Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: An interesting game  (Read 980 times)

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
An interesting game
« on: December 08, 2012, 07:19:48 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/08/game-20121208-161213-7cc5af41.html

This game was an awful slog that we both played rather poorly. Despite this I feel it has huge potential for a crazy Goons megaturn with Crossroads/Villages/Great Hall. How would you go about trying to create one, keeping in mind Young Witch? Should we just have focused on hitting 6 to get lots of goons early, and then used the +buys to fill in the rest?

Also, as a bonus, check out the end for a weird comeback.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: An interesting game
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 08:06:15 pm »
+1

I think you want to open YW-GH (maybe as player 2 if you see your opponent do something particular, you can adjust this a slight bit on turn 2...). Really race the GH for a good while, pick up a few xroads. Eventually you want other villages, but not too soon. Your big issue is that your big draw card is crossroads, and goons will disrupt that. Of course, SCOUT CAN HELP. But I just can't really believe in that. So I actually think you don't want to wait around too long for big mega-goons hands - you're going to be pretty lucky to get even triples. Well... you can't get it reliably, but as we all know, getting it just once can be huge. On the other hand, a single hand of three is worth how many more spread-out hands? And you certainly want lots of SR and such as well. And the more I think, the more you really want to win the GH split. On the other hand, you don't want to piledrive them or something while your opponent plays money/goons. So you have to be somewhat reactive. But you MIGHT actually go for GH/GH here. Obviously at some point go xroads (maybe over silver). If your opp skimps on GH, go YW to punish. But anyway, yeah, very reactive and interactive.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 08:05:18 pm »
+1

For what it's worth, Scout-NV or Cartographer-NV can remove Treasures from your deck so that it'll pull more Victory cards into your hand. It's really, really slow, though.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 09:23:07 am »

For what it's worth, Scout-NV or Cartographer-NV can remove Treasures from your deck so that it'll pull more Victory cards into your hand. It's really, really slow, though.

Yes!  I love finding ways to make NV a pseudo-trasher.  It doesn't happen often, but when it works, it is very fun.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.