Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Humiliation  (Read 6134 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
Humiliation
« on: December 07, 2012, 10:46:01 pm »
+2

Please just explain to me why I lost: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/07/game-20121207-194414-67595e0d.html

For now, I'll be crying in the corner of the room.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
Re: Humiliation
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 11:00:54 pm »
+4

He bought a village turn 1, that is why.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 11:08:17 pm »

Was it me? Was it me?

Oh.  :( Wasn't me.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 11:12:53 pm »
+3

Because of his username.
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 11:13:21 pm »
+2

Your terminals collided turn 6, costing you an attack play.

He also buys his Steward turn 5, and begins trashing on turn 7, whereas you don't purchase your first Steward until turn 13. He was able to clear out the curses as quickly as you handed them out.

Plus, you know. That awesome Village opening of his.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:14:30 pm by Galzria »

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 12:17:49 am »
+2

Now that I think about it, a Village opening isn't that bad here. You want Militia early to deny $5, you want Steward early to deal with potential curses, and opening Militia/Steward is pretty bad. Because if you keep trashing with Steward, you're just asking for terminal collisions early on.

I'm still not sold on it, but I can see why Village/Militia was chosen.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 12:19:17 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 04:43:27 am »
+3

I'm also not convinced, because I'm pretty sure Militia/Steward is way better than Militia/Village here. Militia/Village is only better if they clash, and the difference is a single card; Militia/Steward is amazing if you get them split on Turns 3/4, and if they clash you might get Militiaed anyway.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 06:52:05 am »

Your opponent had 3 Wharves in play on the last turn.  Perhaps you should have bought a Duchy?  Your deck is much worse than your opponent's, so you aren't going to win the long game, but you might be able to snatch the 3-pile from them.

sparky5856

• Bishop
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 03:18:27 pm »

I think it was the trashing that did it. I would have incorporated at least one Steward in my engine very early on, especially with curses floating around.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 06:55:57 pm »

I think Militia/Steward is not that bad, but Steward Silver is probably better. It's going to be an engine game, and there is a strong trasher, so why not open with it?

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 07:01:03 pm »

I think Militia/Steward is not that bad, but Steward Silver is probably better. It's going to be an engine game, and there is a strong trasher, so why not open with it?

The problem with opening with it against Militia is that if/when your opponent Militias you, you're forced to choose between doing absolutely nothing and discarding 2/trashing 2, or waiting until next cycle to trash.

I think the correct opening is going to be Militia/Silver, and grab, with the goal of Witch/Steward turns 3/4 if possible, and then mixing in the villages and wharves from there based on what your hand let's you do.

Mafia Record:

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 07:05:22 pm »
+2

I don't know, I think that if you want to trash, you want to start early. Your Steward hands are bound to be nearly useless anyway unless you draw Silver/Copper for a Village, so even if you get hit by Militia and are forced to play either Militia or Steward, then play Steward for the tighter deck.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 07:15:05 pm »
+4

The problem with opening with it against Militia is that if/when your opponent Militias you, you're forced to choose between doing absolutely nothing and discarding 2/trashing 2, or waiting until next cycle to trash.
Getting hit by Militia on a Steward turn is actually better than getting hit by Militia on a turn where you intend to buy something expensive, so actually opening Steward is better against Militia.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 02:14:15 am »
+5

No Scout on the board.  You were doomed form the start.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jupiter

• Swindler
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 08:58:24 pm »
+2

You lost because you scored less points than lucky.one. Pretty simple.

Also, it was probably because of his Wharf the first reshuffle. Early Wharfs, like shown here can decide the game.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 10:03:03 pm »
+2

Wow... that was hard to read. Early on it kept looking like you made better decisions than him, but he kept getting somewhere. I think your turn 13 really did you in... it doesn't show what you drew from your Wharfs, but for a turn where you started with 9 cards in hand, it had to have been a really unlucky hand to have done so little with it. Also, he seemed to always draw his Steward and Curse together immediately after you Curse him each time.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 12:20:51 am »
+2

No Scout on the board.  You were doomed form the start.

Seriously, it took us this long to make the joke?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 12:24:31 am »
+1

Wow... that was hard to read. Early on it kept looking like you made better decisions than him, but he kept getting somewhere. I think your turn 13 really did you in... it doesn't show what you drew from your Wharfs, but for a turn where you started with 9 cards in hand, it had to have been a really unlucky hand to have done so little with it. Also, he seemed to always draw his Steward and Curse together immediately after you Curse him each time.

By turn 13 I'm just losing my mind that my Witch, which I got so much earlier than him, is not damaging him remotely in the slightest.

I do think an opening that incorporates Steward is probably better here than one that incorporates Militia, so I don't think I had the perfect opening. I should probably go Steward/Militia or Steward/Silver.

... but he didn't open Steward either. He opened Village/Militia! That's GOT to be even worse. And it killed me.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 01:06:15 am »

... but he didn't open Steward either. He opened Village/Militia! That's GOT to be even worse. And it killed me.
Well clearly he got some luck in the beginning, and that's all it takes to win a Wharf game. They spiral out of control fast. He got 2 Wharves, a trasher, and 2 Villages before you got to play your Witch. So at that point, he can kill Curses as fast as you can hand them out.

cherdano

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 06:47:31 am »

Maybe I am out there, but I think all the early comments are missing the point.

I think lucky one is right that you should build a wharf semi-engine here first, and then pick up a steward for trashing and a witch later. Wharves don't mind coppers, so you only really want the trasher for estates and curses. And with your engine going, you can trash those pretty quickly. Similarly, I think you have a good chance of catching up on the curses race if you buy the witch a few turns later, but then you can play it almost every turn.

I think opening militia/steward is pretty bad here (and I am a big fan of steward openings). You really want to pick up that wharf (or witch if you disagree with my opinion above) on turn 3/4, and then you have three terminals with at most one village - and you hoped to trash some cards too! Opponent's militia also makes the early steward much less effective. If you want top open steward at all, I think it should be steward/silver.

I am really curious what others think.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 06:57:55 am »

You'd be hard-pressed to get an engine going at all, much less find the cards that you want to trash, if you skip the trashing first and let your opponent inundate you with Curses.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 02:03:02 pm »

By turn 13 I'm just losing my mind that my Witch, which I got so much earlier than him, is not damaging him remotely in the slightest.

I do think an opening that incorporates Steward is probably better here than one that incorporates Militia, so I don't think I had the perfect opening. I should probably go Steward/Militia or Steward/Silver.

Wish I'd saved the log (Darn you, CouncilRoom!), but I lost a game a few weeks ago against someone who opened Potion on a board where Golem was the only Potion-cost, then proceeded to buy 2 Scouts, and repeatedly Golem'd into the 2 Scouts. With no Action-Victory on the board. It was a terrible, terrible strategy. But luck is indeed a big part of the game.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 02:34:00 pm »

Wish I'd saved the log (Darn you, CouncilRoom!), but I lost a game a few weeks ago against someone who opened Potion on a board where Golem was the only Potion-cost, then proceeded to buy 2 Scouts, and repeatedly Golem'd into the 2 Scouts. With no Action-Victory on the board. It was a terrible, terrible strategy. But luck is indeed a big part of the game.
If you know what day you played on, you can download all the logs for the day

Quote from: isotropic faq
If you want more details on each game, you have to download the daily tarball of complete game logs and be prepared to do a bit of simple HTML parsing (regex matching should work well enough). For 11 October 2010:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201010/11/all.tar.bz2
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

cherdano

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 05:43:01 pm »

You'd be hard-pressed to get an engine going at all, much less find the cards that you want to trash, if you skip the trashing first and let your opponent inundate you with Curses.
Maybe what I wrote sounded as if I waited until turn 10 to pick up a steward. Say I start with miltia/village at turn 1/2, a wharf and another village at turn 3/4, and then a steward around turn 5 or 6. I would argue that my draw from wharves will more than make up for the delay in trashing.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 06:20:52 pm »

Well, that is highly dependent on shuffle luck. If your Wharf, Steward, or Militia collide without a Village to play them, what do you play?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.