Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Cornucopia?  (Read 24311 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Cornucopia?
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2012, 11:18:15 pm »
+2

Yes. I could see them having separate piles for each Prize on the second screen, which would be inelegant, but make naming the Prizes much easier when playing Wishing Well, Mystic, etc. It would be optimal if those 'piles' only appeared when you played Wishing Well, Mystic, etc. but I don't see that as likely.
The Prizes are all separate piles on the 2nd screen.

What I MEANT was if there was a pop up, like when you look at the Trash pile, or when a card is revealing from your deck.  Because the only time you care about the Prizes is when you're winning a Tournament.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2012, 11:34:31 pm »

Yes. I could see them having separate piles for each Prize on the second screen, which would be inelegant, but make naming the Prizes much easier when playing Wishing Well, Mystic, etc. It would be optimal if those 'piles' only appeared when you played Wishing Well, Mystic, etc. but I don't see that as likely.

What I MEANT was if there was a pop up, like when you look at the Trash pile, or when a card is revealing from your deck.  Because the only time you care about the Prizes is when you're winning a Tournament.

Yes, I'm perfectly aware that's what you meant. When I first though about a good interface for the Prizes, that's what I pictured too. Then I thought about what Goko would actually do and I figured they would make a separate pile for each prize, because it's less work for them and it makes the 'name a card' interface easier. Turns out I was right.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2012, 11:52:33 pm »
+1

Yes, I'm perfectly aware that's what you meant. When I first though about a good interface for the Prizes, that's what I pictured too. Then I thought about what Goko would actually do and I figured they would make a separate pile for each prize, because it's less work for them and it makes the 'name a card' interface easier. Turns out I was right.

TO be fair it ALSO fixes the problems that knights have where once its in your deck theres no good way to view the text on the card.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2012, 11:32:43 am »

Cornucopia is available this morning!
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2012, 11:40:44 am »

TO be fair it ALSO fixes the problems that knights have where once its in your deck theres no good way to view the text on the card.

Sarcasm detector is broken... is this a joke about how they might make a separate pile for each Knight as well? Because there's no good reason that you should be able to view the text on a Knight card that's already in your deck, unless it's in your hand or in play.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2012, 11:43:06 am »

Sarcasm detector is broken... is this a joke about how they might make a separate pile for each Knight as well? Because there's no good reason that you should be able to view the text on a Knight card that's already in your deck, unless it's in your hand or in play.

Its not sarcasm and I sure hope they don't but currently when the knight is in your hand if you want to read it you have to drag it around to see which one it is, I haven't played enough with knights to remember that Dame Molly is +2 actions yet and so on.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2012, 11:44:15 am »

The bane card is marked with a purple star on either side of it and the HIGHEST cost card goes to the second tab

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2012, 12:06:01 pm »

The bane card is marked with a purple star on either side of it and the HIGHEST cost card goes to the second tab

Well this is sure to happen at least once:

"WTF? How'd you get a King's Court?? You cheater!!"
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2012, 12:07:00 pm »

Yeah, if they have to have a Kingdom card on the second page, it'd be nice if it were the Bane card.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2012, 12:07:43 pm »
+15

I don't get what everyone's complaining about... when I play Dominion in real life, I ALWAYS set up another table in the next room with the most expensive card and the Ruins on it. Only players who like to randomly go exploring in my house get to buy those cards.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

pinkymadigan

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2012, 12:19:31 pm »
+1

I don't get what everyone's complaining about... when I play Dominion in real life, I ALWAYS set up another table in the next room with the most expensive card and the Ruins on it. Only players who like to randomly go exploring in my house get to buy those cards.

On a related note, do not attempt to let hot Lasagna shoot out your nose. It hurts.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2012, 01:48:42 pm »

So I could not resist and played a game with the following kingdom:

Pirate Ship
Native Village
Island
Trade Route
Goons
Young Witch
Tournament
Hermit
Knights
Marauder
Urchin (bane)

Shelters, Colonies and Platinum

There were two full pages of cards (Goons went to the second, together with Prizes, Spoils, Ruins, Mercenary and Madman). The card display had 4 pages (36 different cards in the kingdom, should have added Fairgrounds but this would simplify setup).

I opened Urchin/Marauder, bot Urchin/Young Witch and proceeded to Curse me, which I tried to counter with Ruins and extra economy from Spoils. We both bought mainly various attacks. The game ended on 3 piles (Curses, Ruins, Native Villages we both wanted to play attacks) with 6-6 tie after 20 turns - log: http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20121213/log.50893139a2e67cff211cd7e5.1355423925554.txt

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2012, 02:28:28 pm »

So I could not resist and played a game with the following kingdom:

Pirate Ship
Native Village
Island
Trade Route
Goons
Young Witch
Tournament
Hermit
Knights
Marauder
Urchin (bane)

Shelters, Colonies and Platinum

There were two full pages of cards (Goons went to the second, together with Prizes, Spoils, Ruins, Mercenary and Madman). The card display had 4 pages (36 different cards in the kingdom, should have added Fairgrounds but this would simplify setup).

I opened Urchin/Marauder, bot Urchin/Young Witch and proceeded to Curse me, which I tried to counter with Ruins and extra economy from Spoils. We both bought mainly various attacks. The game ended on 3 piles (Curses, Ruins, Native Villages we both wanted to play attacks) with 6-6 tie after 20 turns - log: http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20121213/log.50893139a2e67cff211cd7e5.1355423925554.txt

Man, I wish you'd kept a screenshot of that.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

hsiale

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2012, 04:23:57 pm »

I kept the kingdom, so it was no problem replaying the game, and this time doing it the way that screenshots show full power of those cards. I put something on all 5 mats used in the game (which was not that easy, because the bot, after initial Young Witch cursing, went for multiple Knights and trashed my Goons and Pirate Ships before I could use them.

The main screen:
http://img105.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=429285412_img1_122_449lo.jpg

Cards page 2:
http://img120.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=429270326_img2_122_342lo.jpg

40 cards in the Trash just before I buy last Estate to end the game:
http://img203.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=429258671_img3_122_118lo.jpg
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 04:31:20 pm by hsiale »

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2012, 04:25:29 pm »

I kept the kingdom, so it was no problem replaying the game, and this time doing it the way that screenshots show full power of those cards. I put something on all 5 mats used in the game (which was not that easy, because the bot, after initial Young Witch cursing, went for multiple Knights and trashed my Goons and Pirate Ships before I could use them.

The main screen:
http://img105.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-24987/loc449/429285412_img1_122_449lo.jpg

Cards page 2:
http://img120.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-21193/loc342/429270326_img2_122_342lo.jpg

40 cards in the Trash just before I buy last Estate to end the game:
http://img203.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=429258671_img3_122_118lo.jpg

The first 2 don't work for me.

hsiale

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2012, 04:31:38 pm »

All 3 should work now.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2012, 04:40:32 pm »

I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2012, 04:41:49 pm »

Work for me.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2012, 04:45:15 pm »
+1

Are there buttons that let you choose whether you want to gain a Prize or a Duchy? If not, I'm guessing there's a bug where you're forced to gain a Prize when the Duchies run out and vice versa.

I stand corrected! There's a Gain Nothing button for when the Prizes or Duchies run out. Kudos to Goko!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2012, 04:47:33 pm »

The card display had 4 pages (36 different cards in the kingdom, should have added Fairgrounds but this would simplify setup).

I guess I'm not seeing what had four pages...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2012, 04:47:48 pm »

Work for me.

Me too. Also I cannot figure out any rhyme or reason to how the cards are arranged on the second page...it hurts my brain.

For those who apparently still can't see the image:
first row: Spoils, Mercenary, Diadem, Princess, Ruins
second row: Goons, Madman, Bag of Gold, Followers, Trusty Steed
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2012, 05:08:38 pm »

Ruins should probably be on the left (it's a kingdom card). It's probably determined by the order of the kingdom cards - bear in mind kingdom cards are costed from bottom left to top right, going right first.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2012, 05:09:56 pm »

Ruins should probably be on the left (it's a kingdom card). It's probably determined by the order of the kingdom cards - bear in mind kingdom cards are costed from bottom left to top right, going right first.

Maurader is top left and spoils are top left and top right.

hsiale

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2012, 05:10:16 pm »

The card display had 4 pages (36 different cards in the kingdom, should have added Fairgrounds but this would simplify setup).

I guess I'm not seeing what had four pages...
There are 4 buttons above the trash. If you click the top right one you will see non-basic cards used in this game. In standard games there are 10 of them and they fit on one screen. Here 4 screens are needed (10 Knights, 9 kingdom cards and the bane, Spoils, 5 Ruins, 5 Prizes, 3 Shelters, Madman and Mercenary).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2012, 05:22:42 pm »
+1

How did your trash double up?  I just played a Rats/Knights game where the trash did not double up, and it was impossible to tell what you were picking up with Graverobber.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.