Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Another board which overwhelmed me  (Read 1066 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Another board which overwhelmed me
« on: December 10, 2012, 08:21:26 am »

I don't have the logs, but yesterday I played another game which overwhelmed me. One of my biggest weaknesses is that on boards with several power cards, I really have a hard time prioritizing the buys.
The board contained: University, Scheme, Salvager, Apprentice, Ghost Ship, Torturer, Wharf, Witch and 2 other cards I don't remember (which didn't get bought AFAIR)

How would you open here? In which order would you have bought the strong $5s?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:33:22 am by Qvist »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
Re: Another board which overwhelmed me
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 09:37:32 am »
+1

Yeah, tough one.

I'd skip Torturer. I think between them Witch, Wharf and Ghost Ship do everything Torturer does but better.
I'd definitely get Universities. Much more interesting than not getting them (assuming there are no more Villages in the other cards). I think they will have the problem that a) they are hard to amass and b) you'll probably end up playing them for just the actions  (once the Schemes are gone) to keep from getting too many terminals.

I think I'd either open Salvager/Silver or Potion/SchemeSilver, and use my first $4 buy to pick up the other $4 card. In terms of the $5 cards I'd probably go Witch, Witch, Wharf, Ghost Ship and then more Wharves.

No idea if this would be anywhere close to optimal, but it's probably close to what I'd do.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 09:40:00 am by Jimmmmm »

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 11:40:40 am »

I just added Apprentice, another $5 that was important that I forgot. But of the other 2 cards, there were no other village.
The problem here is that you get slowed down by a ton if you get hit by a Ghost Ship/Torturer and you need to get the draw fast.
I opened Potion/Silver and got Salvager/University on turn 3/4. Until here it's pretty obvious. But then?
I'm not sure, but I think my buying/gain order was Ghost Ship / Witch / Wharf, but got couldn't get to play my Wharf until I got hit by heavy attacks. Then I couldn't recover while my opponent got more key $5s and slowing me more down and drawing more with Wharf/Apprentice. I think it would be best to get 1-2 Wharves first and then the attacks, but I'm really not sure. Also, Torturer is not that bad as it draws one card more than the other attacks and the draw is really important. If you can play Ghost Ship and then Torturer, that really hurts. Especially if you take curses and then get hit by another Ghost Ship.

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 11:49:54 am »

I think I'd start with at least two Wharves before doing anything else (well, other than trying to get Universities).  That'll kind of make their Ghost Ship not matter as much.  Okay, maybe Wharf/Witch/Wharf if it looks like I need to slow things down.  I really want to get into a "drawing most of my deck" cycle ASAP though.

Edit to add: Torturer may not sting quite as much if you can mix in an Apprentice or two in the midgame, plus with Witch out the curses may be gone soon enough anyway.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:52:08 am by DWetzel »

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 12:59:59 pm »
+1

You definitely don't want Ghost Ship first, if you want it at all. Since University is the only village, you're not going to be able to play many terminals, and you probably want them to be Wharves. With Wharf, Ghost Ship is really not that worthwhile an attack. I'd probably go Witch first, then a couple Wharves, then Apprentice, and more Wharves and Apprentices. Not sure if you might want to delay the Witch a bit though.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.