though there are other components too. So, we felt we had two options: Make two versions of the game, one with all the language neutral stuff and english cards, and one in the same way with german cards; or, just print the cards in both versions (there are around 150 cards) and create a 2-language game. The second thing seemed to be much less bothersome to us, mostly because we want to crowdfund the project and don't want to get tangled up in the process of delegating two products (our first project of that kind).

So, i was wondering: Is having components in different languages really something that you feel is annoying? We are assuming a case where the multi-language product costs less than the additional effort of having two products, by the way (still need to do research on this). Should this be a big no? After all, we are not talking 10 cards, but around 150 per language (though only two languages). What would you think should be the appropriate way to handle multi-language games, wero?

Sorry for derailing this thread.

Is it possible to have the cards have their text in both languages? My version of Resistance has the text on all cards in three languages (no pictures though).
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 07, 2015, 12:04:38 pm »
+1

So, i was wondering: Is having components in different languages really something that you feel is annoying?

I might be annoyed briefly by this, but it won't stop me from buying the game. I think that's a more important metric. I can put up with little annoyances as long as the game is a winner.

I think the only concern may be, "Why am I paying for cards that I'm never going to use?!" If it truly is cheaper to package with multi-lingual support, then go the cheap route, but I imagine some gamers may not realize that upon opening the box.
A man has no signature

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2015, 01:14:41 pm »

So, i was wondering: Is having components in different languages really something that you feel is annoying?

I might be annoyed briefly by this, but it won't stop me from buying the game. I think that's a more important metric. I can put up with little annoyances as long as the game is a winner.

I think the only concern may be, "Why am I paying for cards that I'm never going to use?!" If it truly is cheaper to package with multi-lingual support, then go the cheap route, but I imagine some gamers may not realize that upon opening the box.

Well, we don't actually know which way will be the cheapest, we still need to make the complete math. We're mostly afraid of not being able to stem the additional work of producing basically two games, i guess. Also it's currently only about a crowdfunding version of the product, so backers will have direct information on why and what. We'll make an effort to be as transparent as possible and tell them what kind of product we are doing from the start (when the project goes live).

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2015, 01:42:22 pm »
+1

Is it possible to have the cards have their text in both languages? My version of Resistance has the text on all cards in three languages (no pictures though).

Possible, sure. But i really feel it destroys the atmosphere of the game. We are probably going to add pictograms either way, but card names at the very least are going to stay. Not only for thematical reasons (names will provide a bit of lighthearted humour), but for one category of cards the names are actually part of the game concept. Partially, it's a game about names. You can't talk about a name as well if the name has two names... Also, i'm not sure how important cards are for "The Resistance", but our game has quite a few of them (quite a few different ones, too), so i think it would make for a more confusing/less enjoyable experience to have multi-language cards.

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for derailing, again.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2015, 05:38:11 pm »
+1

Concordia comes with both German and English cards.  There aren't quite as many as 150, but there are probably more than 50.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 25, 2015, 02:07:11 am »

For those of you who are interested, Marshlands is up on Kickstarter.  I guess Donald X. and Queen Games resolved their issues.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 25, 2015, 10:53:32 am »

For those of you who are interested, Marshlands is up on Kickstarter.  I guess Donald X. and Queen Games resolved their issues.

Hurrah!  Hooray for actually paying people what you promised to pay them.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2016, 05:55:50 pm »

I missed the Kickstarter campaign. Any idea when Marshlands will be released to the general public?
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2016, 06:03:05 pm »

I missed the Kickstarter campaign. Any idea when Marshlands will be released to the general public?
I don't know of any announcements there. However Greed similarly was expected via Kickstarter in June, and Greed showed up in stores around October (based on the date of me posting the secret history).

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2016, 05:21:54 pm »

The 4th expansion has been announced (and Kickstarted)! Harvest, it's called. I don't have inside info about this one, so it's been fun to speculate based on the images Queen has provided.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2016, 05:34:55 pm »

The 4th expansion has been announced (and Kickstarted)! Harvest, it's called. I don't have inside info about this one, so it's been fun to speculate based on the images Queen has provided.

lol SUPER BIGGEST BOX

Is Marshlands even available yet?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2016, 05:45:03 pm »

lol SUPER BIGGEST BOX

Is Marshlands even available yet?

Nope. Although it probably would be if their first Kickstarter had gone to term. I'm glad they're not pushing back Harvest for it, though I may be in the minority there.

ben_king

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ben.king
  • formerly grsbmd
  • Respect: +612
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2016, 01:41:10 pm »
+1

Very excited for Harvest!

By the way, does anyone have any organizational systems they use for Kingdom Builder?  Right now the most time-consuming part of the setup is trying to find all the correct ability hexes, and I imagine this will only get worse once we get Marshlands and Harvest.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.