Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: Donald X.'s new game Kingdom Builder  (Read 57629 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Donald X.'s new game Kingdom Builder
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2014, 05:28:11 pm »

also i'm googling this now and what, really, no one else uses that term?  i seriously thought that was the standard term, it was the only one i've ever heard

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2014, 05:32:28 pm »
+2

Turns out that's what it's known as in fantasy football but not in boardgaming.  Well, folks, you saw it here first: the re-appropriation of the word "snake" to describe turn order in board games.  This is a historical etymological moment.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2014, 05:34:52 pm »
+2

Turns out that's what it's known as in fantasy football but not in boardgaming.  Well, folks, you saw it here first: the re-appropriation of the word "snake" to describe turn order in board games.  This is a historical etymological moment.

First reply!
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2014, 05:50:47 pm »

We have always called it a "switchback start.". Though the meaning of snaked was immediately obvious to me as well.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2014, 06:25:14 pm »

I'm fairly used to this being described with the word snake. Like a snake draft of cards or things.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2014, 08:48:42 am »
+1

We have always called it a "switchback start.". Though the meaning of snaked was immediately obvious to me as well.

Considering that the first thing I think of when I hear "snake" is the Ouroboros, this was not obvious to me at all. But that's really a me thing.

Since it comes from fantasy football, I dislike the use of "snake." I'm calling it oscillating. Power to the nerds!
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2014, 08:51:57 am »

Considering that the first thing I think of when I hear "snake" is the Ouroboros, this was not obvious to me at all. But that's really a me thing.

Since it comes from fantasy football, I dislike the use of "snake." I'm calling it oscillating. Power to the nerds!

Every single person I know who plays fantasy football could also be classified as a nerd.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2014, 07:03:13 pm »

Every single person I know who plays fantasy football could also be classified as a nerd.

Basically everyone I know could be classified as a nerd... That's kind of a frightening thought, especially since even amongst them I am a nerd.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2014, 07:19:06 pm »

Basically everyone I know could be classified as a nerd... That's kind of a frightening thought, especially since even amongst them I am a nerd.

How are you people classifying nerd? I would not classify most of my friends, some of whom play fantasy football, as nerds.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2014, 08:29:04 pm »

I would go further and say that I would not classify the majority of those I know who play fantasy football as nerds.  Fantasy [any other sport], though, yes, most definitely.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2014, 08:58:17 am »

How are you people classifying nerd? I would not classify most of my friends, some of whom play fantasy football, as nerds.

In the specific case of fantasy football, all my friends who partake also play D&D.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2014, 09:00:00 am »
+1

So I was going to say something about how we could do a nerdception thing and create Fantasy StarCraft...

...and then I googled it, and yes, it already exists.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2014, 01:38:11 pm »
+5

So I was going to say something about how we could do a nerdception thing and create Fantasy StarCraft...

How about fantasy fantasy starcraft, where you try to get a team of the best fantasy starcraft players?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2014, 02:24:28 pm »

I would go further and say that I would not classify the majority of those I know who play fantasy football as nerds.  Fantasy [any other sport], though, yes, most definitely.

Fantasy Dominion players?  Quite often nerds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2014, 02:27:58 pm »

How about fantasy fantasy starcraft, where you try to get a team of the best fantasy starcraft players?

Oooh.. recursive fantasy sports.  That's a good idea.  I think you should start with football, though, because there are so many fantasy football players.  Once fantasy^2 football gets going, we can move onto fantasy^3 football and so on.  The analysis can suddenly get very complex as you can consider how one event on the base level can influence the nth order.

Suddenly, football has been brought into the realm of the nerdy.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2015, 09:39:42 pm »
+1

Next expansion finally announced: Marshlands! Apparently it has a new terrain type (marshlands) and abilities that get stronger when you obtain two copies of them.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2015, 11:51:39 pm »
+4

And in a bit of convenient timing, I believe it's also the game being played on Wil Wheaton's TableTop series this week.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2015, 02:35:59 am »
+4

And in a bit of convenient timing, I believe it's also the game being played on Wil Wheaton's TableTop series this week.
Oh sweet.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2015, 12:41:52 pm »

Nice, I've been looking forward to that since I saw it on the schedule a few months ago. I haven't watched TableTop in a while, but I'm interested to see that episode.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2015, 03:49:42 pm »
+1

They seem to be making the normal amount of rules mistakes that Tabletop makes.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2015, 04:48:44 pm »

Not bad. Really the only mistake they made was allowing you to play extra actions on the same turn you obtain them. That makes a difference, of course, but it didn't really detract from the gameplay in their game.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2015, 07:52:21 pm »

Not bad. Really the only mistake they made was allowing you to play extra actions on the same turn you obtain them. That makes a difference, of course, but it didn't really detract from the gameplay in their game.

They misplayed the Tavern a couple times, but I guess that's no biggie.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2015, 10:06:04 pm »

Comments in other places say that they messed up more than that.  I'm not familiar enough with Kingdom Builder to say though.  Something about bonus tile placement.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2015, 06:35:30 pm »

So, barely a week later, and apparently this expansion has been cancelled?  Any word on if any resolution has been reached between DXV and Queen Games?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2015, 10:56:14 pm »

So, barely a week later, and apparently this expansion has been cancelled?  Any word on if any resolution has been reached between DXV and Queen Games?

The resolution is that Queen has lost the rights to publish Marshlands; they let the contract expire. Donald has decided not to sign a new contract at this time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.