Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Author Topic: Rats! Division (Losers Bracket) - Bracket and Results  (Read 61383 times)

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
Re: Rats! Division (Losers Bracket) - Bracket and Results
« Reply #175 on: January 22, 2013, 05:51:08 pm »
+1

Fun fact: With five players remaining, all four divisions are still represented, along with the "missed the main tournament" division.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2013, 10:04:44 pm »
+2

mith 4-3 ibavly

Game 1: ibavly 17-3 mith
Game 2: mith 49-49 ibavly
Game 3: mith 27-37 ibavly
Game 4: mith 36-17 ibavly
Game 5: ibavly 53-28 mith
Game 6: mith 18-resigned ibavly
Game 7: ibavly 28-33 mith
Game 8: ibavly 14-20 mith

Yikes, that was exhausting.

Game 1 - Quarry with lots of expensive goodies (Expand, King's Court, Grand Market). I can live with Minion/Minion vs. his Expand/nothing on the first shuffle... what killed me was his playing Minion for the first time on turn 10, when I'm holding both my Quarrys and a Grand Market. After that, it just snowballed and there wasn't much I could do.

Game 2 - Heartbreaking tie. Pretty much a mirror Wharf/Remodel game, where I got slightly better luck early with collisions (though not great luck by any means). Turn 15 I don't break PPR, as he just played a Wharf and I'd only be up 7 (I think?); turn 16 I don't break it again, figuring enough of a cushion with Duchy/Tunnel means I only have to worry about him buying both. I think the latter is a mistake, but I was scared of Remodel/Gold (and he did in fact have it in hand, though he couldn't have afforded the Duchy). As a result of all this greening I can't get back to 8, and on the last turn I buy three Estates to ensure a win if he can't get the last two green cards for an even split of all the points.

Game 3 - Pirate Ship into KC/Expand. I overtrashed with Apprentice and Expand, figuring I could get down to KC/Expand/Province/Province/Province and then empty the pile, but I didn't get there fast enough and then I was stuck drawing bad hands.

Game 4 - Crossroads/Baron/Goons. He went for University and Embargos the Walled Villages to hamper my Goons scoring, so I grab a Potion as well to make sure I have plenty of actions, then start emptying the Estates to go for a quick three-pile. It very nearly gets away from me, but I finally hit a big hand for Crossroads to finish it off.

Game 5 - I got lost here in the options. ibavly goes for Loan early to trash, which I don't get until later, and I also over invest in Lighthouses. Goons is important, but while I'm buying Lighthouse he's buying Platinum, and that's never going to end well.

Game 6 - Definitely my best played game. Lookout/Quarry vs. Silver/Quarry, with Nobles and Haggler as the key cards. Pawn is crucial for the +Buy, and in 9 turns I have a 6/2 Nobles split and 5 Bazaars to go with them.

Game 7 - I went for the cute combo, and it was very nearly too slow. Steward Trashing into Highway/DoubleTactician. He starts greening quickly with Steward/BM, and picks up a Saboteur to hit at my key cards, so after the first double Province buy I have to detour for Duchies. Fortunately I'm able to hold it together for four turns (not needing all my Highways for Duchies, and having coins to make up the difference on the last turn).

Game 8 - Really tense Torturer game, where ibavly gets the bad luck and I still very nearly blow it. I opened Silver/Feast to get double Torturers and a Mining Village on my first shuffle, he opens Scheme/Horse Traders. Turn 9 he draws all three of his Torturers, and those are the last he'll get as I start to build a massive engine while he can't do much but take Curses. On turn 18 I finally buy a Province, and think I have it locked up, with only a single Mining Village and Curse left, but when he starts trashing his Mining Villages to buy the Province he urgently needs I forget he has the +Buy from HT and stupidly take the last Curse. After he manages Province/Duchy to take the lead, it's an ugly greening struggle to stay ahead so opponent can't three pile, but finally I pull ahead for good... and then it takes me five more turns to empty the last three Estates.

Thanks for the match, ibavly!

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #177 on: January 27, 2013, 06:34:48 pm »

Antonidas 2-2 mith (to be resumed tomorrow)

Game 1: Antonidas 51-33 mith
Game 2: mith 45-46 Antonidas
Game 3: mith 69-57 Antonidas
Game 4: Antonidas 20-25 mith

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #178 on: January 28, 2013, 09:11:53 pm »
+3

mith 4-3 Antonidas

Game 1: Antonidas 51-33 mith
Game 2: mith 45-46 Antonidas
Game 3: mith 69-57 Antonidas
Game 4: Antonidas 20-25 mith

Game 5: Antonidas 30-30 mith
Game 6: Antonidas 18-39 mith
Game 7: Antonidas 58-50 mith
Game 8: mith 43-33 Antonidas

My third 8 game match of the tournaments, eesh.

Game 1 - Oracle/Silver to open, and opponent gets a first shuffle Gold. I think the early Margrave for me is probably a mistake anyway (too many collisions), but Treasury/Treasury doesn't thrill me either (with Margrave eventually coming into play, stacking a bunch of them on top of my deck doesn't help as much). Anyway, I never recovered after that.

Game 2 - For some reason I decided Horn of Plenty would get me ramped up faster than Merchant Ship. I don't know what I was thinking. Anyway, I'm going for some sort of Farming Village/Conspirator/Horn of Plenty thing, with Goons of course, but he gets to the Goons so much faster that I'm struggling to catch up the whole game. Neither of us ever hits double Goons (though for my part, it's because I only had two and it took a while even to get those), so his Islands are key to hanging on long enough to three pile.

Game 3 - I was initially going for the golden deck combo, and got frustrated with my shuffles so I trashed my Chapel early and started buying some Ventures. Anyway, I ended up with a pretty consistent Province-buying machine, with one Colony thrown in for good measure. Meanwhile, he built up with Tactician, Expand, Throne Room, and Possession, not realizing at first that the Bishop points would go to me. He still nearly caught me with some double Possessions... not sure if there's a winning engine deck here, or if I just played Bishop/Chapel clumsily and let him back in it.

Game 4 - This one I definitely think the engine is better, so I was fortunate to steal it. My thinking was doubleJack initially with Mountebanks doing damage and Inn for actions (which works nicely with Jack anyway), but he Embargoed Jack so I only took one. In retrospect, Jack giving me all those Silvers is slowing me way down. Anyway, I start buying points wherever I can, including Harem - maybe rushing Duchy is better, I dunno. With Curses gone and Harems soon to follow, I see that Inn is getting low as well, and hope that I can finish it off before he catches me. It's close, but I'm helped by how large his deck is - he has to buy Inn sometimes to put his actions back on top and keep the thing going, and needs them for actions with all those terminals anyway. That said, I think just gaining one or two less would have been enough to catch me?

Game 5 - I had a cute idea here, with Steward trashing into Quarry/Market, but the additional actions weren't ideal - Tribute and Rabble. I finally hit a big turn at the end, needing two Provinces to tie, but until then I just wasn't getting good results with Tribute.

Game 6 - This was just an ugly game, I'm not even sure what happened in it. Watchtowers for protection against Mountebanks and IGG, Walled Village for actions, Pawn for hand-reduction for money... Spice Merchant and Loan for getting rid of Coppers, but even with that it was tough to get anything consistent going. Opponent bought a Mint early which I think was a mistake, as he had too little money (and still not a clean engine, with Estates and Curses). Anyway, once I had a lead in Provinces and saw how ugly my deck was getting, I started buying Duchies as often as possible, and emptied the Pawns when I couldn't do that.

Game 7 - I tried another combo I don't really understand (Horse Traders/Duke) while he went for Philosopher's Stone/Wharf. When looking at the board I glanced at Wharf and thought "Wharf is great, but terminal card draw isn't going to be fast enough against HT/Duke", and completely missed how much the +Buy would help. He managed to split the Duchies evenly, and I tried Silk Roads and Estates as a backup plan, but he was too fast.

Game 8 - A clear Vault/Tunnel board, but how to get there? I opted for Potion/Tunnel, with University to gain all the Vaults I could want, while he went Silver/Silver. I get the 5-3 Tunnel split (he could make it 4-4 on turn 9, but opts for Gold; hard to say this is the wrong play since he was behind on Golds as well, but the point swing was nice). Because of University, I don't have to buy a Vault all game, and can start winning the Duchy split as well, so even if I fail to draw Gold on my last turn I would go up 7 with a Duchy buy. Anyway, on top of everything else I had first player advantage, and this game had a really quick ending once we were up and running, with 8 Provinces in 9 turns combined.

Thanks for the series, Antonidas!

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #181 on: February 04, 2013, 08:24:35 pm »

Congrats, SphinX!

I got totally outplayed in the first two, and probably the third as well (though I did get a little unlucky there). The fourth I hit $7 far too often, and then stalled spectacularly after getting my fourth Province (needing five after losing the curse battle).

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 05, 2013, 03:48:03 am »

Congrats SphinX.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.